Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had service, are these prices from vauxhall realistic, bit worried as 1 is dear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had service, are these prices from vauxhall realistic, bit worried as 1 is dear.

Hi, not long had a service and they havw put that there are some things that should be looked at soon and the prices for them, the dearesr thing being a new oil cooling unit, but are the prices very high and would i get them much cheaper at a normal garage?

Discs / drums
    Front brake discs 27.6mm min 27mm - £354.00

Discs / drums
    Rear brake discs 9.8mm min 10mm - £269.00

Slight oil leak from oil cooler req. new unit - £813.00

Rear shock absorbers dust covers split req. new - £160.20 (not sure if this is each or for the 2)? seems very dead for covers either way.

Any advice would be great

James

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners/re...e-repairs.html

I got front pads and discs for £245 after the 25% discount. Official parts are expensive so you'd make a decent saving shopping around

Comment

The brakes sound about right for dealer prices, a good independent would charge half that, for good quality aftermarket parts. I would wait until the pads are ready before changing the discs, providing the discs are otherwise in good condition. The pads have to be changed with new discs anyway.

The dust shrouds are certainly not critical on rear shocks, I would let your MOT tester have a look at the next MOT.

It does sound rather a lot of money for the oil cooler, aftermarket replacements are generally around £40-£60 depending on which engine it is. A genuine part will be many times that price, they always are for the more obscure parts. Don't see why the labour cost should be a fortune, but the job will entail an oil change, and coolant too unless the pipes are clamped off. Personally, I would thoroughly clean and degrease around the oil cooler and check that it is actually leaking, it can sometimes be coming from somewhere else. If it's a cdti it could be the seal on the oil filter housing, or even spillage from topping up.

Unless you a maintaining a warranty, or you find genuine parts at a good price, I wouldn't get too hung up about sticking to genuine parts. Good quality branded aftermarket parts are just as good. Likewise, a good independent garage can save you a small fortune - most dealers charge £90+ per hour for labour, the garage who do all my MOTs charge £35 per hour - he's been at it all his life and knows his stuff. Avoid the Kwik-Fits and Halfords of this world, they often try to charge prices that are not far off the main dealers, and often use the cheapest factor parts they can get.

Comment

Working...
      X