Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a DVD 800 Navi to Android Tesla Style. What are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a DVD 800 Navi to Android Tesla Style. What are my options?

Hi Everyone,

Brand new here, just got a 09 reg Elite 1.8 VVT yesterday. I'm already in love with it, it's a brilliant car and I'm coming from a 2017 Scirocco. I can't wait for VW to come and take their silly thing back.

Sorry, got carried away. The car is brilliant but the sat-nav is... not brilliant. I'd like to replace it with one of those Tesla-style sat-navs, Like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283107683869?ul_noapp=true

The problem is, after reading around, I'm confused a little bit if it's possible to do so. I understand that the DVD 800 Navi (which is what I have) has different wiring so these devices wouldn't be compatible. Is that true? Can I ask for the forum's wisdom of what system would be compatible? Are there any ones in particular you'd recomend?

Thanks a bunch, guys and gals!
    When you're on a chicken bender grab yourself some chicken tender BACK-BADACK!

Originally posted by taranasus View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Brand new here, just got a 09 reg Elite 1.8 VVT yesterday. I'm already in love with it, it's a brilliant car and I'm coming from a 2017 Scirocco. I can't wait for VW to come and take their silly thing back.

Sorry, got carried away. The car is brilliant but the sat-nav is... not brilliant. I'd like to replace it with one of those Tesla-style sat-navs, Like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283107683869?ul_noapp=true

The problem is, after reading around, I'm confused a little bit if it's possible to do so. I understand that the DVD 800 Navi (which is what I have) has different wiring so these devices wouldn't be compatible. Is that true? Can I ask for the forum's wisdom of what system would be compatible? Are there any ones in particular you'd recomend?

Thanks a bunch, guys and gals!
    Hi welcome to the forum,
    That looks like a good unit, and running a much new version of android, and best of all they are uk based, so any issues you can go back to them with no language barrier. This one is designed to replace the factory navi so should be issues there.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
      Hi welcome to the forum,
      That looks like a good unit, and running a much new version of android, and best of all they are uk based, so any issues you can go back to them with no language barrier. This one is designed to replace the factory navi so should be issues there.
      Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. I've actually ended up ordering a different one from AliExpress (This one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4G-V...58224c4dYzJQoq) Mainly due to the fact that the seller was really quick to reply to my questions and answered all of them (some with pictures to more easily cross the language barier). And the unit is cheaper by a significant amount.

I'll update the thread with my experience of unpacking and installing the dash when it arrives as I'm sure more people would be curious to know my experience.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. I've actually ended up ordering a different one from AliExpress (This one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4G-V...58224c4dYzJQoq) Mainly due to the fact that the seller was really quick to reply to my questions and answered all of them (some with pictures to more easily cross the language barier). And the unit is cheaper by a significant amount.

I'll update the thread with my experience of unpacking and installing the dash when it arrives as I'm sure more people would be curious to know my experience.
        I ordered from the same seller with their first model running android 4.2, sold it less than a year, it crashes now and again then require factory reset to fix issue.

Yeah please let us know what the unit is like. Please do a review if you could like one i done

Comment

I honestly might make it a video review, with maybe some pictures of the mounting process. But yeah sure thing, just need to wait for the damn thing to get here

Comment

That's the same unit I have (the 4G model) , same vendor. Got a DVR from them too.

Gotta say, so far I haven't had any issues with it.

The radio is crap (more to do with the lack of signal amplification from the antenna I guess) but all in all I really like the unit.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by rXr View Post
              That's the same unit I have (the 4G model) , same vendor. Got a DVR from them too.

The radio is crap (more to do with the lack of signal amplification from the antenna I guess) but all in all I really like the unit.

I've gotten the 4G model as well. Already had a 2nd sim card attached to my mobile plan so I figured "Hey, why not! It will be cool if the car can sort maps and music out itself". I heard that the radio is crap from multiple sources on multiple of these units. To be completely honest with you I'm not impressed with the radio on the stock unit right now either so no loss there in my eyes.

I'm getting really hyped now to receive it and start taking the dash apart! It will make for a fun evening after work It's been shipped yesterday evening and it's comming from Spain so fingers crossed it gets here soon s

Sadly I'm also dealing with a nasty gearbox issue at the moment. Gears 1 and 5 move the stick by about 1cm when applying throttle. I've read online that it's a pretty common issue. I've posted the job on whocanfixmycar.com and see what I get back. If anyone knows a garage that can deal with this issue around Slough or Bracknell it would be appreciated.

Comment

I've gotten the 4G model as well. Already had a 2nd sim card attached to my mobile plan so I figured "Hey, why not! It will be cool if the car can sort maps and music out itself". I heard that the radio is crap from multiple sources on multiple of these units. To be completely honest with you I'm not impressed with the radio on the stock unit right now either so no loss there in my eyes.

I'm getting really hyped now to receive it and start taking the dash apart! It will make for a fun evening after work It's been shipped yesterday evening and it's comming from Spain so fingers crossed it gets here soon s
                Agree the factory radio is crap, i never used it since day one. DAB is no better. So would miss it.

Keep up posted.

Comment

Sadly I'm also dealing with a nasty gearbox issue at the moment. Gears 1 and 5 move the stick by about 1cm when applying throttle. I've read online that it's a pretty common issue. I've posted the job on whocanfixmycar.com and see what I get back. If anyone knows a garage that can deal with this issue around Slough or Bracknell it would be appreciated.
                  The gearbox you have on the 1.8 is the Chocolate M32 box, quite common at failing, mind you saying that possibly the original box and your car done more than 100k.
                  This guy is an expert on those boxes, highly recommended from multiple sources. He is based in Kent

Get the job done right first time

Comment

It's HEEEREEE!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	esfVFPJ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	242899

Name:	DkR76ZB.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	242900

But, unfortunately, it's slightly broken

Name:	1BuJA4r.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	242901

I've contacted the seller to see what they want to do about it. It's easily fixable with superglue but I'd like to see if they maybe want to do an exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by rXr View Post

Hi Can you access to car's setup with you Android Unit? Thanks.

Comment

Hi, Any luck with that unit? I'm interested in the results as I want to change mine.

Comment

Has anyone got the unit with DAB and apple CarPlay?

They look so good and I’m really tempted.

Comment

Working...
                          X