Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine RPM and longevity

Hi all.

Driving home from work yesterday evening I started pondering to myself. What do you think?

Back with my 140 bhp pd engine of my Passat the general consensus was to change gear at 3k region. This was deemed the most economical / performance dropping you to around 1800 which was still within boost. This was also the turbos sweet spot and was suppose to keep the turbo veins clear.

Now fast forwarding to the insignia. Mines a 2014 140bhp ecoflex diesel which has that fancy "change your gear now" thing on the display.

This prompts you to change in the 2000 -2500k region and drops to generally 1500 rpm. Which I feel is just ever so slightly before the turbo fully kicks in which leaves a slight pause when putting down the throttle.

Do you guys normally stick to this rmp or when do you normally change gear?

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
    Hi all.

Driving home from work yesterday evening I started pondering to myself. What do you think?

Back with my 140 bhp pd engine of my Passat the general consensus was to change gear at 3k region. This was deemed the most economical / performance dropping you to around 1800 which was still within boost. This was also the turbos sweet spot and was suppose to keep the turbo veins clear.

Now fast forwarding to the insignia. Mines a 2014 140bhp ecoflex diesel which has that fancy "change your gear now" thing on the display.

This prompts you to change in the 2000 -2500k region and drops to generally 1500 rpm. Which I feel is just ever so slightly before the turbo fully kicks in which leaves a slight pause when putting down the throttle.

Do you guys normally stick to this rmp or when do you normally change gear?
    Hi Jon.

I have not had my insignia for long, but at the start i tried to keep to the prompt when changing up the gears, from 4th to 5th and then sixth, i kinda follow the prompts, but from 2nd to 3rd i just ignore the prompts and change when it feels right, i will probably end up ignoring the prompts for the other gears in time, i want to keep the best mpg as possible, but you cant be looking at the dash every time you need to change gear.

Comment

Working...
    X