Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant loss problem

Hi all.

I upgraded my Vectra for an Insignia a couple of weeks ago. When I test drove it the coolant level warning came up on the dash and the dealer just topped up the level before the test drive. Last weekend we went out for a drive in the car and the coolant level warning came on again. The dealer had the car back for 3 days and told me he had fixed the problem. He said it needed a new expansion chamber lid. This weekend we had to drive 150 miles to my daughters for my grandsons first birthday. We had to stop about every 20 miles to top up the coolant, but made it there. Then on the way back we had the same problem (which we expected so we took plenty of water with us). In all I used 6 to 8 litres of water on each journey.

The dealer supposedly fitted a new cambelt and water pump before I collected the vehicle.

During our journey the temperature guage was going up and down like a whores drawers, and would not maintain a constant temperature, possibly due to one minute having coolant flowing around and then the next minute fresh air. One other thing. When I stopped to top up the system when the coolant tank was empty, every time I slowly opened the cap there was a huge gust of pressure and the coolant would flow back into the tank topping it up again. This made it difficult to keep it topped up.

Thankfully we managed the journey with no overheating as I was watching the temperature gauge constantly.

I'm now thinking about rejecting the car under the consumer rights act 2015. The car is a 2009 CDTI (158bhp) SRI with 100,000 on the clock.

Originally posted by Odd Job View Post
    Hi all.

I upgraded my Vectra for an Insignia a couple of weeks ago. When I test drove it the coolant level warning came up on the dash and the dealer just topped up the level before the test drive. Last weekend we went out for a drive in the car and the coolant level warning came on again. The dealer had the car back for 3 days and told me he had fixed the problem. He said it needed a new expansion chamber lid. This weekend we had to drive 150 miles to my daughters for my grandsons first birthday. We had to stop about every 20 miles to top up the coolant, but made it there. Then on the way back we had the same problem (which we expected so we took plenty of water with us). In all I used 6 to 8 litres of water on each journey.

The dealer supposedly fitted a new cambelt and water pump before I collected the vehicle.

During our journey the temperature guage was going up and down like a whores drawers, and would not maintain a constant temperature, possibly due to one minute having coolant flowing around and then the next minute fresh air. One other thing. When I stopped to top up the system when the coolant tank was empty, every time I slowly opened the cap there was a huge gust of pressure and the coolant would flow back into the tank topping it up again. This made it difficult to keep it topped up.

Thankfully we managed the journey with no overheating as I was watching the temperature gauge constantly.

I'm now thinking about rejecting the car under the consumer rights act 2015. The car is a 2009 CDTI (158bhp) SRI with 100,000 on the clock.
    Could be the very reason the previous owner got rid of it. I would reject it.

Comment

Id reject to be honest, a shame but you want something that is right

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I did reject it, and TBH the dealer has been brilliant over it. He has sourced me another car, which is better spec, is putting a years mot on it, service and full valet, and doing a straight swap. So I can't fault him.

But what possible fault could cause the car to lose so much coolant so quickly?

Comment

Working...
        X