How reliable are new petrol engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How reliable are new petrol engines

Excuse me if there is similar thread somewhere around here, but I did not find one.

So... Recently I've watched few videos on youtube, where guys were telling that new turbocharged petrol engines wear out very soon. Some numbers were mentioned. Something like 150k km.

There are some points to that. For example aluminium engine blocks are much weaker than cast iron ones. Overall tendencies to make engines as light and as efficient as possible is no good for reliability also. Direct injection does a sh*ty job on cleaning the valves from petrol burning products (that's why Toyota is using direct injection and port injection in the same engines).

So what you guys think about that and what is your experience? I've tried to find petrol Insignias for sale online which would have driven a lot of kilometers, but couldn't find such... and I wonder why?

Most Insignias were built with diesel engines which allowed them to show lower CO2 emissions figures and suited high mileage drivers, therefore only about 15% of Insignias in the UK have petrol engines which will mostly be lower mileage drivers.

So you're bound to find many high-mileage diesels and few high-mileage petrols.

But in general I'm not a fan of highly boosted direct injection petrol engines (regardless of manufacturer) because they can suffer from pre-ignition, mucky valves, and much worse mpg in the real world compared to the lab.

Comment

I have read that the new lower-capacity petrol turbos should not be driven as hard as often as you would have driven their higher-capacity predecessors with similar power output. My 1.5T Grand Sport is close in power/torque terms as my previous Vectra 'C' 2.0T.

Comment

Has anyone with turbo petrol Insignia driven more than 100-150k km?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaka View Post
          Has anyone with turbo petrol Insignia driven more than 100-150k km?
          I doubt it. Anyone looking to do high mileage would be a fool to choose a small petrol turbo engine over a decent diesel. The 1.5t is aimed at people like me who do low mileage and don't want to drive the car like I stole it. At 165ps this car may be quicker than most of the diesel Insignias but they can do it all day long. In my opinion the power from the 1.5t is to get you out or trouble and give you enough power to safely make occasional over taking maneuvers. Anybody who uses that power on a daily basis just because they can is gonna dramatically shorten the life of the engine.
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I'm in a slightly annoying position in that i ditched my diesel insignia due to numerous DPF issues as i wasnt doing enough long journeys, i travelled just over a mile to work each morning, back home and then back to work at lunch followed by home later on in the day. There were a few longer journeys in there including our annual trip to France but that was it. Last January we ordered a 1.5T tourer which arrived in March....about 6 weeks after i'd been made redundant from my old work place whilst on paternity leave that was due to end in June. Stuck out not working til November but now back in the land of the employed but now doing a 60 mile round trip to Derby every day, not always in this car but most of the week i will do. Throw in the 2500 miles to France and back last August, various trips away and days out where we are using the big car now due to transporting the little one, dog and everything that comes with it and coming up to a year of ownership i'm at 16,500 miles!! That said the majority of this is on the M1 and A38 and you dont really get chance to do much more than 70mph with the traffic, in fact a lot of the time its sat at 60mph and it means i'm getting plenty of miles out of a tank. Petrol light just came on this morning with 410 miles done and still reckons i've got 65 miles left in the tank!!

Strangely after all the fussing over whether the 1.5T would work in a big estate car, which it does and i'm more than happy with the car, i could probably do with a diesel for the first time ever. I think what we are planning on doing is the other halves Astra will be paid off in a few months and then we may start to look for something a little more fuel effective that we will use on a daily basis and the Siggy will become more of a weekend family lugger so the miles will drop on it. Potentially looking at a little petrol car or even something hybrid. I could potentially do the daily commute in an electric car but i'm not sure i'm ready to jump into that hole just yet!!

Comment

Sounds like you had a slap in the face by Sod's law.

I've had mine around 19 months from new and mileage is currently 6798. I'm sure it's more than capable of comfortably sitting at double that without any future issues if driven as it should be.

