Likes Likes:  0
    Car
    2009 Insignia 2.0 CDTI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2009 2.0 CDTI Seized now freed and running... was it even seized???

Forum Key Rings
    Hi all,

I'm looking for advice, or anyone who might be able to shed light on my insignia (suspected) engine issues.... so, over a month ago now, my 2009 insignia CDTI died at around 60mph, no warning lights, or odd engine noises etc... no warning what so ever, I was accelerating at the time. I pulled over, and it would not turn over. RAC came out, tested battery, fine... attached starter pack, still would not turn over, tried to turn engine on breaker bar, and informed me that the engine had seized!

next day, I attached a breaker bar and tried to turn the engine, it turned, but was very tight. I removed the glow plugs, and sprayed a high performance lubricating oil for seized parts into the cylinders... left overnight, and tried turning again... still tight. left for a number of weeks... bought another car, advertised on Ebay as non runner...

a number of weeks later, car still not sold, I decided to take the drive belt off and check the engine again.... it was still tight, but possibly a little easier to turn... put drive belt back on, decided that the drive belt being removed did not make any difference, but perhaps the lubricating oil had loosened the engine a bit.

Charged battery

Tonight, I tried starting the engine again on the starter motor.... it turned... very slowly... persisted, it turned better.... kept going and eventually the engine fired, and died.... tried again, eventually it started ran for a few seconds and died... kept at it, it ran, but would die if I pressed the accelerator. when it was running though, it sounded ok. left it for a bit, tried again, left it running a number of minutes, then turned off.... now it starts fine, revs fine, drives fine, and sounds normal... although i don't dare run it longer than 5 mins..... no warning lights.

during the whole process, the only odd signs in the engine bay was a slight electrical smell, and possibly a wisp of smoke towards the back of the engine when i was first trying to start it... but I put this down to the work I was putting on the starter motor.... other than that, no odd noises from the engine, no oil leaks....

what happened? and what do i do next?

I am thinking I need to drain the oil, perhaps flush the engine with some kind of engine flush although I have read mixed opinions on using engine flush... any thoughts on this?

Are there any signs i should be looking/listening for, it sounds ok to me, but i'm no mechanic

If i take it to a garage, how are they possibly going to diagnose this without stripping the engine?

Has anyone else had similar issues? i have read a number of posts about oil flow issues with this engine, but surely if there was a blockage I would have had a low oil pressure warning light?

...Happy the car is running again, but would really appreciate some advise on what I should do next?

Drift King

Car
    2015 Insignia hatch
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the oil seal between the pump and pick up pipe fails on these engine,usually on the older higher mileage cars,resulting in bottom end failure/seizure. but if yours is running again with no noises ,don't know what to suggest tbh
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav Biturbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash . LED Fog surrounds.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs all round. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.

Car
    2ltr Elite Turbo Hatch Manual with all the toys and more
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get the timing checked as the belt may have jumped a tooth or 2??? Get a code reader (OPCOM or similar) on it to see if anything is stored
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Car
    2009 Insignia 2.0 CDTI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses.... If the timing belt had jumped, would it not be running really rough? i.e out of time? or not run at all? now its running, the engine sounds fine.

I am planning to do an engine flush to clean out any gunk that might be causing blockages, and to replace the oil, so I know that it is the correct grade... and see to what comes out, then fill with new oil, and try running the car for a bit to see how it runs...

Also the lack of warning lights is still baffling me... is it possible that a warning light can be bypassed? Reading into the issues with these engines, and speaking to a couple of garages, they all say the issues start with an intermittent oil pressure warning light.... I have never had the red oil light flash up, i'm pretty sure it illuminates when you put the key in the ignition.. as it should do (i will double check tonight)