Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red oil symbol on panel

Hi to everyone!
    I'am new with Vauxhall Insignia - my car is 2009. 2 CDTI Exclusive Hatchback

When I start engine on dashboard comes up red oil symbol.

Have readed errors - it said that it was oil preasure sensor - that's changed, but problem still there.
    Only there is change - when the light comes up and I press accelerator, than light go off and after I let accelerator off in few seconds red oil light comes back.

Don't drive your car with that warning like that. It may gonna need an oil pump seal replacement. You can seriously damage your engine.
    Did you had an oil pressure warning on the dashboard as well?

Comment

As stated above , don't Drive the car let alone start it !
      Warning lights on your dashboard are like a set of traffic lights
      Green = OK ( like you have your lights on )
      Amber = not ok but proceed with caution ( like low washer fluid )
      Red = stop stop stop AAAAAAArRRRRGGGGHHHH stop it hurts ( like low oil , low brake fluid ) .
      One thing have you checked the oil level via the dip stick ?
      Any history of oil changes with the car ?
      How long have you had the car ?
      In any case it requires investigation Toot sweet

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Possibly just the usual pump seal problem, but could actually be the pump itself.

Does the engine sound normal, when it is started?
        Is the 'low oil pressure' warning message coming on, or just the oil light?

First thing to check is the oil level.
        If it's not up to the max, top it up and maybe just slightly more than maximum (And I mean slightly).

Comment

Oil level seems to be ok and after I have changed oil pressure sensor engine runs smooth and dashboard shows only RED symbol of oil can - no other messages and did not had any before ( after I changed oil pressure sensor symbol comes up after aprox. 10 min. off engine work( not driving) if press accelerator pedal then it disappears and comes back as soon as you relese pedal - arround 2 seconds).

No history about car at all.
          I have this car for two weeks now.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Did you have the oil light come on before you changed the pressure switch .or was there a fault code stored ? .have you tried changing the oil ( dexos 2 ) and filter the oil could of degraded .esp if you have no history .or it could be a faulty sensor .

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yes it was coming on before than mechanic came over and readed errors with cable - and it said that oil pressure sensor is faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by FBI View Post
                after I changed oil pressure sensor symbol comes up after aprox. 10 min. off engine work( not driving) if press accelerator pedal then it disappears and comes back as soon as you relese pedal - arround 2 seconds).

No history about car at all.
                I have this car for two weeks now.

Any thoughts?
                In that case I believe that the previous owner knew about the oil pump pick up seal needs to be replaced and sold the car.
                What's the milage on it. Seal should be replaced every 100-120k for safety reasons.

Comment

Basically It sounds like the oil pump is not supplying enough pressure at idle, probably because the oil seal is allowing it to suck air in, when you press the accelerator, this is making the oil pump spin faster and giving enough oil pressure pressure to extinguish the oil light.

A second thought would be, if the when the codes were read, if it was showing that the oil pressure sensor was causing an error code, the new one you have fitted may be defective, it's a long shot but perfectly possible.

Comment

Car has 110 k miles

Comment

You need to get the engine oil pressure tested properly, by connecting a test gauge to the oil pressure switch hole.

As others have suggested above, suspect the oil pump seal. Stop driving the car and get it checked out, otherwise the engine will soon require a bottom end rebuild, or a new engine.

Comment

Originally posted by FBI View Post
                        Car has 110 k miles
                        It's about time to replace that seal than.
                        I recommend you not to drive until sorted.
                        Seal is for around 10£
                        Labour around 200£
                        Plus oil filters etc

Comment

Will update when will have something.

Comment

Working...
                          X