Clutch Performance Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew View Post
    I might be repeating myself here, but it's interesting to note that the 2.0 diesel in the facelift b has had a retune. It now produces another 4ps but only 381nm instead of the previous 400nm . Maybe a software update would herald the same result and save the clutch. I think any higher outputs are limited to auto gearboxes. Also I think the software they have is probably similar to abs on your brakes and it senses when slip is about to happen and backs the power off to prevent it giving you a warning at the same time. Do you see the revs rise disproportionately to the speed?
    I didn't check revs but I think they didn't. I tried to reproduce this issue today on 80miles trip but with no luck which is worrying. There is also the same discussion on Polish Insignia community forum and people claim that Opel garage fix this issue for free in Poland.

Comment

• Originally posted by localsystemuser View Post
      I didn't check revs but I think they didn't. I tried to reproduce this issue today on 80miles trip but with no luck which is worrying. There is also the same discussion on Polish Insignia community forum and people claim that Opel garage fix this issue for free in Poland.
      If the clutch was slipping you would see/hear the revs rise quicker than the car was accelerating so maybe this reduction in power is what is meant to happen. It could be that it's over sensitive but it sounds like it's there to protect the clutch, but I can imagine the frustration when you gun it for an overtake and at that moment it cuts your power!

Comment

If the clutch was slipping you would see/hear the revs rise quicker than the car was accelerating so maybe this reduction in power is what is meant to happen. It could be that it's over sensitive but it sounds like it's there to protect the clutch, but I can imagine the frustration when you gun it for an overtake and at that moment it cuts your power!
        ok, I had a chat with local Vauxhall garage ...and they never heard about his issue.

Comment

• If you read this whole thread there are dealers who are denying all knowledge of this symptom / fault .
          Even customer services are keeping it quiet up to a point .
          There's even a link on here from the Astra K forum with the same issue .
          An Astra K owner even came on here with the same issue .
          In my mind for vauxhall to take notice and " do the right thing " they have to first admit the issue exsist .
          But to admit that ,there would be a lot of owners employing solisiters .
          For it to be a "recall " or for dealers to effect a repair FOC then it would have to be a safety issue , or enough owners getting in touch
          With certain body's , I don't know if VOSA or whoever are the bodies to push GM into such action .
          But it just goes to show the power of this fantastic forum , that people have shared there issue ,and that through this other owners have been able to get the issue fixed FOC .
          Because they have printed off this thread and showed it to dealers and customer services .
          It's funny how this thread started .
          And when the op explained the issue on here really no one believed him .
          Until others confirmed it had happened to them .

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

ok, I had a chat with local Vauxhall garage ...and they never heard about his issue.
            I have the September 2017 edition of the Owners manual that came with the car, I have photographed p177 where it clearly refers to this issue so I don't see how they can deny knowledge. It's reasonable I would have thought for this not to be occurring on a low mileage car?

Except I have just found it won't upload!

If you have an owners manual it should be there!

I'll upload it when it lets me.
            Last edited by Drew; 13-07-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I have the September 2017 edition of the Owners manual that came with the car, I have photographed p177 where it clearly refers to this issue so I don't see how they can deny knowledge. It's reasonable I would have thought for this not to be occurring on a low mileage car?

Except I have just found it won't upload!

If you have an owners manual it should be there!

I'll upload it when it lets me.
              I'm currently having the same issue.....car been with garage for almost a week now. Here's a quick screenshot of the manual page that you're talking about....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200716-094431.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	247731

Comment

• I couldn't upload pics the other day after the server move, but I thought that might help anyone going to the dealer with the problem as it shows you get the message when the clutch is slipping. I would be showing them that page.

