Trolley Jack lifting capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolley Jack lifting capacity

It seems that a 2 Tonne capacity trolley jack is sufficient for the Insignia B VX Line SRI, but should I go for a 2.5T or even 3T, for belt and braces?

I have a 2 ton of unknown manufacture its OK but struggled when trying to lift a mitsubishi outlander so i got a old heavy duty 3 ton as well. They both have there uses but 3 ton is so heavy its difficult to lift. I would go for 2.5 ton if your not likely to lift a 4x4 BUT i would not rely on it if you are working on car, always use stands as well.

Comment

I use a 2 tonne jack to lift the car, 2.0 cdti SE nav. then support on pair of 3 tonne axle stands with wheel chocks. Can't be too safe when working under it..

Comment

Same here,2 ton and axle stands,Safety First.
        Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
        Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Am i the only one who only uses a jack doesn’t use stands? I always put the wheel under the sill incase it falls which it hasn’t yet

Comment

A with a decent jack it shouldn't move or drop but axel stands can take alot more weight than the alloy shud the jack slip, ive put wheel under body in past myself, and also it will be higher off the ground if it's on stands so shud the jack drop and Ur act under the car it won't drop and hit u.
            Also it's extra points of contact to support the car, but if it did drop and hit the alloy, while it wudnt hit the ground ud knacker Ur wheel!

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
              Am i the only one who only uses a jack doesn’t use stands? I always put the wheel under the sill incase it falls which it hasn’t yet
              I,v also seen trolly jacks leak and gradually lower on there own (over night) which is not something I would want.

Comment

Hi Guys!

Do not want to make another topic, so I would like to ask here. I am a newbie and because weather is getting better I would like to do some little bits and pieces on my own. So here is my first question and post on this forum, I was trying to find something like that with the pictures but no luck with search, sorry if it is actually somewhere.

Because safety is number one priorty I just would like to know if it is safe to place sands on points from the picture if I would like to lift the front of the car?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	index.72.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	242998

Thanks

Pat

Comment

ive used that part in the past for stands,,best use a small square of timber on top of axle stand before lowering onto it
                  ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                    ive used that part in the past for stands,,best use a small square of timber on top of axle stand before lowering onto it
                    That’s where I place my stands as well if I’m taking the wheels off.

Comment

If you look in your handbook it shows you where to place your trolley jack instead of using the position on the sills[bloody silly idea].its just inwards from the sill and its looks like a large circle---I use this position all the time and I always use a rubber trolley jack pad----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                        Thanks for quick respond, I got rubber pads for my axle stands - is it not enough? Or better just in case put some timber as well?

I would like to do oil change plus want to check suspension.

Have a good day and thanks for advice, much appreciated.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy_M View Post
                          Thanks for quick respond, I got rubber pads for my axle stands - is it not enough? Or better just in case put some timber as well?

I would like to do oil change plus want to check suspension.

Have a good day and thanks for advice, much appreciated.

Pat
                          Rubber pads will be fine mate
                          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Its on page 226 in the owners handbook if you have one---otherwise there is a few on here you can look at-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                              Its on page 226 in the owners handbook if you have one---otherwise there is a few on here you can look at-----Dave
                              Cheers Dave, I've already went thru it but and drawings there aren't perfect.Rather ask twice it doesn't cost me anything

It so lovely today so I went quickly and took a pic. In circle you have a point you were mention in post above correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	242999

Well I gonna do oil change so I am trying to find a best points for stands for this kind of job and be sure that car is not going to fall on my head

Have an amazing weekend guys!!

Thanks for your quick responds.

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X