stop/start stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stop/start stopped working

Hi bought insignia last Friday fully serviced, stop/start function didn't works but after one day it did start working correctly until today morning, on my way to work I realised it doesn't works, took car to the garage they had test the battery, result battery is fine, is there anything else to look at it?

I think this question along with Bluetooth is the most asked question about the Insignia.

Stop / Start has a mind if it's own, it defies all known logic and understanding.

When it doesn't work we all moan, when it does we wish it wouldn't.

The system is dependent on various factors and criteria being met all at the same time.

Stop-Start System

The stop-start system helps to save fuel and to reduce the exhaust emissions. When conditions allow, it switches off the engine as soon as the vehicle is at a low speed or at a standstill, e.g. at a traffic light or in a traffic jam. It starts the engine automatically as soon as the clutch is depressed. A battery sensor ensures that an Autostop is only performed if the vehicle battery is sufficiently charged for a restart.

Activation

The stop-start system is available as soon as the engine is started, the vehicle starts-off and the conditions as stated below in this section are fulfilled.

Deactivation

[content_img/img66bd360390341d41c0a801ea147b2c0f_1_--_--_PNG_MQ]

Deactivate the stop-start system manually by pressing eco. The deactivation is indicated when the LED in the button extinguishes.

Autostop

If the vehicle is at a low speed or at a standstill, activate an Autostop as follows:

Depress the clutch pedal.

Set the lever to neutral.

Release the clutch pedal.

The engine will be switched off while the ignition stays on.

[content_img/img5f55a51cf9d6ac3ac0a801ea01fd4c35_1_--_--_PNG_MQ]

An Autostop is indicated by the needle at the AUTOSTOP position in the tachometer. On some versions a control indicator in the instrument cluster lights up when engine is in Autostop.

[content_img/imge315ef6b9028c7f2c0a801ea200cf7a2_2_--_--_PNG_MQ]

During an Autostop, the heating and brake performance will be maintained.

Caution

The steering assist can be reduced during an Autostop.

Conditions For An Autostop

The stop-start system checks if each of the following conditions is fulfilled.

The stop-start system is not manually deactivated.

The bonnet is fully closed.

The driver's door is closed or the driver's seat belt is fastened.

The vehicle battery is sufficiently charged and in good condition.

The engine is warmed up.

The engine coolant temperature is not too high.

The engine exhaust temperature is not too high, e.g. after driving with high engine load.

The ambient temperature is above -5 °C.

The climate control system allows an Autostop.

The brake vacuum is sufficient.

The self-cleaning function of the diesel particle filter is not active.

The vehicle was driven at least at walking speed since the last Autostop.

Otherwise an Autostop will be inhibited.

Certain settings of the climate control system may inhibit an Autostop. See Climate control chapter for more details Air conditioning system .

Immediately after motorway driving an Autostop may be inhibited.

New vehicle running-in New vehicle running-in .

Vehicle Battery Discharge Protection

To ensure reliable engine restarts, several battery discharge protection features are implemented as part of the stop-start system.

Power Saving Measures

During an Autostop, several electrical features such as auxiliary electric heater or rear window heating are disabled or switched to a power saving mode. The fan speed of the climate control system is reduced to save power.

Restart Of The Engine By The Driver

Depress the clutch pedal to restart the engine.

The engine start is indicated by the needle at the idle speed position in the tachometer.

If the selector lever is shifted out of neutral before depressing the clutch first, control indicator -illuminates or is shown as a symbol in the Driver Information Centre.

Control indicator - Brake and clutch system .

Restart Of The Engine By The Stop-Start System

The selector lever must be in neutral to enable an automatic restart.

If one of the following conditions occurs during an Autostop, the engine will be restarted automatically by the stop-start system:

The stop-start system is manually deactivated.

The bonnet is opened.

The driver's seat belt is unfastened and the driver's door is opened.

The engine temperature is too low.

The charging level of the vehicle battery is below a defined level.

The brake vacuum is not sufficient.

The vehicle is driven at least at walking speed.

The climate control system requests an engine start.

The air conditioning is manually switched on.

If the bonnet is not fully closed, a warning message is displayed in the Driver Information Centre.

If an electrical accessory, e.g. a portable CD player, is connected to the power outlet, a brief power drop during the restart might be noticeable.

That's straight from a 2016 manual.

Mine will work 80% of the time, works when engine is hot or cold, lights, heater, seats, air con, radio all on. Has worked at - 2, even works without moving from last operation.

Some people have said they need handbrake on, mine doesn't. Just come to a stop, or below 6mph, foot on brake, neutral and clutch out, depress clutch to restart engine. Seat belt does nothing, but open drivers door engine restarts.

I don't think any two cars are the same. If yours worked then its normal for it to stop working for no good reason .

Battery can check out OK, it's not just the output voltage, it has to be at least 85% of its available specification (I read that somewhere).

Usually if you have a battery problem you will experience other electrical faults, and there is a battery warning message that shows on dash screen.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Hi, I had problems with Stop/Start on my 2.0 cdti 64 plate working when it wants, Taken it to a independent Vauxhall Garage and they thought it probably would be the battery so replaced that but still no joy, Then they looked into it deeper and turned to be the glow plugs clogged up so replaced them and now works a treat. Expensive job though as Glow plugs with sensors worked out at about £90 each and needed 4. My Car is high mileage at 140k.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_190803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	242921

Comment

MattG, your response exactly answered my search on the internet - it resulted in me joining the forum! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X