Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Main Dealer Service experience (spoiler: not great)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Main Dealer Service experience (spoiler: not great)

Just had my diesel 2014 Insignia serviced at the main dealer and thought I would share some experiences. (Warranty ended last December so 1st service that I could have done myself without the 'stamp' but as it was the 4th year service, I left it another year at the dealers.

Before I go off on a rant, what's the opinion of a Vauxhall dealer using non-Vauxhall parts - Comline air filter was fitted - this not frowned upon or completely normal? £8 or so from eBay!

So, dropped it off with a flat battery in the remote (car dash reporting it was flat too). Checked the voltage and it was 2.82v.

4th year service so all the filters and oil. They do a fun video too now pointing out that my rear shock covers/bump stops have dropped and clearly touting for another £101. They didn’t notice that they failed 2 years ago and never reported it until now. See if they notice them next year…

Picked the car up later and deliberately asked about things including the remote battery. It is stamped in the book as being changed and the chap behind the counter confirmed it would have been changed. Got the key and it refused to start cleanly - just turned over but failed to fire. Retried and it did after a bit. The fuel filter was just done so I thought "sure, there must be a bit of air. It will clear"

Drove a 0.5km out of the village and realised the dash dials were dead! No speedo, no rev counter and no fuel. The temp must be analogue or something as it worked. I was going to be late to pick the little one up from school so couldn’t turn back. Nor did I dare stop and reset the car in case it never started.

Got home, turned off, tried a restart and it was mega slow start still (cranked fine just didn’t fire). It usually 'starts on the button'. Rang the dealer and reported the dash dials and slow start. Then realised the car was still showing the remote battery was flat so asked him about that. He went to speak to the 'technician' and he confirmed that he had changed it.

Not happy, I had to rebook for the following day but there was every chance that the starting (fuel) issue would be resolved by then. That evening the car flashed up with "service 'tyre monitoring system'". WTF?! I also checked the voltage of the duff battery - 2.82v. Remember, "it was changed".

Next day when I arrived, abruptly they ask me how they could help, knowing blatantly who I was and the service chap spoke to me, not the 2 main desk guys who blanked me. Clearly he knew I was arriving and was pretty abrupt and rude. He immediately pulled the remote battery and chucked it.

They checked the fuel filter housing and everything was normal so they brought it back around. I asked about the dials "You didn’t tell us about that". Yes I did! "If we had known, we would have plugged it in…". I explained again that I did inform the chaps behind the desk.

Back around to the workshop it goes to be plugged in. 20 mins later he returns, slightly more polite and reveals that there are many codes logged now (low head pressure, IC issues within the car electronics plus codes for collision detection - I don’t even have that). Clearly the slow starting produced lots of codes but then the internal electronics produced lots too. They were cleared again and didn’t return on a test drive. They were fresh since the day before too.

I questioned the battery and a load of faff came out of his mouth. I told them not to bother - they clearly use Maxell batteries there and the old Panasonic was one that I had before. More excuses so I asked them not to insult my intelligence any more. Just accept it was not changed!

Car seems fine now (although being told it was starting fine when I left again but it still look a few more turns to start isn't "fine" to me). Cleared by the time I had finished with the motorway on the way home.

The biggest thing I take from all this is the remote battery. Sure it's only a 50p or so part but don’t lie to me! You have been caught out! Not great when I have to go around, pull the cabin and air filter to make sure they got changed too (and haven't got my hand writing on them still).

For a 4th year service and MOT I paid £266 (assisted with the Vauxhall Service card thing). Next time it is an oil change only and I either forget the dealer stamp now or go to the other Vauxhall dealership in Southampton (Doves) and assume they would be better (or of course do it myself - I always did my old Cavalier before and the wifes car still).

The dealer in question is one of the Picador Vauxhall sites in Lyndhurst (New Forest). I should have learnt when I had to shout to get the pedal box changed under warranty due to the dreaded clicking clutch pedal.

Is it just my bad luck or is this normal? Love to know whether after-market (not VX branded) filters are the norm too.

Comline filters are a recommended brand by vauxhall and will not invalidate any vauxhall warranty.
    LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
      Comline filters are a recommended brand by vauxhall and will not invalidate any vauxhall warranty.

Now I know - thanks for the info

Comment

Many years ago I was in a Ford dealers parts department. One of the mechanics came from the workshop and asked 'can I change these plugs for ones for a (cannot remember which model). The only thing I could think of was that a car was in for service including plug change but in the mechanics opinion they did not need changing so he would have a set of plugs for either his car or one of his 'privates'.....with the poor sucker whose car was being service paying for them.

Comment

I remember my Mum had an Astra, we took it to the Vauxhall dealer and they once failed to install the oil sump correctly after a service (kind of basic) and we ended up with the oil dumped all over the drive overnight.

Complained and they gave us a refund but haven't gone back

Comment

Nice! Didn't even think about asking that one!

Just completed the Vauxhall customer satisfaction survey that I was sent. I wonder if the dealer will ring me to 'follow up'...?!

Comment

I feel the issue is that since laws lacked in regards to dealers forcing cars to be serviced at a dealer they have being skrimpimg and saving on employing staff with bad wages.

Find yourself a decent back street mechanic. Being using one in St Helens for years now. Massively undercuts main dealers and has resolved issues these "main dealers" wanted 80 quid to even look at it.

Comment

I've had similar experiences with Ford dealers, quoting for unnecessary work, not carrying out all the work they charge for, evading warranty claims, etc, but have generally had better service from VX dealers. That said, one did a diagnostic check, found a failed glow plug and wanted to replace all four at a cost of £650. I took it to a small local garage, who confirmed the failed glow plug but just replaced that one, at a cost of £129. I know the thinking is that if one fails the others won't be far behind, but I ran the car for a further two years without that happening. The local place's hourly rate is only a little over half the main dealer's, too.

Comment

Working...
                X