Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete newbie. Want to upgrade lights on my 62 plate Insignia. Please help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete newbie. Want to upgrade lights on my 62 plate Insignia. Please help?

In June 2016 I purchased my Insignia (2.0 CDTi SE Nav [160] 5dr). I previously had an MG ZR 105 Trophy SE that the previous owner installed HIDs into the front lights, which made them wonderfully bright. I then came to the Insignia which came with its standard lights and they're... well, underwhelming to say the least. A couple of weeks ago my driver's side dipped beam stopped working, and every time I start the car I'm getting the corresponding error. I thought that this would be as good a time as ever to spend a bit of money and upgrade the lights from the standard bulbs to HID's similar to what I used to have. However I will admit I'm not massively knowledgable when it comes to cars, so I've been getting a bit confused reading around here and other sites I've found on Google. Hopefully someone here can help me?

In my research, I've found people talking about installing LEDs instead of HIDs, and some of the benefits and drawbacks of each, but I really don't know which to go with?

I found this thread on here where people were praising this LED kit which I think would be the best solution?

But that thread says that it's for "facelight Insignias". Now I've tried to Google it, but I've got no idea what that means or whether my car has had a facelight? I'm presuming it hasn't, as afaik it's all standard. I did like that people said that particular model fit in the housing, they've got a sale on at the moment knocking the price down by 30%, free shipping and claims to be next day delivery.

But then I've also seen this HID conversion kit recommended, which is half the price but I'm confused because it says "Availability: In Stock" but then "Current Stock: Out of stock".

Then I have also seen this conversion kit recommended which is dramatically cheaper than the other two, but then I am abit more weary because of it's low price and purchasing from eBay can be a shot in the dark especailly when I'm as inexperienced as I am with all of this.

However I've then found this post which the guy says that he uses those Nighteye bulbs in his main beams, and uses a different set in his dipped beams, which quite honestly just completely threw me. I presumed that you would have to use different bulbs in your main beams and dipped lights, but they both say they're H7, so why is he using what others use in his dipped beam in his main beam? And why are others using what he's using in his main beam as his dipped beam? Can they be used in both, and if so, why not use the same type of bulbs in both? Does this mean I could potentially upgrade both sets of my lights?

Furthermore this brings me to a load of other questions I have:
    • Do I need to change anything to fit them in, or to not affect other people on the road? Or is it as simple as it looks, and just unscrewing the old unit, replacing with the new one, and screwing it back in?
    • Will I need to remove them for my MOT in a couple of months time? I understand that they're not technically legal, but have any of you guys had issues with them when it's come time to have an MOT?
    • Will I still be able to use the adjustment dial I have inside of the car that changes how far the light goes?
    • I sometimes drive in Europe. What would I do when it comes to driving over there? Do I still continue to use headlamp adapters as I normally would have done? Would they be placed in the same spot or would I use them differently?
    • And ultimately, which are best, HIDs or LEDs? And which bulbs / kit should I get? I understand that LEDs come on instantly, and HIDs take a few seconds to warm up. I mean, I don't think I'm bothered about a couple of seconds, but which are brighter? Which produce the best light? Which are likely to cause less issues? etc etc
    • Or have I got all of this completely wrong, as my car is not "facelifted" and so none of these kits or bulbs will work? And if that is the case, what on earth can I do then?

I should also state that I work nights, and do a lot of travelling in my car (also predominantly at night), so I desperately want to improve my vision and increase the light ahead of me whilst I'm driving.

I'm sorry for the million questions and being a bit all over the place, but as you might be able to tell, I've just been getting so confused with all of this! I really hope some of you guys can help make sense of all this for me.

What year is your car ?
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

62 plate. Think it was originally registered in Jan 2013.

Comment

Well it's a pre facelift,,the facelifts came out later that year,on 63 plates
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Okay that explains that. So is all of the research I've done useless then? haha

Comment

have you the halogen headlights ?

Comment

In the least rude way possible, have you not read any of what I had to say in my original post?

As far as I know / can tell, I've got standard crappy halogen bulbs yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Visual Hudson View Post
                In the least rude way possible, have you not read any of what I had to say in my original post?

Your original post is a bit of a book. Short and sweet gets the best answers. Dave's just trying to help you.

Yeah most of your research doesn't apply to your lights. The quick answer to your question is....You have pre facelift reflector lights with stock halogens (Though a photo would be nice to be sure). The only bulb upgrade available to you so your not blinding oncoming drivers is a HID kit with H7R (R standing for reflector) bulbs. It's important you get the H7R bulbs because they have part of the bulb covered which helps stop the dazzle.

There are no LED kits/Bulbs that will work in your lights without dazzling oncoming and preceding road users.

Remember HID kits are not strictly legal so will need to be removed for MOTs
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Was trying to narrow it down to which headlights you had pal,,not been rude at all, but now I am going to be....Feck off ! Try asking on insignia enthusiast site

Comment

Okay that explains that. So is all of the research I've done useless then? haha
                    Research is always a good learning curve.

