Navi 900/ android unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cranefly View Post
    Guys, would these units be a big upgrade for an insignia sri 2015 that has no satnav, just the small screen with the buttons underneath the screen, so i could possibly get the one that is not the tesla unit, and i do not have a data plan on my android phone, so i was thinking of downloading apps on wifi from the driveway, apps like, here we go, maps.me for offline use, other than that i can not see what more use i would get out of it. Maybe i should just buy a satnav and stick it on the windscreen, which i was planning to do until i saw these icebox auto units on this forum. The unit on ebay has more of a plastic fitting around the CD player and the heating controls, the same one on their website V5548 does not have this in the pictures. Am i right in thinking that my CD player would still work if i ordered this product.

Has anyone with my type of insignia installed the V5548 unit and not had any problems later on, how straight forward or not was the installation, and do the dedicated knobs and buttons still work, rather than just the touchscreen. Icebox auto would be the guys i would buy this from, their after sales service seem brilliant.
    Definitely worth the upgrade. As someone who has changed from the little screen to the bigger screen, albeit it the factory one. It was a lot better. Touchscreen, sat nav etc. I wouldn't get the tesla style screen though. I've helped people install this and it's pretty simple.

Then if you wanted to change back to the original then you could easily sell it on. Well less hassle anyway.

With Plasma getting things going with regards to factory retrofits it could be beneficial to wait, to see, if that's a route you wanna go down.

There's pros and cons with factory vs android in terms of looks and functionality. But I think it's all down to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
      Definitely worth the upgrade. As someone who has changed from the little screen to the bigger screen, albeit it the factory one. It was a lot better. Touchscreen, sat nav etc. I wouldn't get the tesla style screen though. I've helped people install this and it's pretty simple.

Then if you wanted to change back to the original then you could easily sell it on. Well less hassle anyway.

With Plasma getting things going with regards to factory retrofits it could be beneficial to wait, to see, if that's a route you wanna go down.

There's pros and cons with factory vs android in terms of looks and functionality. But I think it's all down to personal preference.
      I am kind of getting around to thinking that also, did you change to an upgraded factory unit with the satnav, i have heard that it can be fairly costly to do in a facelift model, so i am guessing you have a pre facelift model, i would consider fitting the factory made satnav version if it was not too costly.

I have not heard about plasma retrofits, could you tell me more about this option for the future, and i totally agree with you, it would be nice to have a touchscreen, although i still like the dedicated knobs and buttons to use while you are driving, which i think the icebox auto one has.

Comment

I am kind of getting around to thinking that also, did you change to an upgraded factory unit with the satnav, i have heard that it can be fairly costly to do in a facelift model, so i am guessing you have a pre facelift model, i would consider fitting the factory made satnav version if it was not too costly.

I have not heard about plasma retrofits, could you tell me more about this option for the future, and i totally agree with you, it would be nice to have a touchscreen, although i still like the dedicated knobs and buttons to use while you are driving, which i think the icebox auto one has.
        No I had a facelift model, mine was costly because I had to send it to italy to be programmed. You're kinda strung up with prices (supply/demand) as far as I know I'm the first person to have retrofitted Sat Nav into my car in the UK.

Plasma has researched for a good while now and spent money in trying figure out different ways of retrofitting stuff into vauxhalls.

He programmed my radio module within 2 mins.

Costs should be alot lower once everything has been ironed out.

It's entirely up to you, you'll have to weigh up the options and decide.

Comment

Great pics there, It would be fantastic to have the same as you, but as you say its supply and demand that will determine the price for this, so an android unit will probably be the outcome for me, good to see the pics you put on, only looks to be 2 main wires behind the unit to worry about, it does make a difference though to see the before and after pics, well done with being probably the first to do this, makes the old screen look positively dated, like its from 10 years ago. Vauxhall and opel should never have put that unit in the cars in the first place, they should all have had the satnav version, costs in production would have been lower more than likely, rather than having two version.

One thing i notice though, where is the eject button for the CD player on your new version.

Comment

See pic 1, it's above the heater controls
            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Great pics there, It would be fantastic to have the same as you, but as you say its supply and demand that will determine the price for this, so an android unit will probably be the outcome for me, good to see the pics you put on, only looks to be 2 main wires behind the unit to worry about, it does make a difference though to see the before and after pics, well done with being probably the first to do this, makes the old screen look positively dated, like its from 10 years ago. Vauxhall and opel should never have put that unit in the cars in the first place, they should all have had the satnav version, costs in production would have been lower more than likely, rather than having two version.

One thing i notice though, where is the eject button for the CD player on your new version.
              It's on the climate panel which won't change when you change the head unit.

There's 3 wires at the back of the head unit. Followed by routing some cables to the right of the steering wheel, to plug some cables into the radio module.

Also need to plug in the steering wheel controls.

With regards to the cost of factory, it all depends on how cheap you can get the parts.

As you can see the cd input/eject slot is still there.

Comment

@Lewis, that instrument cluster looks amazing. What car is that from?

Comment

Originally posted by Ami View Post
                  @Lewis, that instrument cluster looks amazing. What car is that from?
                  It came from a 2014 Cadillac XTS.

Comment

Well done mate, you have done a great job on your car, just noticed the instrument cluster, that is some upgrade, so the eject button for the cd player is on your new panel that says tone, between media and back as opposed to your old unit that had an arrow. is that right.

As soon as i get the funds together, i will buy the android unit from icebox auto, unless this plasma tech comes on stream soon, which would be worth a look.

Comment

Well done mate, you have done a great job on your car, just noticed the instrument cluster, that is some upgrade, so the eject button for the cd player is on your new panel that says tone, between media and back as opposed to your old unit that had an arrow. is that right.

As soon as i get the funds together, i will buy the android unit from icebox auto, unless this plasma tech comes on stream soon, which would be worth a look.
                      No it's seperate, it's on the climate panel

Comment

I am not making myself clear, sorry mate, i know the CD player slot is on the climate control panel, but the button to eject the CD was on your old radio unit control marked with an arrow, unless i am looking at your photo wrong and their is a button somewhere to eject a CD on the climate control panel.

Comment

I am not making myself clear, sorry mate, i know the CD player slot is on the climate control panel, but the button to eject the CD was on your old radio unit control marked with an arrow, unless i am looking at your photo wrong and their is a button somewhere to eject a CD on the climate control panel.
                          Oh yes, where it says 'tone' will be the eject button.

Comment

Did the cluster fit flush as it looks like there's a gap on either end.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
                              Oh yes, where it says 'tone' will be the eject button.
                              You had me worried their for a minute, thanks, i am guessing that it will be the same with the V5548 unit at icebox auto, although that eject button seems to be an arrow button where your home button is on your new unit, so long as the CD still works with the android unit, i would be happy enough with it. because i think you loose the CD player altogether with their tesla styled unit.

You had the heated seat buttons also on your old unit, i thought it was the exact same as mine, i had to run out to the car just to make sure i had not missed them, i did not, i do not have them, again why vauxhall went to the trouble of different facias for their differing trim levels, when you would think that one higher trim level would be cheaper for them to manufacture.

Comment

I've done some research on the android units. They look amazing when installed properly but seem to be laggy.

Comment

Working...
                                X