Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.P0521 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Performance - low input - help

Good Morning

This is one of two posts (I will post the other issue in the correct section)

I bought my Insignia two weeks ago (to the day) and so far not so good, had a glow plug go on me, needed an engine flush too.

I have also had the dreaded AFL service light warning, so I have had a diagnostic done on the car this morning which has found the fault, it has also brought up an issue with the oil pressure which is alarming me.

The garage I had it from advised me to get the diagnostic done and he will cover the charge and look to rectify the issue/s.

What could be the oil issue be? is it really serious and best to hand the car back over and get a refund or is it an issue once fixed should be fine moving forward? the info the report pulled up was the following :- 1.P0521 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Performance -low input

Would really appreciate any help/advice....thanks in advance

AFL warnings can pop up anytime, mine did it a few times, but hasn't for last 4 months or so. Used to do it under hard acceleration whilst turning . But also did it on engine start after a quick stop, Settled down now and nothing.

As for the other issue could just be a sensor issue, or maybe something more. If the place you bought it from has offered, id take it back, leave it, take a loan car and wait for the call to say its all fixed.

I did google this issue and people have said change oil and sensor it goes away, but a few months later will come back...pointing to something other than sensor.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Hand the car back.
      Very common problem.
      Once that sensor shows the damage is already done.
      Google insignia low oil pressure.

Cause is a seal in the oil sump. Once the shells are scored and damagedcthst is when the oil pressure light shows, not when the seal has gone in the sump.

It stops the oil getting to the shells, the crankshaft, and bearings.
      It needs either a full rebuild in these areas if not too bad (no one will guarantee this work tho)
      Or a replacement engine inc new seal etc which will cost over a minimum £2k.

Not worth the hassle. Return the car.

Comment

Jesus...its that serious? Ive seen the oil pressure low light literally pop up for a couple of seconds and then it goes off, no oil light remains on my ECU. The independent garage I took it too said it drives nice and he tested the oil pressure an said it was fine?

Comment

Take it back quick unless you want to tit a knew engine

Comment

Just found this on a different site....could be numerous things? the garage tested the oil pressure and said it was fine so surely it could be just the sensor?

As a vehicle owner / DIYer the first obvious thing to do is to check the oil level using the dipstick. You want to make sure there is adequate oil in the engine and the oil filter or drain plug are not leaking or anything like that. It's possible you have low or no oil pressure because you have a leak you are not aware of and the oil is gone. Or, perhaps you just had an oil change and the place forgot to refill the oil, tighten the filter enough, there are different reasons you may have a P0521. If you did have the oil changed recently, verify that the correct oil is in the engine. The wrong oil can cause various engine codes. Next, visually inspect the wiring and connectors at the oil pressure sending unit. Look for broken or frayed wires, burnt spots, loose or exposed wiring, etc. Refer to a model specific resource for the location of the sender. A professional technician would likely do two things - use a mechanical oil pressure tester installed on the engine to take an actual physical oil pressure check. They would compare that reading with the values shown by the vehicle's PCM to compare. If you have access to an advanced scan tool and an oil pressure gauge this may be an option for you as well. Now if you have ruled out that there is an actual problem with oil pressure, the problem lies either within the sensor or the wiring/connectors. Use a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) to check the sensor itself, and if it does not meet manufacturers specifications you should replace it. Replacing the sensor/sender will be the most likely repair for this code. If it checks out OK, test the wiring and connectors from the sensor to the PCM. Verify there are no breaks in the wiring due to chafing, pinching, etc. Make sure the electrical connectors are tight and corrosion free. As you can see there are a number of possible reasons for this code P0521. If you need help stop by our forum.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0521
            Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Comment

The pump oil seal is a common fault on the earlier siggy particularly at over 100 thousand miles common clue is oil light coming on at cold start turning off engine and restarting and it's ok till next cold start there are plenty of threads on here about the subject I wouldn't take the chance but it's your money

Comment

Originally posted by Craig85 View Post
                Jesus...its that serious? Ive seen the oil pressure low light literally pop up for a couple of seconds and then it goes off, no oil light remains on my ECU. The independent garage I took it too said it drives nice and he tested the oil pressure an said it was fine?
                Yup it’s that bad.
                Light came on if I went round a sharp corner. Checked oil etc and all fine, I thought sensor also. Carefully drove 10 miles to the garage. I got as far as 8miles.

No one wanted to guarantee any parts and work either for quality no matter what I tried.

