No announcement yet.

Electric Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mate has a VW Tiguan, and council kindly fitted him a Car Electric Charger to his house, pity the other 300 Council Houses around him have
    none can you imagine the queues at his house, and he will not pay the leccy bill, the infrastructure to make electric cars viable is 30 yrs off...

Hybrids are the only way to go is my take on it...

Comment

I'm 68 years old.I'll be sticking with petrol even if the 2030 deadline on 'no more fossil fuelled vehicles' is delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by huey45 View Post
        My mate has a VW Tiguan, and council kindly fitted him a Car Electric Charger to his house, pity the other 300 Council Houses around him have
        none can you imagine the queues at his house, and he will not pay the leccy bill, the infrastructure to make electric cars viable is 30 yrs off...

Hybrids are the only way to go is my take on it...
        We are very much looking at one as a second car for short journeys, daily commute for one of us things like that. We will have the Insignia for the time being and then whatever replaces that in 18 months or so will be ICE, maybe hybrid for longer journeys.

The Corsa-e we had on a 48hr test drive was very good and it did a 100 mile journey to see some family on one of the days pretty comfortably. Knocking around town either side of that was very impressive. It was a very relaxing way to drive with just the stop and go pedals and barely any noise. On the motorway it had plenty of go although you did get through the battery a bit if you really pushed on and you had to be careful you didnt as it was so quite and picks up so quick even at those speeds.

My daily commute is about 70 miles round trip and the Corsa would comfortably do that, my wifes is less plus they have a load of chargers in the car park at their big new offices so we'd be charging it for nowt a lot of the week when she goes back to the office more.

Comment

Well we've taken the plunge!! Had some stuff planned for yesterday but the rain put pay to that so instead we found ourselves at the Vauxhall dealer in Ilkeston. Turned out they only had two Corsa-e's in stock, a white SRI and a black SRI, neither of which the other half was keen on with no heated seats a bit part of it so ended up placing an order for a Corsa-e Elite Nav Premium in Quartz Grey with black roof. Looking at September for delivery however as there is a shortage of cars and parts currently apparently. Not a major issue as we still have the Insignia and the Passat we've borrowed from the wifes work.

Will look pretty similar to this one once its actually built - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...levance&page=1

Also got a deal on a 7kw Pod Point charger at home through it all as well which seeing as the car wont roll up until September we have plenty of time to get installed!

Comment

All for it. Electric cars was discussed as the future of transport when i was at school just before the millennium. I never liked the petrol cars, the lack of torque, turbo petrol is a heavy drinker. Turbo diesel are very nice to drive and torquey but has too many emission control that will clog the engine/exhaust system. That being said after i hand this Mazda back i be going back to a diesel. For electric cars i wait til they do 500+ miles on one full charge. Charging in public places still take a lot of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
              All for it. Electric cars was discussed as the future of transport when i was at school just before the millennium. I never liked the petrol cars, the lack of torque, turbo petrol is a heavy drinker. Turbo diesel are very nice to drive and torquey but has too many emission control that will clog the engine/exhaust system. That being said after i hand this Mazda back i be going back to a diesel. For electric cars i wait til they do 500+ miles on one full charge. Charging in public places still take a lot of your time.
              I think we're still a bit off where we can go full electric but i do think folk saying they need 500miles plus on one charge are over estimating what they can do. No one will do that in one sitting, if you are doing 250/300 miles you need a good break anyway. In the case of this corsa it will do 180-200 miles on a full charge and then on a 100kw charger like you find at service stations it charge from 0 to 80% in 25mins which will probably be as long as it takes to go in for the loo and queue up to get a drink etc. Yes its not as easy as just filling up but i think in time its going to get better.

The most i've done in a day was racing through France in our last insignia after breaking down setting off home on the Saturday so Monday was spend racing north after the car was fixed. Did 600\650 miles that day and by the time we reached our overnight stop i was broken and it was only really blasting up the motorway with a couple of service station stops for food and drink.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post

I do think folk saying they need 500miles plus on one charge are over estimating what they can do. No one will do that in one sitting, if you are doing 250/300 miles you need a good break anyway.
                Yeah its just easy not to think about fuelling up (charging up) on a long trip out and thinking the need to fill up at expensive places. Just want to get to the destination and back home using the same tank (charge).

Comment

Fast charging has the potential to destroy the batteries in 3 years apparently with an estimated replacement cost of between 3 and 7K. I don't think I have had a modern phone for 3 years without having to change the battery twice!. Production of the power needed is also as stated by a previous poster going to be either nuclear or coal which is hardly environmentally friendly. Imagine when Joe Scum's charging cable breaks at a cost of £400, is he going to pop to the local dealer for a replacement or perhaps visit a dark street in the dead of night? I know which one my money is on. Hydrogen fuel cells are a more viable option for the long term as hydrogen is one of the most abundant elements in the universe. Whoever cracks the cheap way to separate it will be a rich person. Loads of development going on in this area as well but expensive until extraction is cracked. I'll wait as with my annual mileage of nearly 40k I would need three years of charging time for a year of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Humbug View Post
                    Fast charging has the potential to destroy the batteries in 3 years apparently with an estimated replacement cost of between 3 and 7K. I don't think I have had a modern phone for 3 years without having to change the battery twice!.
                    Yeah thats a worry especially buying used. When the car is new it does 500 miles full charge and buying it used it can only do 250 miles for full charge.

Comment

For the time being for us i doubt this Corsa-e will be used for long journeys, my 70 mile round trip to work will be the longest it does i suspect so it wont see a fast charger very often if at all. It will mainly be on the charger at home with occasionally being charged at my wifes office where they have some chargers in place for folk to use. I think as and when we change the Insignia we may look at hybrid.

Comment

Well my "take" on the electric car syndrome,
                        And I've said it before.
                        How is electricity made ?
                        Is it orgasmed or produced in buildings where smoke billows out of a freelance chimney?
                        Also the infrastructure is a diablo mess !
                        Also the peeps who charge them in our local Tesco have no clue how or where to park .
                        I wish everyone well with there spankey new electronic car but remember 6 months time and it's old .
                        Battery's you are better off leasing the battery's than buying them outright .
                        For me it's diesel all the way .!
                        Whatever they are trying to do to save the planet
                        I'm sorry friends the damage was done years ago in the industrial Revolution!
                        Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I tend to think of coal as carbon neutral when you look at how it is formed, trees millions of years ago removed tons of CO2 from the atmosphere as a natural process. All we are doing now is releasing the carbon that they removed previously back into the atmosphere. Granted its a bit of a while after they removed it but they are not releasing more than they took in a few years ago. The carbon was in the air, the trees removed it, we burn it and it gets put back to where it came from. Maybe a bit simplistic?

Comment

Hi all
                            my wife as a mitsubishi outlander phev hybrid and all i can say is she loves it only cost 34 pence to charge and where she was putting in £300 a month in fuel in her old car she filled the outlander up a month ago and it's still got a full tank
                            So it's a from me

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                              Well my "take" on the electric car syndrome,
                              Whatever they are trying to do to save the planet
                              I'm sorry friends the damage was done years ago in the industrial Revolution!
                              There were signs the air quality had improved during the 1st lockdown. With hardly any cars on the road, businesses shut. Essential travel only and to a bare minimum. There were good improvements. Even the wild life came out.

Comment

So many hybrid variation available, dont get confused a hybrid vehicle is all the same. I be interested in the Plug In Hybrid.
                                https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...rids-explained

Comment

Working...
                                X