No announcement yet.

Weird turbo noise after engine rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird turbo noise after engine rebuild.

Hey guys so my insignia 2.0 2011 eco flex broke down due to a bad dpf sensor and the RAC caused the engine to blow.

I've had the car repaired by an indipendant garage who I can never get hold of anymore so I'm asking you guys for any tips or advice.

Basically the top half of the engine was removed cleaned and fully rebuilt. New camshaft rollers or whatever they are called. But since getting the car back the turbo has sounded like crap and the coolant seems to be leaking.

In the videos on YouTube below I have a strange squeal when the turbo kicks in.

I have no idea what the hell it is and I'm hoping someone here has had the same issue.

Secondly the coolant seems to be leaking slowly and every 3 weeks I need to fill it up. No wet spots under car (from what I noticed) but the problem is getting worse now.

Turbo noise https://youtu.be/BpeRcckZ7bc

Strange running noise https://youtu.be/rVCxDZRJDPk

If anyone has any advice from personal experience please let me know

Take the pipe off and see if there is any play in the turbo you can reach it with your finger. Take your oil cap off and check there’s no creamy stuff on top.

The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 233.5bhp 352.9lbft. Twin exhaust.
    The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

Il take the pipe off and have a look mate... So it may just be loose? I hope so

Also theres no cream on the oil cap it's perfectly clean in there and the oil is still very very clean.

Does the turbo require coolant at all? Cuz I was thinking it was going missing due to that (I know like the bare minimum) but I appritiate your fast response mate

Comment

If there’s excess movement in the turbo it’s doomed ! Hopefully there’s a simple fix for you

The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 233.5bhp 352.9lbft. Twin exhaust.
        The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

Turbo uses oil.

Comment

Turbo can get a refurb, my refurb was £140 ( not including taking it off the car.)

Back pressure may have killed some seals.

You need to go visit the garage and push an answer wether you like it or not

Comment

Originally posted by Geordieric View Post
              Turbo can get a refurb, my refurb was £140 ( not including taking it off the car.)

Back pressure may have killed some seals.

You need to go visit the garage and push an answer wether you like it or not
              Hey mate yeah I went to the garage today and they found play inside on the turbo so it needs replacing. They said they don't recommend refurbishing it but if you got yours done and it works fine I may go elsewhere to find someone to refurb it.

Was it a local garage who refurbed yours? Or like a main dealer?

Comment

Place called RS turbos, Whitley bay, Tyne and Wear Newcastle.
                Cracking small firm and knew his stuff.
                Also resolved a different problem I had with the actuator that they need paired to the turbo which was causing turbo not firing up.

Ask a few local garages and will find a local place to you.
                A strip down n check £40
                Refurb was £140 including check
                Replaced the core, bearings and all seals so good as new

Comment

Originally posted by Geordieric View Post
                  Place called RS turbos, Whitley bay, Tyne and Wear Newcastle.
                  Cracking small firm and knew his stuff.
                  Also resolved a different problem I had with the actuator that they need paired to the turbo which was causing turbo not firing up.

Ask a few local garages and will find a local place to you.
                  A strip down n check £40
                  Refurb was £140 including check
                  Replaced the core, bearings and all seals so good as new
                  Awesome man! Bit out of my way but I'm sure il find someone similar down my end thank you so much for your advice

Comment

I have used AET Turbos before and can definitely recommend. If you find a local garage to remove the turbo, AET will pick it up, have a look if it can be repaired, give you a Quote and return it to the garage for refitting. Prices seem reasonable too.

Comment

Unfortunately if I replied in detail you wouldn't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about but thank you for your entertaining post 😋
                      Always strive to do better. If a job needs doing don't ask do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X