Electronic handbrake fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevh046 View Post
    my experience is now useless then . I was gonna say did you “double click” handbrake to reset it but if speed sensor is acting as well I've no idea. they should be on separate sensors, I'm sure speed sensor is on the gearbox so therefore shouldn't be related
    No worries mate, , the garage will sort it when I get it there tomorrow/Fri

Comment

let me know how you get on I'm a sponge for knowledge . hope it's not too costly for ya

Comment

let me know how you get on I'm a sponge for knowledge . hope it's not too costly for ya
        IL be back mate for an update as soon as I get it back

Comment

my experience is now useless then . I was gonna say did you “double click” handbrake to reset it but if speed sensor is acting as well I've no idea. they should be on separate sensors, I'm sure speed sensor is on the gearbox so therefore shouldn't be related
          Speed is taken from the abs sensor,n/s i'm sure.
          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Had a similar but not excact same issue, speed sensor was acting up, it would flash up service esp on the dash. Checked it with opcom and it showed speed sensor faulty. Anyway while this was acting up I had no hill hold, as I nearly ran into the car behind me. But the actual electronic handbrake did work, just no hill hold. It did that every time time while that service message was up.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
              Had a similar but not excact same issue, speed sensor was acting up, it would flash up service esp on the dash. Checked it with opcom and it showed speed sensor faulty. Anyway while this was acting up I had no hill hold, as I nearly ran into the car behind me. But the actual electronic handbrake did work, just no hill hold. It did that every time time while that service message was up.

Funnily enough yeah it was a speed sensor, changed that and all is well again

Comment

Hi, just came across this discussion and it seems pretty similar to an issue I'm having. My car is a 2009 2.0 CDTI elite.

Recently started getting the ABS, traction control and service ESP warnings coming on in random variations but usually at least two of them together. Seen people saying it happens when they turn sharp left or right but for me it was often lit on breaking after driving for a short while.

Anyway, had a load of work done recently, new rear pads/discs and shocks, plus one rear caliper which wasn't releasing properly. Advised the garage about the intermittent warning lights and they said they couldn't get it to recreate the error so I got the car back and it continued to happen.

A week or so later the lights continued but I then pulled my electronic handbrake on and it sort of pinged like when a cable snaps and now when I pull it on I hear the motor working but it just releases again immediately and now the 'service parking brake' warning is on.

On reading this post it seems very similar but I'm at a loss as to how a speed sensor would affect the parking brake.

If that is the case, how many speed sensors are there and which wheel are they located on?

Also, can they be cleaned up or is it best to just replace?

If it's just that I'll give it a go myself in the hope it rectifies the whole lot but it seems like a few different issues.

Any help is appreciated as always, thanks!

Comment

Yes find out whichever abs sensor has gone and get it fixed, the electronic handbrake will be fully functional again , same happened to me, had light on for a while, as soon as I go to the garage the light went off, but luckily the fault was still stored in the system, it was the passenger sensor, anyway £60 it cost for the part and labour and my handbrake was normal again

Comment

Suspect that may have been the cause on my old Tourer as well. Had the issue where turning hard right would cause the light to come on and then the handbrake started playing up as well. I got rid of the car before i got it sorted though but suspect it was an iffy sensor causing all of it.

Comment

Hi Baz, thanks for the quick reply. Do you happen to know how many sensors there are? I.e. one on each wheel or just one on each front wheel?

Comment

1 on each wheel I think mate , I think the problem with the front sensors is that the wire gets stretched when turning or in some cases snap inside the casing causing the fault, not sure about the rears though, so youl have to get a fault code reader plugged in to tell you what wheel, local garage by me only charge £10 for diagnostic

Comment

Ok, thanks again. Garage I had it in kept checking but nothing was stored so I guess I might just have to buy one and try it on each side at the front.

Comment

Took the car back to the garage, still no codes stored or appearing despite the abs, traction control, esp and service handbrake warnings all being on at once. The mechanic said that points to the ABS pump/control unit which they will test and possibly send to be repaired. Not cheap but cheaper than a brand new one.

Comment

Originally posted by smitrocks View Post
                              Took the car back to the garage, still no codes stored or appearing despite the abs, traction control, esp and service handbrake warnings all being on at once. The mechanic said that points to the ABS pump/control unit which they will test and possibly send to be repaired. Not cheap but cheaper than a brand new one.
                              did you change the front wheel sensors
                              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I had this,as above,changed BOTH front sensors all sorted,
                                Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                                Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Working...
                                X