Electric Seat Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Seat Issue

Hey Folks, I have an 09 elite estate with a full electric seat. It recently failed its MOT due to the drivers seat not being able to move fore and aft( I’ve owned the car about a year now and it worked to put it in position when I first got it and I’ve never had to change it since, so I never noticed it was bust). The lumbar, memory and heat work fine. Just the tilt, the up, down, fore and aft have packed in. I have gone through the procedures of checking the fuses and the seat switch and I’ve come to resolution of just changing the seat to a manual fore and aft one from another car just to get it through it’s MOT. Here’s the kicker, I’m 6’4” and the seat is practically all the way back, covering the two torx bolts I need to get to to change the seat. I have read on a bunch of threads that there is possibly a way to move the seat manually with a special tool, but for the life of me I cannot find this tool or anything to indicate what it even looks like or what I could use instead. I literally only need to move the seat forward a few inches to get to the bolts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Your best checking the switch pack - its behind the buttons on the side of the seat.
    Can't remember if the front is screwed in or just clipped on, but put your head in the footwell and look back towards the plastic side cover and check, if there is a screw it will be a T25, undo that if not just lift the plastic up and it should come free
    Undo the screw on the back of the seat (rear footwell), then lift off from the back to the front.
    You should be able to then see the switch pack, best to remove the connection and refit.

If that doesn't work, you can manually adjust the seat but its a slow process - you can either remove the cushion trim and gain access to the motor

Or reach under the seat and pull the motor out, lift up to disengage from the frame, then pull the two tubes out either side.
    Then it's just a case of turning the metal ends, until the seat is in a position to remove the rear bolts.

I will take a picture later on today

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve tried removing and refitting the switch pack, even disassembling and spraying with contact cleaner, but unfortunately that didn’t work.

So it looks like it’ll have to be the manual way. I have a replacement seat ready and understand I’ll probably have to change the belt tensioner too. But that sounds like a straightforward process once the current seat is out.

Again, I really appreciate you getting back to me as quick as you did.

Comment

With the motor removed you will be left with the two wires shown in the attached pictures,
        Just turn them by hand and the seat will move, you will need to turn one side for a bit then swap over or the seat will twist
        Attached Files

Comment

The old seat is out and and the new seat is in. Thank you so much for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X