Whistle on tick over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistle on tick over

Need some help please .my insignia 1.8 has a whistling noise on idle when hot rev it up it stops ,doesn't do it all the time ,changed belts still there ,I thought it may have been the diaphragm in the cam cover ,opened the oil filler it didn't stop .it's coming from the front of the engine on the rhs but I can't pin point exact location ,has anybody had this on theirs and what was the cause ,it maybe water pump but not sure

Any help greatly appreciated

Alternator or Water pump maybe ?

Comment

Yeah maybe water pump but I can't understand why it's so intermittent ,I am looking for somebody who has had the same issue and can say it was this.as I don't want to keep changing parts ,I thought it may have been the cam cover breather but it doesn't stop when dip stick removed

Comment

Has anyone had any experience of changing the diaphragm inside the rocker cover I think it may be this making the noise

Comment

Anyone

Comment

It might be some air leaks or broken seal somewhere that makes this noise and when under pressure stops.
            Unfortunately only you can locate it as we can only guess.

Comment

Yeah just interested if anyone has changed the membrane in the rocker cover on an insignia ,found things about it an a 1.6 astra but nothing on insignia

Comment

Can you record a video and link in on here.

Comment

It's so intermittent ,it's like a whistle from a kettle from the right hand side of engine it did it once on Monday and not since ,I've put a screw driver against all pumps to my ear and can not identify location

Comment

Is it outside temperature related. As in does it when warm but not cold?

Thinking might be a hose / pipe with pin prick hole expanding when hot.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Don't believe it to be outside temp related ,I think it may be the rocker cover membrane as it made the noise Tuesday I opened the oil cap and it stopped refitted it and it started again ,but this week it hasn't made the noise again

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                        Don't believe it to be outside temp related ,I think it may be the rocker cover membrane as it made the noise Tuesday I opened the oil cap and it stopped refitted it and it started again ,but this week it hasn't made the noise again
                        seem to think i saw something about the seal on the oil fill cap, its easy to change (if i remember right its just an O ring) got to be worth changing (Just the O ring) just to eliminate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp View Post
                          Perhaps the cap wasn’t tight enough in the first place

Comment

Checked o rings on cap and dip stick don't think cap was loose as removed and noise stopped refitted and it came back I believe it to be pressure in the head cover but want to be 100% before I throw more money at it

Comment

smoke test comes to mind

Comment

Working...
                              X