Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam belt AND water pump.

Hi, newbie here.

Just bought a 2010 Sport Tourer CDTI as a long term do-er upper. Mentioned to the guy at the dealership about the cam belt and pump as there was no history of it being done (sat at 117,000 on the clock).

He said he will be more than happy to do it for £100 which I though was pretty fair. After approaching the subject a week later, he says he only needs to change the belt as the water pump isn't ran by the cam belt.

New to these engines, but from the age of 17 my old man told me if you do one you do both.

Can anyone offer any help please.

Thanks.

The water pump is run by the timing belt, changed mine just over a week ago. For peace of mind you need to change tensioner and pulley as well as pump and belt. Your dad was spot on.

PS. And less of the old

PPS Welcome to the forum.
    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

at that age and mileage,id be reluctant to drive it,till it was done
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I was in a flap as mine was original 9 yrs old(petrol) soon got onto mine!
        Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
        Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks everyone.

So just to be absolutely sure before I go back to him and kindly request all of it is done, the cam belt and water pump both need changing at the same time, especially given the mileage and age.

Don't want to look like a donkey when I tell him he is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by northerncaveman View Post
            Thanks everyone.

So just to be absolutely sure before I go back to him and kindly request all of it is done, the cam belt and water pump both need changing at the same time, especially given the mileage and age.

Don't want to look like a donkey when I tell him he is wrong.
            Yes both need doing even if the pump is fine. Don't want that failing in a couple thousand miles and ruining the new belt

If you had the 1.8 VVT then that would be a different story, that defo does have a water pump driven by the AUX belt and is only replaced when it fails

Comment

Does anyone know a ruff price it would cost to get them both done?

Comment

I did my own. If you go to a stealer very expensive, Go to an indy 200 to 300 pounds
                Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

I wouldn’t dream of going to a stealer for anything to be honest ,not even to sure if mine needs doing ,the bloke I bought it from said the timing belt had been done before so not really 100% sure,is there anything to watch out /listen for mate?

Comment

I would get it done. It can go without any warning, but any unusual noise that end would be worrying.
                    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X