Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless car charger install

Hello...

New to the forum, looks super, seen some nice ideas already.

Thought I’d post a small job I did today....I like my tech and recently got a phone which supports wireless charging so decided to install a wireless car charger in my Insignia. It’s a bit OTT and it covers the cup holders which I don’t really use but as I said, I like my tech!!

Here’s a few photos:

Purchased charger on Amazon
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C9B451B7-C302-47A2-9186-92C1E1953479.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	248869

Cut template of cup holder:

Name:	FB9EC7D1-2C5D-4A4E-B39A-6613793922C3.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	248870

Used template to cut charger to size

Name:	FD38B838-9C8A-4AD0-9C16-01C603367D98.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	248871

Routed cable through cutouts in the cup holder (e.g. the cut outs for the “springed” plastic holder) and into USB ports

Name:	365368B8-36A5-46C4-8631-C44C966B14BC.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	248872

Job done. No cables visible.

Name:	F9BF21F2-40C7-400F-B008-7508130A84DC.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	248873

Hi,

Nice tidy job, that!

Post a pic of you car too!
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum

Comment

Handy for those who don't use their cup holders. I love mine

One thing though wireless charging is slow. Maximum they put out from the ones i seen is 1A (1000mAh) which won't charge much on a modern smartphone battery.
        The usb feed you using is only putting out 500mAh is that enough to make the charger work, ones i seen require 2A input and 1A output.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
          The usb feed you using is only putting out 500mAh is that enough to make the charger work, ones i seen require 2A input and 1A output.
          Thanks for the spec.
          I had it in mind and I was going to monitor it.
          So far it’s working fine and charging. If it’s not enough I’ll route the cable around to a USB port in the cig lighter socket.

Comment

Originally posted by daithiyup View Post
            Thanks for the spec.
            I had it in mind and I was going to monitor it.
            So far it’s working fine and charging. If it’s not enough I’ll route the cable around to a USB port in the cig lighter socket.
            You need something like this and tap into the wires behind the front or rear lighter socket

Comment

Working...
            X