Strange message on start up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange message on start up.

Quite often when I go to start the car after not using it for a couple of days I get a message on the dash saying "Open and close passenger window". I do as asked and the message disappears.

Any ideas what this strange message is about?

This happens when the battery has been disconnected.
    You have to fully open all 4 windows in the sequence - Drivers - Passenger - Rear left - Rear right for the car to configure the one touch open and close feature.
    Seems your vehicle is forgetting the passenger window setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
      This happens when the battery has been disconnected.
      You have to fully open all 4 windows in the sequence - Drivers - Passenger - Rear left - Rear right for the car to configure the one touch open and close feature.
      Seems your vehicle is forgetting the passenger window setting.
      Would this be the reason the passenger window only operates on one touch on down and not on up?

Comment

Not sure if these have relays on the motors? If so I’d check that

14 Insignia 2.0 VX line 190 Nav

Comment

Originally posted by Odd Job View Post
          Would this be the reason the passenger window only operates on one touch on down and not on up?
          Probably,

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting, this should bring up the 'close all windows in sequence messages'.
          Worth a go anyway.

Comment

Update.

This message continued to appear and more recently the window would fail to operate for the first few miles of a journey and then it would start working again. Then a couple of weeks ago the message appeared and the window wouldn't work. Then I kept getting a message that the same passenger door was open when it clearly wasn't. Also the interior light kept flashing on and off. Then the window stopped working completely (which was a pain because it was half open at the time), and the messages stopped completely.

So no working window and the door open switch was also not working as the interior lights were not coming on when that door was opened. I got a supposed mobile auto electrician in. He pissed about for about an hour checking connections (at £55 an hour), then he decided to plug in his diagnostic kit and it gave a lost communication to BCM (body control module) error.

He managed to get the half open window back up manually, then (£80 bill later) I got rid of him as he obviously didn't have a clue what he was doing.

So there is a bad connection somewhere. Most probably where the door loom plugs into the door pillar, although the connections on the loom look good.

Does anyone have any idea where to start or what to try next, without forking out more hard earned to imbeciles?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Could be that where the wiring loom from the body to the door there is a break in one of the cables----this was quite a common problem with the old Vectra and the only way to sort it out is by using a multimeter and checking every cable---your expert wasn't much help really------Dave

Comment

Thanks, I did wonder about that but there are no visible breaks, and the electrician did test most if not all the cables on the door.

I have thought about spending £20 on this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...cAAOSwZVpcyuxQ to see if things start working again.

Comment

I'm no expert, but whenever strange things start happening to the electrics, it often boils down to the battery beginning to fail. Might be worthwhile trying a known reliable battery before attacking the wiring loom?
                  2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                  Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Have you also checked the bcm wiring? It does sound like a break in the wiring somewhere.

Do you have rear electric windows? If so can you undo/do up the windows with the key?

Comment

There is a control module per door and that is normally part of the electric window module and all connections ( door light switch , window , etc all,go through that , maybe worth taking the door trim off and making sure all connections on bottom of that module,are not corroded and tight .
                      Trouble with canbus systems they are a pig to pin point component failure or wiring faults due to there nature .
                      Have you tried opening and closing the window with that door open ?
                      Because if there was a break or iffy wiring in the A pillar wiring where it enters that door it may well start working again when open ( if you can catch my drift ) ?

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Help, I have the same fault. I have my car in bits trying to find the fault but cant find anything suspect. Did you find the cause?

Comment

Had the same issue a few weeks ago and the AA or the garage couldn't find the fault. I was getting the open and close windows thing and got many (lots and lots) of service vehicle fault when driving, but no fault found on the diagnostic reader. Anyway, i decided to check the nut tightness around the battery,as the fault seemed intermittant and low and behold there was a loose bolt on the battery fuse holder (the one above the battery, where it splits the main positive from the battery into separate 100A and 500A feeds), so i tightend this (did about 4 turns until tight!) and no more issues
                          So have a check of the connections around the battery area.

Comment

I got another window motor from a breaker and laid it on the passenger seat plugged in for a few days and the fault did it return. I then fitted the motor 2 days ago properly and it's all been fault free since.
                            No door open message note open/close window

Comment

Working...
                            X