Likely Problem is a oil pick up hose shrinks and creates a gap in the oil feed. oil pump can’t pick up the oil due to this as basically a hole in the pipe, but oil stays in the sump so it looks ok.
                Then shells, and crank overheat and break as no oil.
                Also good chance the turbo will go, as the turbo oil feed is an splash feed after the engine gets its worth, rather than a direct feed which most engines do. So if an oil shortage that is also starved.

Which on mine wasn’t worth fixing.

Even to find out any damage your engine will need stripping down. It will do show in anyway till it seizes.

Comment

Sunday morning update....get in car to go to my mums for the day...and the car is now telling me to shut off the engine due to the low oil pressure issue.

Garage not open until tomorrow but surely as I've only owned it for 2 weeks he has to take it back an issue a full refund? I don't want any repairs done as it's clearly a dud an not been checked over properly before the sale. I'm so angry an upset right now an it means my next car will not be an insignia which is a shame as I love the look of my car...full leather...heated seats...sat nav...all the mod cons but it's not worth it just because it's nice...I want a reliable car. I've just had a 5k loan for the purchase so wasn't expecting so much wrong so soon into a purchase. I'll get onto the garage tomorrow

Comment

Sunday morning update....get in car to go to my mums for the day...and the car is now telling me to shut off the engine due to the low oil pressure issue.

Garage not open until tomorrow but surely as I've only owned it for 2 weeks he has to take it back an issue a full refund? I don't want any repairs done as it's clearly a dud an not been checked over properly before the sale. I'm so angry an upset right now an it means my next car will not be an insignia which is a shame as I love the look of my car...full leather...heated seats...sat nav...all the mod cons but it's not worth it just because it's nice...I want a reliable car. I've just had a 5k loan for the purchase so wasn't expecting so much wrong so soon into a purchase. I'll get onto the garage tomorrow
                    Don't drive it, ring them and ask them to collect it. Ring the loan company and explain you have been sold a dud, you are within your rights to demand a full refund. Don't be swayed by repairs, this repair wont be cheap and they wont spend that much money on it. It wont be right if they do. Stick to your guns, take a friend who will argue if your not that type of person. Don't lose your temper, be firm. if no joy tell them you will get it recovered to them and will be contacting trading standards, the local paper, the police etc, there is noway they didn't know about this issue, its common, they will know this.

On a different note please don't let this put you off an Insignia, plenty of good ones out there. Everything you said is true, a lot of car for the money.
                    I wish you every ounce of luck in getting your money back easily, and hopefully finding a new, better Insignia.
                    Keep coming in for advice, people here have been through this also.

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Out of interest what did you pay for the car?

Comment

As Matt says above you might not have run it like that but what did the previous owner do you shouldn't have any bother getting your money back just be firm I bought my 59 plate elite 15 months ago had no problems and love the car there are plenty of good ones out there good luck

Comment

Thanks Matt...just really has knocked me about....I adore the look of it but it does put me off. I know cars are a lottery...some are great...some are destined for trouble...this one is just clearly a dud. Do the garage think people will just buy the car an never bring it back? Really has angered me and stressed me out to the max.

Comment

5100 effectively... was up for 4995 but then we agreed to go halves on Cam belt and water pump then I part ex my old civic for 400 quid. I physically paid 4700 of my own money but I assume my Honda has been shipped on already so i will need the 400 back from that too. So should be 5100 he owes me plus 50 for getting diagnostics done yesterday morning.

Comment

Thanks Matt...just really has knocked me about....I adore the look of it but it does put me off. I know cars are a lottery...some are great...some are destined for trouble...this one is just clearly a dud. Do the garage think people will just buy the car an never bring it back? Really has angered me and stressed me out to the max.
                              It would stress anybody out mate. When you hand over loads of money, in fact any money you want it to be right. I still worry 8 months after buying mine . Due its first MOT in June and worries me sick .

Get your money back and start again. If its not an Insignia then its not.

Little story, many years ago i put a deposit on a Rover 218, as driving home i saw a Cavalier 1.6L on a forecourt, stopped, looked, test drive - it broke down. Went back a week later for another test drive - it broke down. Went back a week later test drive - perfect, knocked money off, gave me over the odds for my Orion and had that car for 5 years almost trouble free .
                              Point is a bad experience shouldn't stop you from getting what you want.

Look at how happy 99% of the people in here are .

Comment

Working...
                              X