Comment

I couldn't upload pics the other day after the server move, but I thought that might help anyone going to the dealer with the problem as it shows you get the message when the clutch is slipping. I would be showing them that page.
                  Depends on the dealer....but it seems that even pics and a video of the thing happening isn't enough for the 2 dealers that I've been dealing with for the past year. If they can't see it happening in person, they say they pretty much can't do anything?! Very difficult to precisely describe how to make the problem happen for someone else when you're not with them. I miss the days when you could take a technician on a short drive to demonstrate the problem....
                  Lost count of the number of times I've been told that because there's no fault code stored, there's nothing they can do?!

Comment

• Originally posted by deveus View Post
                    Depends on the dealer....but it seems that even pics and a video of the thing happening isn't enough for the 2 dealers that I've been dealing with for the past year. If they can't see it happening in person, they say they pretty much can't do anything?! Very difficult to precisely describe how to make the problem happen for someone else when you're not with them. I miss the days when you could take a technician on a short drive to demonstrate the problem....
                    Lost count of the number of times I've been told that because there's no fault code stored, there's nothing they can do?!
                    hi and weclome
                    As your not a new member but you've never introduced yourself

would you care to visit this section of the forum...………….

and introduce yourself properly to everyone.

Tell us a bit about yourself and maybe share a pic or 2 of your car.

Thanks...………...much appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by deveus View Post
                      Wilson's at Scunthorpe will happily let a technician go for a test drive with you. When they couldn't find a fault on my old Astra J they let one of the receptionist a take it for a drive because she had the same make and model and knew how they drove [emoji23]

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Ok, my update to that. I've gave a call to the local Vauxhall dealer/garage in Huntingdon and they've asked me to bring the car to investigate the issue they've never heard about before Of course they were unable to reproduce the issue so they were unable to raise the case with Vauxhall about that. The good thing was, I haven't paid anything for that. That was in July. Since my visit in the Vauxhall garage that never happened again. In the meantime I've been by car in the Italy travelling at high speeds on motorways (Cambs -> Rome -> Pisa -> Naples -> Venice -> Cambs) trying to reproduce the issue many times but with no luck. Either I'm lucky and it fixed itself or Vauxhall garage did something in secret.

Comment

• So... update. I went straight to Vauxhall via customer services. They took over the case and went as far as liasing with the garages for bookings etc so I didn't have to.
                          Turns out that the problem that 'wasn't there' actually required a new clutch master cylinder, clutch AND flywheel. Even managed to get my MOT done for free as way of an apology for being messed around.

Comment

• gaundvd
                            gaundvd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you for your reply. Got my car back and they told me they have re-programmed / updated software on ECU. Now at the same speed and acceleration I don’t get an error message (reduce performance reduce clutch use) I just get the revs spike. not massively but the loss of power for a couple of seconds. I think they have just turned off the error reporting.
                            What garage did you go to and did they give you an invoice showing the works carried out ?

• deveus
                            deveus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It will get worse.....all they've done is disabled the warning message. The problem is still happening.
                            I'm sure there was another post on here about someone having that 'update' installed also.
                            The loss of power "for a couple of seconds" eventually became, no power at all.....just revs bouncing up and down but car not really getting anywhere.
                            It was an Arnold Clark Vauxhall dealership and no, no paperwork i'm afraid.....this all happened right in the middle of lockdown so they weren't handing out paperwork. I had service and MOT done at same time it was in and didn't even get the original MOT cert!

• gaundvd
                            gaundvd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for your reply is your car sorted now that they have replaced those parts. Are you ok me printing this and handing over to the service manager that’s dealing with my car ?

• Update from my original post on page 5:

My 2018 Insignia sports tourer 1.6 diesel 136ps is in at the moment for its 4th clutch replacement at 49,500 miles. No quibbles this time, as its gone back to the same garage that fitted the 3rd clutch. Phoned up, said it was slipping again and that I had numerous videos to demonstrate the revs rising with the speedometer staying at the same speed. I had to take it in so they could do a ECU data dump to open the warranty case and I shared the videos with them, then they got the OK from Vauxhall to honour the warranty and ordered the new clutch kit that took a good few weeks and a bit of chasing on my part for them to confirm they had received it in stock.

