No announcement yet.

How reliable are new petrol engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The batteries are currently the issue......if you look at the Renault offerings you can buy the car outright or pay a bit less for the car but rent the battery for anything from £49 a month up to over £100 a month depending on mileage. Need a replacement battery and not renting it....£2000 a pop i believe.

Comment

One manufacturer (can't remember which), when asked about the life of an Electric car battery, said 7 years, and added, it would cost about £7000 to replace, which would probably be more than the car would be worth at that point.

The UK government says it is right behind electric cars, at the forefront of the technology if you will, yet lacks a coherent strategy, planning, and worse, how the demands for car-charging would be met. They claim that UK councils have been allocated funds for on-street charging points, and quite understandably councils have far more pressing current priorities to deal with.

The words 'white' and 'elephant' come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by john_k_sri View Post
        One manufacturer (can't remember which), when asked about the life of an Electric car battery, said 7 years, and added, it would cost about £7000 to replace, which would probably be more than the car would be worth at that point.

The UK government says it is right behind electric cars, at the forefront of the technology if you will, yet lacks a coherent strategy, planning, and worse, how the demands for car-charging would be met. They claim that UK councils have been allocated funds for on-street charging points, and quite understandably councils have far more pressing current priorities to deal with.

The words 'white' and 'elephant' come to mind.
        Our new Lidl in town has x2 super deluxe charging points.....but never seen anyone in them

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Small village near us just outside Chatsworth estate has two Tesla supercharger things for some reason! Not aware of any others in Chesterfield!!

Comment

Two of each here now, http://www.queensheadkettlesing.co.u...c_charging.htm

UK-wide map of electric car charging points allowing EV drivers to find EV charge points and plan electric journeys to the nearest charging point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaka View Post
              Excuse me if there is similar thread somewhere around here, but I did not find one.

So... Recently I've watched few videos on youtube, where guys were telling that new turbocharged petrol engines wear out very soon. Some numbers were mentioned. Something like 150k km.

There are some points to that. For example aluminium engine blocks are much weaker than cast iron ones. Overall tendencies to make engines as light and as efficient as possible is no good for reliability also. Direct injection does a sh*ty job on cleaning the valves from petrol burning products (that's why Toyota is using direct injection and port injection in the same engines).

So what you guys think about that and what is your experience? I've tried to find petrol Insignias for sale online which would have driven a lot of kilometers, but couldn't find such... and I wonder why?
              I would strongly disagree with the pub gossip about ali blocks being no good mate. like any engine, if you look after it properly and drive it properly it will go on and on and on. Not enough people look after their cars and only do maintenance once its failed its MOT.. For many people its their biggest asset and for others its their second biggest asset after the house/mortgage, yet they fail to look after them and speed up the depreciation...

We have petrol 1.6T SIDI S/S block in our 2014 Insignia. I have had it remapped at Vauxhall by Thorney up to around 220bhp, i have not put it on the rolling road to verify the figures and have no intention to do so, it the wife's car.. It is smooth and now has more punch to get it about.... So far it has not missed a beat and appears reliable. if anything may fail it could be the gearbox which may not survive my wife's driving style....

Its very economical, comparable or maybe better than my old 1.9 cdti Signum... I don't give a toss about economy though, the ride quality and smoothness of an engine that can pull when need is more important. Besides she uses it for the school run and as a grocery getter, her office is only about 2 miles from home, maybe less. They only real mileage put on that engine is when she has to get it down the motorway to take me to the hospital and back...

Comment

Just checked and that map only shows one charge point at the place i mentioned plus only one at their other pub over the other side of the estate but it reads as though they have two at each :-
                "Always leading the way, Devonshire Hotels & Restaurants Group Ltd. has recently installed TESLA and Universal electric car charging points in our car parks at both the Devonshire Arms at Beeley and Pilsley on the Chatsworth Estate"

The Devonshire Arms at Beeley is a picturesque & charming country house pub. Best rate guarantee, free cancellations & loyalty points with Devonshire Rewards.

Comment

There have been tales of serious problems with the 1.5T from the US....where it was originally rolled out. The cause was identified as not using the correct engine oil, which clearly points to maintenance. Modern petrol turbos are certainly more 'oil-fussy' than earlier larger-capacity petrol turbo units.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman_nige View Post
                    I would strongly disagree with the pub gossip about ali blocks being no good mate. like any engine, if you look after it properly and drive it properly it will go on and on and on. Not enough people look after their cars and only do maintenance once its failed its MOT.. For many people its their biggest asset and for others its their second biggest asset after the house/mortgage, yet they fail to look after them and speed up the depreciation...

We have petrol 1.6T SIDI S/S block in our 2014 Insignia. I have had it remapped at Vauxhall by Thorney up to around 220bhp, i have not put it on the rolling road to verify the figures and have no intention to do so, it the wife's car.. It is smooth and now has more punch to get it about.... So far it has not missed a beat and appears reliable. if anything may fail it could be the gearbox which may not survive my wife's driving style....

Its very economical, comparable or maybe better than my old 1.9 cdti Signum... I don't give a toss about economy though, the ride quality and smoothness of an engine that can pull when need is more important. Besides she uses it for the school run and as a grocery getter, her office is only about 2 miles from home, maybe less. They only real mileage put on that engine is when she has to get it down the motorway to take me to the hospital and back...
                    I watched few engine reviews. They explained that the problem with modern engines (non turbo as well) is that the manufacturers tries to make them as light as possible, as lighter moving parts in the engine makes them more economical. But those lightened parts have compromises.
                    Also they are trying to reduce friction as much as possible for the same reason. And low friction oil has some advantages but at the same time it covers the parts with a very thin layer increasing the risk of damage.
                    The aluminum engine block is not so durable as cast iron one, for that reason the cylinder walls are usually coated. And that's all fine till that coating is damaged.

All in all I think it is possible to make good modern small turbo engine, but for engineers it's much harder challenge and they often fail. And I really hope that 1.5T engine does not have flaws of, for example, earlier models VW engines. I'm not planning to drive a lot with this car, but if the engine has bad reputation it's much harder to sell then it's used.

Comment

Working...
                    X