Electric Brake releases when car in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Brake releases when car in neutral

Hi, new member on the forum but just had my first problem in 7 years of ownership of my insignia. Firstly the radio loses signal when the heated screen is activated, think this one I've solved from advice on this forum, although my local dealer is unaware and can't find the problem.

the second is a bit more worrying, its about the electric handbrake. I'm generally very happy with it, wife not so, but twice now the car has unexpectedly rolled back after the brake has unexpectedly released. No damage done but ended up hitting a friends car and having to explain that away!! The issue is around, start the car, drive to the top of the drive, stop to open gate, leave engine running, get back in car, Door has to be closed, pull forward, apply handbrake and touch accelerator, handbrake releases. Local dealer assures me this is a "feature" , car assumes that as you've dipped the clutch you are going to pull away, even though no gear is selected and clutch has been released. Can't accept that, I'm oldschool, always dip the clutch when I start car, but if you apply the same logic, I return from a trip, so clutch has been dipped and neutral selected, car is idling whilst I get out to open gate, I've just had a hip replacement so a little awkward in getting out, if I touch the accelerator on exit, car rolls away. car clearly knows which gear I'm in as it keeps prompting me to change up. Can't see this is a safe feature, if I stop the engine its not an issue, but who stops the car on their own drive or indeed between parking and switching off the engine!!

Yes even in neutral when you touch the accelerator and clutch it comes off cause i have been caught out a few times by this. You only have to move the clutch millimetres and the accelerator and its off. Poor design in that respect

Comment

Sounds like it’s working as it should, just takes a while to get used to it

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
        Sounds like it’s working as it should, just takes a while to get used to it
        He’s had it 7 years you’d think he’d be used to it by now

Comment

I love that feature on mine , probably coz I'm lazy . wife's audi works the same

Comment

Working...
          X