So another power steering leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So another power steering leak

Ok so last week my power steering went, checked the reservoir and was empty, looked on the floor and fluid everywhere, I got my car recovered to a garage, which they fixed for me, the mechanic said that something had knocked the driveshaft gaitor, causing the gaitor to peel back, but the clip that was holding the gaitor on was catching a power steering pipe (metal pipe) and after time has caused it to cut through, so they took my car to an emergency hydraulic centre where they changed the metal pipe to a rubber pipe, I have no leaks now but there's still a bit of whining when steering, I can only think that the rubber pipe just isn't good enough and the metal pipe is metal for a reason, the mechanic said it was a cheaper option , what you think guys

Originally posted by Baz 160 nav View Post
    Ok so last week my power steering went, checked the reservoir and was empty, looked on the floor and fluid everywhere, I got my car recovered to a garage, which they fixed for me, the mechanic said that something had knocked the driveshaft gaitor, causing the gaitor to peel back, but the clip that was holding the gaitor on was catching a power steering pipe (metal pipe) and after time has caused it to cut through, so they took my car to an emergency hydraulic centre where they changed the metal pipe to a rubber pipe, I have no leaks now but there's still a bit of whining when steering, I can only think that the rubber pipe just isn't good enough and the metal pipe is metal for a reason, the mechanic said it was a cheaper option , what you think guys
    Was it driven at all with no fluid?, if so the power steering motor may have got damaged
    sigpic

Comment

No it wasn't mate

Comment

Pumps deffo been run dry if it’s whining mate, your menna fill them while steering lock to lock with engine turned off on a ramp with the wheels in the air, do essentially filling it before starting it, otherwise the pump will be running dry a few seconds and that’s all it needs to cabbage it unfortunately

14 Facelift ecoflex, 2.0 CDTI 190, Nav, S/S

Comment

Originally posted by Jordaninsignia14 View Post
          Pumps deffo been run dry if it’s whining mate, your menna fill them while steering lock to lock with engine turned off on a ramp with the wheels in the air, do essentially filling it before starting it, otherwise the pump will be running dry a few seconds and that’s all it needs to cabbage it unfortunately

14 Facelift ecoflex, 2.0 CDTI 190, Nav, S/S
          Ok so you think my pump may have gone then ?

Comment

Working...
          X