Insignia SRi NAV 1.6T Hatchback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum Key Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Visual Hudson View Post
    In the least rude way possible, have you not read any of what I had to say in my original post?

As far as I know / can tell, I've got standard crappy halogen bulbs yes.
    It was a very long post, and sometimes things gets missed out when reading.
    We are all here to help. We do not tolerate any rude behaviour from any members. This is a very friendly site and we monitor closely on behaviour to keep this a nice environment.

OWNER OF 2012 INSIGNIA SRI NAV HATCHBACK 1.6T

2. Likes Dave1419 liked
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow guys, I can't believe I'm the one that's offended you guys, but I'm sorry that I've apparently done so.

I was trying to be thorough in my original post and show that I have done a fair amount of research but that I am genuinely confused with it all. I didn't want to just be given the "........have you tried turning it off and on again?" treatment. I understand how frustrating it can be helping newbs out, I've worked in IT for enough years to fully grasp that. Hence why I originally wrote so much, and tried to show that I wasn't just another lazy new account asking "errrr what bulbs fit my car pls?"

I want to be able to come here and ask for advice with further upgrades for my car as I've definitely seen lots of interesting things whilst browsing the forums. Hopefully I can get this information from you!

Quote Originally Posted by sriray View Post
    Research is always a good learning curve.
    I accept that, and I'm not bothered that my research has gone to waste. I wasn't trying to be arsey about that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusiv. View Post
    Was trying to narrow it down to which headlights you had pal,,not been rude at all, but now I am going to be....Feck off ! Try asking on insignia enthusiast site
    Well I'm assuming you're being sarcastic in your last comment, as I believed that's exactly what this is?

Again, sorry that I offended you, but you had asked how old or what reg my car was even though it was in the thread title and if I had the halogen lights, and it just seemed like you hadn't at all read what I was trying to get across.

Quote Originally Posted by sriray View Post
    It was a very long post, and sometimes things gets missed out when reading.
    We are all here to help. We do not tolerate any rude behaviour from any members. This is a very friendly site and we monitor closely on behaviour to keep this a nice environment.
    I accept that some things get missed out, but the questions asked to me yesterday as I say were covered in the thread title and the very beginning of my post. BUT I don't want to continue arguing about it. I'm not here to be rude or cause any problems. As I say, I'm simply looking for help that I'm hoping to find on here.

Quote Originally Posted by marko301 View Post
    Your original post is a bit of a book. Short and sweet gets the best answers. Dave's just trying to help you.

Yeah most of your research doesn't apply to your lights. The quick answer to your question is....You have pre facelift reflector lights with stock halogens (Though a photo would be nice to be sure). The only bulb upgrade available to you so your not blinding oncoming drivers is a HID kit with H7R (R standing for reflector) bulbs. It's important you get the H7R bulbs because they have part of the bulb covered which helps stop the dazzle.

There are no LED kits/Bulbs that will work in your lights without dazzling oncoming and preceding road users.

Remember HID kits are not strictly legal so will need to be removed for MOTs
    Thank you for taking the time to tackle my situation & questions, and offering some advice!

As requested please find a couple photos attached. But yes, by the sounds of things and from what I can tell, I think that I do have exactly what you're saying (pre facelift reflector lights with stock halogens), although I guess I might be wrong here, I'll let you be the judge!

Name:  IMG_20190314_095811.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20190314_095819 (1).jpg
Views: 94
Size:  41.4 KB

Okay I have briefly heard about these H7R bulbs whilst doing some research. It is a bit of a shame that I cant get an LED kit or bulb, but oh well.

So I've Googled and found some for sale from HIDs Direct, HIDS4U, Horizons, Auto Bulbs Direct (although they appear to be selling the HIDS4U bulbs I think), as well as many other sellers including links to Amazon and eBay. Do you or anyone have any experience with any of these & / or can give any advice on which to go for as they seem to vary wildly in price!

Racing Driver

Car
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for HIDs, and have to go with the reflector ones.
    I heard good reviews regarding HID Direct

Racing Driver

Car
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last car i just brought mine off eBay.

Speed Demon
    Car
    2017 Insignia Grand Sport SRi Nav 1.5 Turbo petrol
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's start again...and by the way,

It is appreciated when new members take the time to do some research rather than blindly asking so thanks for that. The Insignia has 3 different guises and 6 different light types so you can hopefully see why Dave was trying to clarify a few things.

Yes your images show you deffo have the pre face halogens so my advise would be what I said in my previous post.

A lot of members have had dealings Hids direct and although some have had the odd hiccup, on a whole they have been good with decent kits. There are cheaper ones out there and members have had equal success with them but also some have bought trash that have packed up within days.

It's up to you how you proceed but personally I don't mind paying a bit more for proven kits. Sorry....I can't really help with your main beam bulb type. I Think it's a H1.

Just a little explanation on the difference between your reflectors on the Insignia A pre facelift and my reflectors on my Insignia B.

My reflectors have a metal sheath in the light which surrounds the bulb. Your reflectors don't. This allows me to use LEDs because the sheath covers the bulb and gives it a clear beam cut off.

