Problem after cleaning egr 2.0 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem after cleaning egr 2.0 diesel

Hello everybody, this is my first post so I hope this is in the right place. I have a 2015 insignia elite nav 2.0 diesel, i've had some issues recently with the car going in to limp mode with a service vehicle soon message on the dash within a minute or two of driving. I was told that this could be because the egr was clogged, i removed the egr and the small metal pipe next to it and cleaned them both with degreaser (they were quite sooted up) I then replaced them, got my friend to clear the codes for me and took it for a test drive. Everything was fine for about 10 minutes when suddenly a message saying "car over heating stop engine now" the temprature guage was on max and the engine light was on, (the car had not overheated) the engine was running very rough and barely had enough power to get me to the side of the road. I called my friend out and he checked the codes which were something like throttle possession sensor and egr temp sensor (i know this is probably wrong but i will need to check with him in the morning) he cleared the codes and the car started up straight away with no problems and temp was reading normal again. i drove the car home with no more problems but then as i was pulling in to my street it did it again.

Could this be something I have caused when cleaning the sensor?

I'm sorry about the long post i'm just desperate to get this fixed as its my only car. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks , Rob

Originally posted by rob935 View Post
    Hello everybody, this is my first post so I hope this is in the right place. I have a 2015 insignia elite nav 2.0 diesel, i've had some issues recently with the car going in to limp mode with a service vehicle soon message on the dash within a minute or two of driving. I was told that this could be because the egr was clogged, i removed the egr and the small metal pipe next to it and cleaned them both with degreaser (they were quite sooted up) I then replaced them, got my friend to clear the codes for me and took it for a test drive. Everything was fine for about 10 minutes when suddenly a message saying "car over heating stop engine now" the temprature guage was on max and the engine light was on, (the car had not overheated) the engine was running very rough and barely had enough power to get me to the side of the road. I called my friend out and he checked the codes which were something like throttle possession sensor and egr temp sensor (i know this is probably wrong but i will need to check with him in the morning) he cleared the codes and the car started up straight away with no problems and temp was reading normal again. i drove the car home with no more problems but then as i was pulling in to my street it did it again.

Could this be something I have caused when cleaning the sensor?

I'm sorry about the long post i'm just desperate to get this fixed as its my only car. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks , Rob
    I can only go on when my insignia said over heating stop now. Sounded like a bag of spanners but once the fault was cleared it was like nothing happened.

Under warranty I got a software update and the EGT sensor changed.

But your fault could be different.

I'm assuming if the EGT sensor is not reading correctly then a regen could prematurely engage or not at all.

Weird system, petrol next for me

Comment

Thank's for the reply mate, ive been searching the forums and found a few similar cases, sounds like this could be the problem, i was just confused as it happened so soon after cleaning the egr. now i'm wondering if the egr was actually ok and this was the problem all along. I've ordered a cheap OBDII scanner so will re check the codes when it arrives and maybe order a new egt sensor.

I agree with you about diesels, should have kept my old petrol astra it did 120,000 miles without ever missing a heartbeat.

Comment

Hopefully the code reader reads the codes. I know they're not very good with generic code readers. It's preferably to get op-com as it's a dedicated VX diagnostic software.

Comment

I had this exact fault on my facelift 2014 CDTi , overheating message, car lost most of it's power, sounded like bag of spanners, but engine not hot in the slightest, ... put OB11 scanner on, said Exhaust gas temp sensor fault etc: fitted new sensor in 5 mins (the one at bottom of dpf at the front, about £48.00 off Ebay) cleared stored codes...... car fine since, but now have unrelated DPF problem !

Comment

Working...
          X