Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charged car battery... now every error possible?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charged car battery... now every error possible?!

Hi all, kept getting the low battery warning, I assume due to regular very short journeys. On the past disconnecting the battery overnight cleared the error, like it had been tripped by low voltage and hadn’t gone once the alternator had charged the battery a few longer journeys later.

Tried that last night and whilst disconnected from the car,
    Topped the battery up with a smart charger. Once fully charged, plugged the car battery in and now the car won’t start. Every error I could imagine pops up and if you try and turn the ignition nothing happens at all except the electrics pause whilst power would assumingly go to the starter.

Any ideas? Windows won’t even go down!

just as a comparison i do 15 mile a day in my 2lt 61plate ecoflex and battery is always good, maybe the car was trying to tell you your battery maybe fucked and needs replacing

Comment

Originally posted by chili View Post
      just as a comparison i do 15 mile a day in my 2lt 61plate ecoflex and battery is always good, maybe the car was trying to tell you your battery maybe fucked and needs replacing
      Maybe, but I do about 2 miles over the week and 20-40 miles every other weekend and when I bought the car in October was told the battery was new. Think you may be right though but a new battery is £100... I think there’s something else I’m missing

Comment

What size battery is fitted as I believe you have to have the correct spec battery fitted, I've just changed mine as the stop/start was working now and then, now it's working fine, I would have a good look at the battery, mine is a 95 amp one and they are quite big, Dave

Comment

Have you put a multi meter on the battery to make sure it's holding its charge now u took it off the charger. N also checked it when it's on the car to make sure there isn't a drain on it.. battery terminals don't look damsed? Cables seem ok?
          Agree with above post bout capacity. My 2010 2.0 cdti needs a 85amph battery.. n that's not a stop start model when I changed it for new one few wk ago had to double check

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
            What size battery is fitted as I believe you have to have the correct spec battery fitted, I've just changed mine as the stop/start was working now and then, now it's working fine, I would have a good look at the battery, mine is a 95 amp one and they are quite big, Dave
            Is that 95ah? That’s massive, think this one is 68... maybe it is a little small?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1981 View Post
              Have you put a multi meter on the battery to make sure it's holding its charge now u took it off the charger. N also checked it when it's on the car to make sure there isn't a drain on it.. battery terminals don't look damsed? Cables seem ok?
              Agree with above post bout capacity. My 2010 2.0 cdti needs a 85amph battery.. n that's not a stop start model when I changed it for new one few wk ago had to double check
              I should add that mine is a petrol insignia if that makes an impact

Comment

Yes mine is the diesel-95amp--but I would still have a look at the battery and if needed fit a new one with a bigger amp/hr-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ANorthwich View Post
                  Hi all, kept getting the low battery warning, I assume due to regular very short journeys. On the past disconnecting the battery overnight cleared the error, like it had been tripped by low voltage and hadn’t gone once the alternator had charged the battery a few longer journeys later.

Tried that last night and whilst disconnected from the car,
                  Topped the battery up with a smart charger. Once fully charged, plugged the car battery in and now the car won’t start. Every error I could imagine pops up and if you try and turn the ignition nothing happens at all except the electrics pause whilst power would assumingly go to the starter.

Any ideas? Windows won’t even go down!
                  From the sound of it your battery has discharged NOT charged! I'd invest in a new one, yours may have damaged cells, leading to it not holding a charge big enough to power all the systems, hence the errors you were getting.

I speak from experience, I had similar issues, battery replaced by the AA, still had problems & needing a jump start on a Monday morning (don't we all!) so I invested in a new battery of the correct type etc and I've not had any further problems!

FYI, mines a 1.8 petrol Elite hatch.

Comment

It does sound like its proper knackered. U need to test it on the car like I said. But I'd be seriously thinking dead battery

Comment

It does sound like its proper knackered. U need to test it on the car like I said. But I'd be seriously thinking dead battery
                      Yeah I’m relatively sure it’s the battery but didn’t want to jump to that as last time I did, it wasn’t and I was £120 into a needlessly new battery.

I’ll test it this evening with my multimeter, what’s the best way? (My knowledge of electrics is very low!)

Comment

Multimeter across the two terminals when it's in the car. Set it to 20v and see what the volts r. Owt below 12 when ignition off is sign of dead battery. When engine is running, and I knows urs isn't at Min, shud be above 14v. Test with ignition off, then on. Shudnt have much if any variation. Just a way of ruling out that u have a drain from the car on it.

Got my new battery for my diesel from ECP £180 but will discount got it for £94.

Comment

Multimeter across the two terminals when it's in the car. Set it to 20v and see what the volts r. Owt below 12 when ignition off is sign of dead battery. When engine is running, and I knows urs isn't at Min, shud be above 14v. Test with ignition off, then on. Shudnt have much if any variation. Just a way of ruling out that u have a drain from the car on it.

Got my new battery for my diesel from ECP £180 but will discount got it for £94.
                          Car won’t start but I’ll try the multimeter with the car off anyway, so below 12V battery destroyed? Any brands I should look out for if I find myself buying a new battery?

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                            From the sound of it your battery has discharged NOT charged! I'd invest in a new one, yours may have damaged cells, leading to it not holding a charge big enough to power all the systems, hence the errors you were getting.

I speak from experience, I had similar issues, battery replaced by the AA, still had problems & needing a jump start on a Monday morning (don't we all!) so I invested in a new battery of the correct type etc and I've not had any further problems!

FYI, mines a 1.8 petrol Elite hatch.
                            Which battery did you go for that worked?

Comment

Depends on what it reads. If it 12v or high 11s v then it's low. Below 11v then dead cell n wants throwin. I'd look at a gd charge, but since u done that already it prob didn't help.. I use either Bosch or Excide make wise. Just make sure it's same or higher capacity than what you need.

Comment

Working...
                              X