Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on purchase Insignia 160 CDTI

Hello everyone,

I have been looking into the insignia for the last few weeks. Seems a lot of car, for a reasonable price, especially second hand.
    Came across a few problems with the M32 gearbox, which is the reason I am trying to avoid this gearbox at all cost, but I would also like a bit of advice from the experts on this forum.

I found this Insignia: https://www.theaa.com/used-cars/cardetails/73-418238
    To me it seems like the body work is in good condition, no extreme "wear and tear" on steering wheel, buttons, gearstick or seats. So from the picture I don't see an indication of clocking.
    Outside reasonable good paintwork etc.

I have put a refundable deposit down on it for the next 2 days, as I will have a look at this car and have a good test drive with it on local roads and on motorways.

That all being said, I might make myself look like a idiot with the things said here. I would like to hear from you guys, if you see odd things on this vehicle, or in its history.
    It has passed it's MOT on feb the 22nd, with 1 minor: Front Outer Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge x2 (5.2.3 (e))
    The dealer says it has last been serviced at 118.000 miles, and got a full service history. 3 Stamps from main dealer and 3 from other garages.

Does this vehicle (Or the dealer) seem too good to be true, or could this be a good buy, just based on the things you see? As I understand you always will have to test the vehicle to make a final decision.
    And could anyone confirm this car definitely has the F40 gearbox, instead of the M32?

I hope I am in the right part of the forum, otherwise my apologies. Many thanks.

Hi, the average mileage for this age car is 68,500 miles this had done 125k not an issue probs just a rep car I bought insignia on 14 plate on 68k or summit drives well just had problem with dpf and egr.

But I wasn’t sure on how the old owner drove it so I replaced egr all fine now. After a regeneration of dpf also.

Common faults I hear on these are the dpf failing if only used round town and not took for a little blast once a week or so.

Also common faults I hear are weak gearboxes and bottom ends.
    But aslong as it’s fully serviced shouldn’t be a problem mate.
    With the mileage been this high I would ask the question on timing belt and water pump am sure that should of had a one in by now. As of pics looks really clean

Comment

The 160/163/165/170/195 versions of the 2.0CDTi should all have F40 gearbox.
      Lower-powered versions could have either M32 or F40. Later M32 have an improved design to reduce the likelihood of bearing failure which plagued earlier versions.

Comment

I would stay clear of high mileage pre-facelift due to the bottom end bearings seizinf from a hardened oil pick-up seal in the sump
        Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by Damo69 View Post
          Hi, the average mileage for this age car is 68,500 miles this had done 125k not an issue probs just a rep car I bought insignia on 14 plate on 68k or summit drives well just had problem with dpf and egr.

But I wasnÂ’t sure on how the old owner drove it so I replaced egr all fine now. After a regeneration of dpf also.

Common faults I hear on these are the dpf failing if only used round town and not took for a little blast once a week or so.

Also common faults I hear are weak gearboxes and bottom ends.
          But aslong as itÂ’s fully serviced shouldnÂ’t be a problem mate.
          With the mileage been this high I would ask the question on timing belt and water pump am sure that should of had a one in by now. As of pics looks really clean
          That's what I was thinking as well. Defo planning on checking timing belt. As I don't want to take a risk on that. (Well could be a point of negotiating). Hope I won't have too much issues with the DPF, drive around 50k to 55k miles a year. Thanks for your advice .

Comment

No problem, service book should be stamped if done anyway.
            Tbh I love the insignia I had one courtesy Car once loved it n said to my ex wife when next car due that’s our next car. They are so nice to drive.

Do post you updates and best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
              I would stay clear of high mileage pre-facelift due to the bottom end bearings seizinf from a hardened oil pick-up seal in the sump
              Is that a common problem? And how much would it be to get it fixed, if it happend, if any idea?
              As it sounds like a quite serious problem, which I would not like to happen.

Comment

Check out how many are for sale Spares or Repair with failed bottom ends !

Comment

I'm on the hunt for old high miler myself.
                  What i find is, there are quite a few things which should be changed or due to be changed but not done, and the car is then sold on to the next person to deal with.
                  Parts suchs as clutch (Hard clutch/slipping/high bite point), flywheel (rattlings and noisy), cam belt/aux belt not changed, turbo (whistling first signs but no idea since when), injectors leaking around top of engine and electrical accessories might not work. As for the insignia prefacelift itself add on top, the oil pick up seal has that been changed, and power steering pipe (has this been done) which can split and drip oil on to the dpf igniting the car.

Comment

In all fairness who is going to put money into a car that is for sale. It wont put the price up!

Comment

Fair point Mickyh7. I've had my testdrive this morning. Drove reasonable. Could tell clutch has defo had a good use of it, which could be a point. Asked about belt and the pick up seal. Belt was overdue by about 20k miles, and pick up seal hasn't been done.
                      Left the car where it was.

Comment

Wise move.
                        In my opinion.

Comment

I'll be one thats guilty for that, last twice i've swapped my cars is because i was having issues and big bills were probably around the corner. Part exchanged both and the last time when i got rid of my Insignia preface the guy at the dealers gave it a glance over as it was going dark so they dont really care!!

Comment

Originally posted by mickyh7 View Post
                            Wise move.
                            In my opinion.
                            Would you say a post facelift insignia is a safer bet? I see a couple of 2013-14 insignia's with roughly 115-130k miles? Or just completely stay away from all of them?

Comment

Good choice pal saved yourself in costly bills there

Comment

Working...
                              X