adding extra reversing lights wire guage help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding extra reversing lights wire guage help needed

i am going to be adding a pair of 10w led reversing lights under the bumper on my insignia tourer as the 1 reversing light fitted is useless .
    but not sure what gauge of cable i should use . i am going to wire them to the original reversing light .

here are the lights .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-10W-CREE-LED-Work-Light-Bar-870LM-Modular-FLOOD-HIGH-POWER-REVERSE-LAMP/202435836045?hash=item2f221db88d:g:rjgAAOSwDmxcLYj A:rk:1f:1&frcectupt=true

Anything thin goes for those, around 0.2 mm² is plenty.
    This free voltage drop calculator estimates the voltage drop of an electrical circuit based on the wire size, distance, and anticipated load current.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk36 View Post
      Anything thin goes for those, around 0.2 mm² is plenty.
      https://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...es=1&x=87&y=17
      like these
      11amp (16/0.2) 0.5mm csa

14amp (24/0.2) 0.75mm csa

Comment

You'll be running max around 1 amp through the wire (10 watts at 12-14 volts)

Comment

I would not use anything below 0.5mm (automotive grade thin wall) just for physical strength as any wire thinner can break at connection.
          I'v been doing auto electrical for last 20 years.

Comment

cheers

Comment

I didn't fancy working on the car in this weather S o I asked an auto electrician for a quote. And was told it would take 5 -8 hours @ £20 an hour. Flippn heck I don't need the car rewiring . will just wait till weather gets better and do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by montyfert View Post
                I didn't fancy working on the car in this weather S o I asked an auto electrician for a quote. And was told it would take 5 -8 hours @ £20 an hour. Flippn heck I don't need the car rewiring . will just wait till weather gets better and do it myself.
                5-8 hours to fit a couple of reverse lights!

Comment

Originally posted by montyfert View Post
                  And was told it would take 5 -8 hours @ £20 an hour.
                  that's tradesmen for you,,,wankers !
                  ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Working...
                  X