It sounds like your driving mirrors my own (without the trip to France) in that you usually have your nearest and dearest in the car with you so drive accordingly. On a new car driven like this from new and kept well maintained it should perform well for a few years to come. At least in your ownership.
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I do understand fuel economy advantage and torque advantage of a diesel, but otherwise diesels s***. Petrols usually are much smoother, they drive well in all of the bandwidth of revs. And thou they're not as economical fuel wise they are cheaper to maintain. Had a chance to compare VW Jetta 1.6 diesel to mine Lexus IS200 and... Jettas engine in comparison is just awful. it drives only then turbo kicks in and only in very limited rev range, it's not smooth and not sophisticated at all.

And 100k km in 5 years is only 20k a year. I don't consider this as "much". Insignia with it's 165 1.5T engine isn't what I would be able to call sporty, but it's powerful enough for overtaking and other daily tasks. For me it's hard to imagine a person who would try to drive it as a race car. Maybe with manual gearbox that's more likely, but not with an automatic gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                  Sounds like you had a slap in the face by Sod's law.

I've had mine around 19 months from new and mileage is currently 6798. I'm sure it's more than capable of comfortably sitting at double that without any future issues if driven as it should be.

It sounds like your driving mirrors my own (without the trip to France) in that you usually have your nearest and dearest in the car with you so drive accordingly. On a new car driven like this from new and kept well maintained it should perform well for a few years to come. At least in your ownership.
                  Yeh it was all a bit of a sod although i'm still not sure i'd have bothered with a diesel, i might just have considered a hybrid or something. The ongoing battle against diesel even the newer ones with the add palava with ad blue etc would have been enough to steer me clear of it especially in a privately owned car, had it been a company car i may have been swayed.

As mentioned in this last thread even though its more powerful than a diesel its still a big estate car and not the kind of car you fly around in and throw about a lot. I'm also not that kind of driver with or without the family on board. I think as long as its cared for then the mileage i do in it should be fine, we planned on keeping it for a good while and it might just be that once its paid off we bring forward swapping it but we shall see what happens. At the end of the day its still not even a year old and whilst i'm doing 60 miles a day in the week its not really strenuous driving that is going to put strain on the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                    Yeh it was all a bit of a sod although i'm still not sure i'd have bothered with a diesel, i might just have considered a hybrid or something. The ongoing battle against diesel even the newer ones with the add palava with ad blue etc would have been enough to steer me clear of it especially in a privately owned car, had it been a company car i may have been swayed.

As mentioned in this last thread even though its more powerful than a diesel its still a big estate car and not the kind of car you fly around in and throw about a lot. I'm also not that kind of driver with or without the family on board. I think as long as its cared for then the mileage i do in it should be fine, we planned on keeping it for a good while and it might just be that once its paid off we bring forward swapping it but we shall see what happens. At the end of the day its still not even a year old and whilst i'm doing 60 miles a day in the week its not really strenuous driving that is going to put strain on the engine.
                    And talking about Hybrids I heard that the new Corolla hybrid (ex Auris as it will be renamed with the new model back to Corolla) should be awesome. Had a test drive of the current Auris model hybrid and... It's much better than petrol version of the same car but compared to Insignia it lacked sophistication.

Comment

Thats my issue with a lot of the hybrid and electric cars...they are bleeding expensive and dont seem that nice to be honest unless you get into the world of Tesla and thats out of the reach of most of us.

Comment

And because of the initial cost they don't actually pay for themselves over an average time of ownership. The fact that batteries have to be replaced at a huge cost stops people from keeping them over three years. Still a rich toy in my eyes, but getting better.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Don't be tricked into Tesla. They may show off with their drag races but their model S is the most unreliable.

Comment

Somehow I believe that my next car will be electric one. Hope they will be less expensive with much faster charging time and bigger batteries in 5 years time (then I'll finish paying for the current Insignia). At the moment it looks that this might happen as the new researches and technologies seems promising.

Talking about hybrids, I believe Lexus is stating that their batteries are good for the lifetime of the car. And yes, hybrids are overpriced. Auris Tourer hybrid would have cost me almost the same as Insignia. But it's really difficult to even compare these cars.

Comment

Got an email from Vauxhall over Christmas saying that this year they're gonna start the roll out of electric and hybrid versions of the favourite Vauxhalls. It'll be interesting to see what costs difference there will be between petrol/diesel and electric versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X