Because yours don't have the sheath, the light output just spreads. This is the reason for the HIDs with H7R bulbs. The coating on the bulb helps give that beam pattern cut off.
    Last edited by marko301; 14-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” bi colour alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front sports seats with driver’s AGR - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - OnStar connection - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 incorporating Androidauto/Apple CarPlay and DAB

7. Likes sriray liked
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell from looking at the site, HIDs Direct appear to be out of stock on these H7R bulbs.

I've also seen that they and other sites sell 35w and 55w variants. What is the difference? What should I be looking at getting?

Will there be any side affects I should know about before upgrading / purchasing these? Other than that they take a few seconds to come on and will technically need removing for MOT.

I wasn't planning on changing my main beam bulbs actually. Now this might seem like a silly question, but would putting these H7Rs into my dipped beams, negate the use of full beams because they're so much brighter and are using separate bulbs whereby the main beams are probably halogens?

And yes, I've read about this metal sheath and beam pattern problems. That's fine, if this is all I can go with, that's all I can go with! Heck, even the most expensive ones are cheaper than I was thinking I was going to have to buy just a day or two ago!

Speed Demon
    Car
    2017 Insignia Grand Sport SRi Nav 1.5 Turbo petrol
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35w are fine and much brighter than the halogens so no need for 55w. 55w are brighter but can be a bit much in reflectors (some may argue with me on that). Most members buy 35w. They work independently of the main beam bulbs so main beam will be unaffected.

As long as you get canbus kit so you don't get bulb out errors on the dash you should be fine. In fact the only side affect I had when I had my HID and then later, LEDs was a silly grin on my face because they looked good and I could see where I was going.

One more thing. The best colour temprature for the builds are 5000k or 6000k. Higher the number the bluer they look. 5k an 6k are a nicer bright white.
    Last edited by marko301; 14-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” bi colour alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front sports seats with driver’s AGR - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - OnStar connection - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 incorporating Androidauto/Apple CarPlay and DAB

10. Likes Dave1419 liked
    Deep fried Mars bar Enthusiast RBH's Avatar
    Car
    2014 VX Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    35w is fine

5k - whiter than white, 6K - icy white, maybe a slight tinge of blue, but lovely and bright at night.

You need a H7R kit

Ive had previous experience with HIDs DIRECT and I found them to be crap kits, expensive and an incompetent aftersales service who basically didn't want to know.

ive bought from eBay since and its always been cheap kits....never had an issue with them.
    infact the kit I have in mine cost me £15 and its been in over a year....no issues.

12. Likes Dave1419 liked
    Deep fried Mars bar Enthusiast RBH's Avatar
    Car
    2014 VX Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Btw I think it's hilarious that your user name includes the word visual.......when your first post is all about changing your bulbs in your head lights coz you canny see...... brilliant.

I know it won't be to do with that ( I.T lingo I know ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marko301 View Post
    35w are fine and much brighter than the halogens so no need for 55w. 55w are brighter but can be a bit much in reflectors (some may argue with me on that). Most members buy 35w. They work independently of the main beam bulbs so main beam will be unaffected.

As long as you get canbus kit so you don't get bulb out errors on the dash you should be fine. In fact the only side affect I had when I had my HID and then later, LEDs was a silly grin on my face because they looked good and I could see where I was going.

One more thing. The best colour temprature for the builds are 5000k or 6000k. Higher the number the bluer they look. 5k an 6k are a nicer bright white.
    Okay great, well I'll look into getting me some H7Rs. I am tempted to go with the 55w ones, just because they're brighter, but if you say they're a bit much... I'm gonna have to think.

And yes, the colour temperature info is one thing I did gain from my previous now-useless research! haha. But thanks for pointing it out!

Because I've got one halogne out at the moment. Do you reckon it is worth buying a halogen bulb to put in there for when it comes to my MOT? As in, removing these HID's and temporarily switching them out with the halogens just to pass my test?

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    35w is fine

5k - whiter than white, 6K - icy white, maybe a slight tinge of blue, but lovely and bright at night.

You need a H7R kit

Ive had previous experience with HIDs DIRECT and I found them to be crap kits, expensive and an incompetent aftersales service who basically didn't want to know.

ive bought from eBay since and its always been cheap kits....never had an issue with them.
    infact the kit I have in mine cost me £15 and its been in over a year....no issues.
    Thanks as well for your input!

I was actually leaning away from HIDs Direct just because of how much more expensive they are than the others even though afaik they're all the same basic bulbs. So yeah, I think I'm going to look at one of the other retailers. Anyone in particular you would recommend, other than eBay or anyone in particular on eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    Btw I think it's hilarious that your user name includes the word visual.......when your first post is all about changing your bulbs in your head lights coz you canny see...... brilliant.

I know it won't be to do with that ( I.T lingo I know ).
    Haha well actually the name came from a Burnout (as in the old racing game) related name generator years and years ago. So it is actually more closely related to cars than anything else. Nothing to do with IT! haha

15. Likes RBH liked

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast