P242D fault and limp mode 2.0 diesel 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P242D fault and limp mode 2.0 diesel 2015

hello everyone, I was hoping for some advice, after a longish drive yesterday i parked my car up and went shopping, when i returned to my car and started it there was a service vehicle soon message and the car was in limp mode (no power and struggling to go up hills) I managed to get the car home and eventually the engine light came on. I hooked up my generic code reader and it is showing P242D (exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit high bank 1 sensor 3)

I'm unsure if this is related but when looking at the datastream, the only thing that looked out of the ordinary was PF1_OUTT (PF bank 1 outlet temperature sensor) reading 1200.1 degrees C straight after a cold start.

Im guessing i need to replace the egt sensor?

I had a similar issue a few months ago where the car was going in to full on meltdown (running rough, with no power) this was also the egt sensor which i replaced with a cheap aftermarket one and it has been fine up until now.

I'm now wondering if the cheap sensor is the problem or there is an underlying problem causing them to fail.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. thanks

You might be better getting a genuine part as this is a known fault,and these snide cheap parts are cheap for a reason------Dave

Comment

Hi did you fix your P242D issue... I have the same problem but don't know which sensor to change?

Comment

Hi I have had the same come up this morning on my car.
        Started it and it came up with the service vehicle soon message (oil showing at 10%), I drove and it had no power as if it was in limp mode.
        Switched engine off and restarted same service vehicle soon message but full power then after a couple of miles engine management light on and back into limp mode.
        I drove to work and put code reader on and got P242D exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit high bank 1 sensor 3.
        I've cleared the code and I'll drive home tonight hopefully be ok.

Is this just because the service vehicle soon message has showed up?
        I haven't had any issues with limp mode in the last year.

Comment

Service vehicle soon means that is a problem. Something not working right.
          It is not just because your oil percentage is at 10 %

HTH.
          LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
            Service vehicle soon means that is a problem. Something not working right.
            It is not just because your oil percentage is at 10 %

HTH.
            Thanks It was the service vehicle soon message that threw me.
            I reset the code and when I was driving home it went back into limp mode I continued driving then after about 15 minutes I stopped at traffic lights and switched off and restarted I still got the service soon message but had full power back to the engine for the rest of the way home.
            I put my code reader on and same fault code was stored and I went into measured data and on Cat temp sensor bank 1 sensor 1 was 0 degrees and Cat temp sensor bank 1 sensor 2 was at 205 degrees.

I have an old laptop with opcom on it but it only goes upto 2010 (my car is a 2014) I put it on my car this morning and went into measurements with the engine running and
            Sensor 1 exhaust gas temperature was at 0.06v and the temperature was at 0 degrees C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_085833.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	243567

Is the temperature sensor the bottom one?

Thanks.

Comment

I've been doing a few checks on the exhaust gas temperature sensor you can see in my photo I'm getting a resistance of 228 ohms when the engine is cold and after running the engine and getting the temperature gauge upto 90 degrees it is measuring 362 ohms.
              I found the 2nd sensor down the bottom underneath and i've only managed to check it after driving home from work and it was reading about 280 ohms by the time I got into it and I checked the sensor in my photo at the same time and it was about 250 ohms.
              I've had this fault for a couple of days and it seems when the engine is cold my engine is in limp mode but once the engine heats up and I switch off and restart the engine it runs spot on.
              Could it be the sensor is breaking down when cold and once it heats up it starts working? I wont get a chance to check the bottom sensors resistance at cold until the weekend but i'd rather get it fixed before then.

Also with Bank 1 sensor 3 what sensor is this the top or bottom one anyone know?
              I don't want to buy the wrong one as when I phoned vauxhall sensor 1 was £118 + vat.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by markf497 View Post

Also with Bank 1 sensor 3 what sensor is this the top or bottom one anyone know?

Cheers.
                What year your car is?

Bottom, you mean after DPF? Or you asking about those in dpf filter, by the fans.

This usually indicates that the second -bottom- egt position 2 sensor needs to be replaced.

Post fault codes here as well please.

After 2013 They started fitting 2 egt sensors, second one is underneath the car, located by the Flexi exhaust pipe.

Comment

Sorry it's a 2014 2.0 cdti 163.
                  Yes the bottom one I'm on about isn't in the photo it is underneath the car I had to remove the bottom cover to get to it probably about where your saying the connector is next to 2 air-con pipes that you can just see in the bottom left of the photo I uploaded a pain to get to.
                  The fault code I got from my handheld scanner was P242D exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit high bank 1 sensor 3, I also put my old laptop with op-com on but it only goes upto 2010 and got the same code P242D-05 unknown DTC.

Originally posted by a602820922 View Post
                  What year your car is?

Bottom, you mean after DPF? Or you asking about those in dpf filter, by the fans.

This usually indicates that the second -bottom- egt position 2 sensor needs to be replaced.

Post fault codes here as well please.

After 2013 They started fitting 2 egt sensors, second one is underneath the car, located by the Flexi exhaust pipe.

Comment

That was my story, and in my case it was that bottom one egt sensors.
                    I'm trying to find a data sheet where it all has been explained. I'll post here it when I find it.
                    But in my case I had P247A - Exhaust Gas Temperature Out of Range Bank 1 Sensor 3.
                    Your is high voltage bank 1 sensor 3, perhaps it could be worth checking first for some worn wires or rusty connection etc

Comment

Thanks at over £100 for a sensor I'd rather make sure I get the right sensor replaced.

That was my story, and in my case it was that bottom one egt sensors.
                      I'm trying to find a data sheet where it all has been explained. I'll post here it when I find it.

Comment

But in my case I had P247A - Exhaust Gas Temperature Out of Range Bank 1 Sensor 3.

Your is high voltage bank 1 sensor 3, perhaps it could be worth checking first for some worn wires or rusty connection etc

Comment

Thanks for the advice I had the connnector off when I was checking the resistance and both connectors had no rust or any damage to the wires.
                          I started my car with the connector off and got the same fault code P242D exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit high bank 1 sensor 3.
                          My car has been fine today i'm thinking that the sensor is failing when cold as when the engine is up to temperature I haven't had any issues yet, i'll see how it goes through the week and if its still playing up I'll replace the bottom sensor.

Comment

Working...
                          X