Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Drivers Side Light Leaking Water Into the Boot

Evening

The first week of a used Insignia and it had a smell coming from the boot, I stripped out the matt and noticed some water in the area of the spare wheel, an hour later cleaned out and the smell has now gone, Luckly I have a spare mat and replaced it with that.

Today I checked again and found a small amount of water, I investigated it further pouring water from the top of the roof into the area that has the black plastic covering access it as I know about the issue with the bungs not alsway been sealed correctly

This did not cause it to happen straight away so I poured a small amount just above the rear light & the water just came straight through in the car

To me it looks like its coming from the holes the lights fit into, I am going to remove the light and investigate further, while the light is off I was going to replace the grommets to make sure the job is done correctly

Does anyone know where I can get the grommets from?

Vauxhall dealer, won't cost more and know they are right. You sure everything was tight?

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I will check everything over and give Vauxhall a shout, hopefully, will cure the problem, can't believe how much a small amount of water can cause such a foul smell, thanks for the advice, great forum and help

Comment

I used silicon on the grommets from Vauxhall and haven’t had an issue with them since

Comment

Quick Update

I ordered some new grommets £1.40 each, removed the rear light and found the one thats on the body work was only half in and the sponge washer missing, looks like someone changing a bulb had left them off, refitted and poured a glass of water over the light and no a drop came back in

Next stage removed all the boot lining from that side cleaned and dried it, then removed the long black plastic trim along the top of the boot near the roof, I then siliconed all around the bung and any joints I could see, as I feel this may have also leaked, only slightly but while I have the car apart it was worth doing

Now time for the interior, as you can guess it has a smell starting to take shape, so I have hairdryed all the seat, the carpet and then used Zflora in a spray, this is the pet version its suppossed to be good for spraying on dog pee etc and helps break it down, re hair dried it, however the sponge under the seat which you can see from inside the boot is still very wet, so I have put in one of them dehumidifiers to help with that, Im sure it will be sorted soon, but just wish after a week of owning it I did not have to do this

I will post the part numbersincase anyone else needs them

Comment

You can take out those oval bungs as I understand that’s another place the water comes in

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
              You can take out those oval bungs as I understand that’s another place the water comes in
              Yeah, they did seem quite secure, I silicone around them and all the joints around them too did not want to disturb something that might not be an issue

Now just a case of waiting for the seat to dry 100% then I can start looking at maybe some small upgrades for it

Comment

Well, today water back in the boot mainly on top of the vent in the boot

Air vent pushed out of place so we now have a large gap

Rear light out again

Between the cars bodywork/mainbody and the bumper (next to the top retainer bung I replaced and sealed) I have a small triangle shaped gap, about 6mm down to 1mm its around 1cm long, I poured water into this hole and only the hole... water came dripping through looks like the this is the second leak

The silicone came out again, Ive filled this hole as much as I could as I could see no other way of securing it, lets hope that this is the end of the leak, even my old insigina that had 3 rows of bricks droped on it is still more water tight

Comment

Can you get some pics of where you’ve sealed mate please. I’m having a leak aswell tried a few things and hasn’t fixed it [emoji22]

14 Facelift ecoflex, 2.0 CDTI 190, Nav, S/S

Comment

Here goes, I have just been out in my bed atire and slippers, removed the light etc just for these pics, hope they help mate

The picture with the two red circles? the top one is a retainer grommet that was not fitted correctly, I purchased a new one, put silicone in the hole & then around it to stop that leak, then today a smaller amount of water that was coming from the vent, was a small amount but still a leak, so I removed the light again and the image with the two cirecles you will see the place I have added the silicone, I poured some water in that hole and it came straight through so that was hopefully the last one

Remove the light, remove the vent and check the grommets, and then a little a time drop a small amount of water in to each area

If you need the grommet part number let me know buddy

Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	242888
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	242889

Comment

Perfect thanks mate! I’ve done the vent completely sealed with silicone, I’ve done the bung around wires from light, but not the small one you’ve circled, I’ve also done the top black trim and clips and still getting in water so I’ll do the small one you’ve done tomorrow [emoji3] cheers pal

Comment

It's winding me up something rotten, to me it's a design flaw, should not have issues like this on a car this old 2014 plate, Every night night for the past week I have been outside freezing trying to sort this out

The worst part is the water then goes around the side of the boot and goes into the rear seat sponge, I have no linings in my boot at the moment as it was smelling like a turd, all that out, cleaned and ZFlora pet netuliza sprayed on it

Comment

Exactly the same boat brother, 2014, soaks into offside rear seat stuck fingers down back they were wet had a sniff and almost threw last weeks tea up. Absolutely stinks like sh1t. Car smells like a tramps sleeping in the boot. Fed up with it, so lately the Mrs takes the car and I take the R6 [emoji23]

Comment

No offence though, but I’m so glad someone has the exact same issue as me, actually just thought it was my car, so together one of us will find the cause [emoji3]

Comment

Ha Ha im glad we can share the disappointment

It's amazing how much a little drop of water over time can cause so much crap, I started to regret buying the car this week, but to be honest, now I have sorted the issue im back in a happy place again

We had some rain and wind last night & the boot/vent is bone dry, so thinks it's sorted, tomorrow is wash your white car day as it looks like a rally car at the moment, will make sure its gets a good soaking to see if its ok

Have you sorted yours yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X