Electric Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Cars

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of any of the electric cars that are now available?

Situation at home has changed that after years of working about a mile from home i recently took VR, had a year off with my little one and the dog and have now (after a 4 week stint as a postman) have a job back in IT but it involves a 60 mile round commute from Chesterfield to Derby. We'll be keeping the Insignia GS Tourer we got back in March as the family load lugger and being a 1.5 turbo petrol its not bad fuel wise anyway but i'm pondering ideas to replace our 64 plate 1.6 Astra which is a bit lacklustre in favour of something thats more economical\cheaper to run both for my 60 mile trip and possibly short trips round and about at home.

60 miles seems to be well within the capabilities of most electric cars these days and just a case of plugging it in at home to charge each night. I'm just not sure whether full electric is the best way, one of the many fangled hybrid options or some super economical small car. The drive to Derby is partly country roads, then A38 dual carridgeway and finally the city centre roads of Derby.

Personally my take on electric cars is that there still some way to come and that's in the charging department.

Sure there capible of doing 150 miles on a single charge. That single charge on a 3 pin socket taking 24 hours. To improve this your required to purchase a "fast charger" which I've heard can cost as little as 2k.

The idea of longer journeys being planned by plotting in-between charging points seem more of a back step to me.

Each to there own but I would personally wait for the infrastructure to build up prior to placing the amount they want for one of these electric cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
      Personally my take on electric cars is that there still some way to come and that's in the charging department.

Sure there capible of doing 150 miles on a single charge. That single charge on a 3 pin socket taking 24 hours. To improve this your required to purchase a "fast charger" which I've heard can cost as little as 2k.

The idea of longer journeys being planned by plotting in-between charging points seem more of a back step to me.

Each to there own but I would personally wait for the infrastructure to build up prior to placing the amount they want for one of these electric cars.
      A new lidl just got built in Barton on Humber, it has x2 fast charging ports for cars. They are starting to build things up. Volvo have stopped developing the diesel engine, and VW are aiming to sell min 1million electric cars per year from 2020, and the electric Golf does sound good. Im still not convinced about the safety of them. Look at phones, bigger, better more powerful, last longer, work faster, do more, batteries explode!!! Then there is the lack of noise for both pedestrians and other drivers, you dont know they are there until they hit you, bit like damn cyclists

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Got an email from vx asking me to do a survey about what I wanted from electric. According to them they're going to have electric versions of all models by 2024. Be interesting to see what the insignia is like. I bet they'll add 20k to the price tag.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Electric is okay in the city but infrastructure in rural areas is pretty poor, (know a guy who took 7 hours to get home from Edinburgh 70miles because all the charge points were broken).
          If I had to buy one I would go for a Petrol Hybrid like the Audi A3 E-Tron
          sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

I have had a test drive if the merc C300 hybrid 2.0 diesel/electric and they are rapid when it switches to electric and so silent its weird .

Comment

Just watch insurance premiums sky rocket due to the expense incurred for repairing these electric cars after a crash
              Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

So if,every single driver in England went out this week and bought an electric car..would we run out of supply?
                and tie it in with a cold snap...we’d be f**ked.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by conno57 View Post
                  I have had a test drive if the merc C300 hybrid 2.0 diesel/electric and they are rapid when it switches to electric and so silent its weird .
                  My gaffer has a Golf GTE,,they are good too,very torquey,goes like **** off a shovel
                  ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

They might be environmentally friendly now, but what about in 3+ years when the batteries are f***ked, how are they gonna dispose of them?
                    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

They might be Duracell that just keep running and runni........

Comment

I have yet to see electric that would be capable of towing a twin axle caravan.

Comment

It’s all a very new thought and just pondering ways to make things cheaper in terms of running the cars. I now have a 60 mile round trip for work, the wife does about 25 and we have a lot of coming and going with the little one. We’ve got a drive and garage where charging wouldn’t be an issue although we’d probably have to stump up for a proper charge point and we’d have the Siggy Tourer for long journeys etc so it’s not all in on the electric route. Thankfully we don’t have anything to tow let alone a massive caravan!

There are probably all sorts of options we could go down but I don’t know know enough about electric cars to know if it would be viable or not. Only reason I’m even thinking about them is my wife’s cousin has just bought a Renault Zoe and really likes it.

Comment

Not so good if you live in a flat.

Comment

I worked for Toyota for 10 years, one of the leaders an pioneers in Electric vehicles.

Personally, i think its a fad, and the latest thing, much like diesel was a decade or more ago. Now look at them!

I know the carbon footprint of maniufacturing a Prius, used to be horrendus. The Lithium was mined one side of the world, shipped to the other, shipped back, etc. Not to mention Lithium supplies arent looking great.
                              All that aside, charging them is still using nuclear or coal mostly when it boils down to it.

Add in all the zero road tax. Thats just isnt sustainable. What happens when more people are driving these low / zero tax diesels, petrols and hybrids.

Comment

Working...
                              X