It has already previously had the software update that removes the error message and stops the engine cutting power, instead it just lets it rev through the issue, my opinion is that this update also reduces the peak torque and spreads it through the range - mine slips around 1850-2200rpm when accelerating through from around 1600 in 4th 5th and 6th gear, the way to avoid the slip is to rag the car and keep the revs above 2300rpm, then the car behaves. When the garages test the car themselves they always rag the car which due to the nature of the fault requiring the correct rev range the problem never shows, they then hand the car back saying there is no issue - make sure you know where the fault occurs and drive the car with them as a passenger or video the fault yourself.

The first two clutches were standard parts, the 3rd which lasted a lot longer, but which now slips, was a non-standard part number which the garage told me was an up rated clutch Vauxhall were rolling out.

Every time they remove the old clutch there is no obvious sign of excessive wear.

Car is a company lease vehicle, I have told our fleet department to reject the vehicle and the lease company are apparently in ongoing discussions with Vauxhall on rejecting the vehicle but I suspect nothing will happen or Vauxhall are hoping a 4th clutch will fix the issue so they don't have to take the vehicle back.

Garages in Guildford (clutch 3 & 4), Aldershot (clutch 2) & Eastbourne (clutch 1) know of the issue as they have done the work on mine over the last 20 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wibble View Post
                            Update from my original post on page 5:

My 2018 Insignia sports tourer 1.6 diesel 136ps is in at the moment for its 4th clutch replacement at 49,500 miles. No quibbles this time, as its gone back to the same garage that fitted the 3rd clutch. Phoned up, said it was slipping again and that I had numerous videos to demonstrate the revs rising with the speedometer staying at the same speed. I had to take it in so they could do a ECU data dump to open the warranty case and I shared the videos with them, then they got the OK from Vauxhall to honour the warranty and ordered the new clutch kit that took a good few weeks and a bit of chasing on my part for them to confirm they had received it in stock.

It has already previously had the software update that removes the error message and stops the engine cutting power, instead it just lets it rev through the issue, my opinion is that this update also reduces the peak torque and spreads it through the range - mine slips around 1850-2200rpm when accelerating through from around 1600 in 4th 5th and 6th gear, the way to avoid the slip is to rag the car and keep the revs above 2300rpm, then the car behaves. When the garages test the car themselves they always rag the car which due to the nature of the fault requiring the correct rev range the problem never shows, they then hand the car back saying there is no issue - make sure you know where the fault occurs and drive the car with them as a passenger or video the fault yourself.

The first two clutches were standard parts, the 3rd which lasted a lot longer, but which now slips, was a non-standard part number which the garage told me was an up rated clutch Vauxhall were rolling out.

Every time they remove the old clutch there is no obvious sign of excessive wear.

Car is a company lease vehicle, I have told our fleet department to reject the vehicle and the lease company are apparently in ongoing discussions with Vauxhall on rejecting the vehicle but I suspect nothing will happen or Vauxhall are hoping a 4th clutch will fix the issue so they don't have to take the vehicle back.

Garages in Guildford (clutch 3 & 4), Aldershot (clutch 2) & Eastbourne (clutch 1) know of the issue as they have done the work on mine over the last 20 months.
                            And as you've been a member for sometime but never introduced yourself to the forum.

Can you pop along here

https://insignia-drivers.uk/forum/we...-introductions

And introduce yourself to the members....maybe share a pic or 2

Thanks.

Comment

• So I took my recently bought car for a holiday. First time I've been driving it for more then 100 km due to working from home. The first time the automatic cruise control accelerated the car from 90 tot 130 km/h the message popped up. . Seems to happen only in sixth and below 100 km/h. Fifth no problems, also higher speed didn't cause issues. When I'm back home I will take it to the dealer as I do have warranty. Hopefully they known the issue. Not a very good start!

Comment

Working...
                              X