Comment

It was a very long post, and sometimes things gets missed out when reading.
                      We are all here to help. We do not tolerate any rude behaviour from any members. This is a very friendly site and we monitor closely on behaviour to keep this a nice environment.

Comment

Wow guys, I can't believe I'm the one that's offended you guys, but I'm sorry that I've apparently done so.

I was trying to be thorough in my original post and show that I have done a fair amount of research but that I am genuinely confused with it all. I didn't want to just be given the "........have you tried turning it off and on again?" treatment. I understand how frustrating it can be helping newbs out, I've worked in IT for enough years to fully grasp that. Hence why I originally wrote so much, and tried to show that I wasn't just another lazy new account asking "errrr what bulbs fit my car pls?"

I want to be able to come here and ask for advice with further upgrades for my car as I've definitely seen lots of interesting things whilst browsing the forums. Hopefully I can get this information from you!

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                        Research is always a good learning curve.
                        I accept that, and I'm not bothered that my research has gone to waste. I wasn't trying to be arsey about that at all.

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                        Was trying to narrow it down to which headlights you had pal,,not been rude at all, but now I am going to be....Feck off ! Try asking on insignia enthusiast site
                        Well I'm assuming you're being sarcastic in your last comment, as I believed that's exactly what this is?

Again, sorry that I offended you, but you had asked how old or what reg my car was even though it was in the thread title and if I had the halogen lights, and it just seemed like you hadn't at all read what I was trying to get across.

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                        It was a very long post, and sometimes things gets missed out when reading.
                        We are all here to help. We do not tolerate any rude behaviour from any members. This is a very friendly site and we monitor closely on behaviour to keep this a nice environment.
                        I accept that some things get missed out, but the questions asked to me yesterday as I say were covered in the thread title and the very beginning of my post. BUT I don't want to continue arguing about it. I'm not here to be rude or cause any problems. As I say, I'm simply looking for help that I'm hoping to find on here.

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                        Your original post is a bit of a book. Short and sweet gets the best answers. Dave's just trying to help you.

Yeah most of your research doesn't apply to your lights. The quick answer to your question is....You have pre facelift reflector lights with stock halogens (Though a photo would be nice to be sure). The only bulb upgrade available to you so your not blinding oncoming drivers is a HID kit with H7R (R standing for reflector) bulbs. It's important you get the H7R bulbs because they have part of the bulb covered which helps stop the dazzle.

There are no LED kits/Bulbs that will work in your lights without dazzling oncoming and preceding road users.

Remember HID kits are not strictly legal so will need to be removed for MOTs
                        Thank you for taking the time to tackle my situation & questions, and offering some advice!

As requested please find a couple photos attached. But yes, by the sounds of things and from what I can tell, I think that I do have exactly what you're saying (pre facelift reflector lights with stock halogens), although I guess I might be wrong here, I'll let you be the judge!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190314_095811.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	242959

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190314_095819 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	242960

Okay I have briefly heard about these H7R bulbs whilst doing some research. It is a bit of a shame that I cant get an LED kit or bulb, but oh well.

So I've Googled and found some for sale from HIDs Direct, HIDS4U, Horizons, Auto Bulbs Direct (although they appear to be selling the HIDS4U bulbs I think), as well as many other sellers including links to Amazon and eBay. Do you or anyone have any experience with any of these & / or can give any advice on which to go for as they seem to vary wildly in price!

Comment

I would go for HIDs, and have to go with the reflector ones.
                          I heard good reviews regarding HID Direct

Comment

On my last car i just brought mine off eBay.

Comment

Let's start again...and by the way,

It is appreciated when new members take the time to do some research rather than blindly asking so thanks for that. The Insignia has 3 different guises and 6 different light types so you can hopefully see why Dave was trying to clarify a few things.

Yes your images show you deffo have the pre face halogens so my advise would be what I said in my previous post.

A lot of members have had dealings Hids direct and although some have had the odd hiccup, on a whole they have been good with decent kits. There are cheaper ones out there and members have had equal success with them but also some have bought trash that have packed up within days.

It's up to you how you proceed but personally I don't mind paying a bit more for proven kits. Sorry....I can't really help with your main beam bulb type. I Think it's a H1.

Just a little explanation on the difference between your reflectors on the Insignia A pre facelift and my reflectors on my Insignia B.

My reflectors have a metal sheath in the light which surrounds the bulb. Your reflectors don't. This allows me to use LEDs because the sheath covers the bulb and gives it a clear beam cut off.

Because yours don't have the sheath, the light output just spreads. This is the reason for the HIDs with H7R bulbs. The coating on the bulb helps give that beam pattern cut off.
                              Last edited by marko301; 14-03-2019, 11:44 AM.
                              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Working...
                              X