No announcement yet.

2014 2.0 CDTi - Remap experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, very late with updates as it’s been a difficult to express in words what’s happening, I didn't get a before/after dyno as I only wanted to spend a couple of hundred pounds, not £400-£500 which was the nearest option available to me with dyno print outs.

So, to the point, the more miles I do the less I’m impressed. Nothing has gone wrong and I don't have any issues but my mpg has dropped back down to (pre) mapped mpg after an initial increase and this is despite generally driving more economically (slight slower on m-way by choice, leaving earlier in mornings due to work) only a few mpg difference but also with the very warm weather over the last few months I would say its exactly the same as before.
    As for power, well this is the part difficult to put into words, I know mine is only 140bhp model so not expecting miracles but again ,as time has passed since map performance seems to be ebbing away.
    Note: car regularly serviced, mostly use quality fuel or add millers when using supermarket fuel.

The car is not slow, but neither is it any quicker, still smooth and drives nicely but next to a mates 140 (same year) from a rolling 20mph to 70mph I was barely any quicker, maybe a cars length or 2.
    Using a handheld stopwatch and using speedo (i.e.: not very accurate) it’s only marginally quicker than pre map.

To double confirm, there isn’t a problem with my car to cause lack of power, it just seems to have forgot its been mapped

So probably next year/spring I will be looking to get it dyno'd and mapped again to show a difference but will also be interesting to see what difference my current map is actually making. (Cam belt etc. next month so may just have a dyno run afterwards to see what’s what.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajsmith66 View Post
      as time has passed since map performance seems to be ebbing away.
      Note: car regularly serviced
      Interesting and very informative post. Did you have it serviced at a main agent? If so, is it possible that they have reset the map to default? (I'm no expert in mapping, just going by what others have said in associated posts)
      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

I’ve had a map from these guys (same guy, Lee) he comes across as though he knows what he is talking about but I would say that it’s mostly guess work!
        When he mapped mine he had trouble getting it to work so offered me a blend map...
        I agreed, since then my car kept going into limp mode, to be told that the ECU was not linking with the engine correctly...
        So I called Lee up and asked him to remove the map and put it back to 160hp...
        He did... and since then no issues! I’m not saying that it doesn’t work but to make of it what you want... I wouldn’t use Remap kings again just because they expect all cars to be the same when in my mind each map should be done live and tailored to each individual car [emoji1303]

Comment

Strange.

A map itself doesn't turn a car like ours into a VXR. Mines a 140 upto 195 and I still notice the difference and had mine close to a year.

Normally with remaps you get use to the additional power. Maybe book it on a Dyno. Cost like 40-50 quid for a few runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
            Strange.

A map itself doesn't turn a car like ours into a VXR. Mines a 140 upto 195 and I still notice the difference and had mine close to a year.

Normally with remaps you get use to the additional power. Maybe book it on a Dyno. Cost like 40-50 quid for a few runs.
            Happens to most people, you get used to it then seems slow

Comment

And then you want more , more , more !
              Andrea Trueconnection style !

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                And then you want more , more , more !
                Lol yes

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                  Watch out driving with those platform soles on, you disco queen you
                  2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                  Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

a well executed map will be hugely noticable, night and day. I've had a few cars mapped.

1.It will accelerate much much quicker and be far more responsive.
                    2. I've NEVER noticed any mpg difference - better or worse, than the factory figures, or rather what i was getting before a map.
                    3. would always have it done on a dyno, then at least you know if the map has taken. I had my 14 plate 163 done at a place locally to me who I won't name - did the map and sent me on my way (no dyno) - I felt the car to be no different, so took it back. They had 4 goes at it before I had my cash returned. Without it being done on a dyno, you do not know what the map has done - if at all.
                    4. a map without dyno - £280 - £300, with dyno -- £320 - £350.

the extra £50 is worth spending.

Comment

OP here and just wanted to say I haven't seen any tailing off of the performance since the map.
                      It still accelerates much better from standing & good pickup when I need for overtaking.
                      Not really noticed any difference with MPG, but I mainly wanted the performance improvement.
                      It's still a much better engaging drive (As much as it can be) for me

Comment

With my map, it was quicker at first but is now virtually where it was before, again, again still no dyno print out. As i mentioned i have a friend with virtually exact same car, after my map i was noticeably quicker than his, now it's virtually the same, EXCEPT, on the odd occasion you can feel a big difference to the power and the mpg goes up at the same time. I can only conclude something is not right with either the map or the ecu. Based on the fact that during both instances the car actually runs very well i would have to say it's deffo the map that's got issues. Just for information, i have op-com and it never has shown a code/error/ or anything else that might make you think it's something other than the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajsmith66 View Post
                          With my map, it was quicker at first but is now virtually where it was before, again, again still no dyno print out. As i mentioned i have a friend with virtually exact same car, after my map i was noticeably quicker than his, now it's virtually the same, EXCEPT, on the odd occasion you can feel a big difference to the power and the mpg goes up at the same time. I can only conclude something is not right with either the map or the ecu. Based on the fact that during both instances the car actually runs very well i would have to say it's deffo the map that's got issues. Just for information, i have op-com and it never has shown a code/error/ or anything else that might make you think it's something other than the map.
                          The only real test is to watch the boost levels via a obd app and a rolling road and compare that with a stock insignia of the same spec.

I can imagine your just use to the power. They overwrite the original software for fuel timings and boost and inject there own. There isn't anything else for the car to roll back to if you get me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
                            The only real test is to watch the boost levels via a obd app and a rolling road and compare that with a stock insignia of the same spec.

I can imagine your just use to the power. They overwrite the original software for fuel timings and boost and inject there own. There isn't anything else for the car to roll back to if you get me.
                            This is what I do with Torque pro, you can look at your live data from any journey or better upload to the webviewer on pc and check your chosen sensors/outputs like boost in this case or any other issues you wish to look up.

Comment

Working...
                            X