Locking wheel nut stuck [emoji2959]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking wheel nut stuck [emoji2959]

Thought I’d service my insignia today the first problem I ran into was the oil sump plug was rock solid and I couldn’t get it off,I was scared I’d round it off it I used anymore force,then when I tried to remove the drivers side wheel I couldn’t get the locking but off it must off been over tightened by the previous owner or tyre fitter,dose anyone know of anyone that can remove them for me around County Durham or the northeast?or any ways to do it myself also any suggestions on the sump plug?

Cheers

Sump plug was same on mine when I did it a few months ago, crappy design, if I remember rightly its a 12mm head but something like a 18mm thread.
    Anyway used a breaker bar and an Erwin removal socket, it was hella tight though.
    You will obviously need a new sump plug when it comes out.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Vauxh...frcectupt=true
    Get a set of something like this, it should work for both the sump plug and the locking wheel nut.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11PCS-Loc...UAAOSwLmBb4sbc

I've removed many a locking wheel nut, just by giving it 'what for' with an old 1/2" socket extension and the lump hammer, usually after a few good cracks it will just turn out with a pair of long nose pliers.
    Loads of vids on Youtube on removal.

Comment

Thanks mate I’ve already got a replacement sump plug with my service kit,I normally change the locking wheel nuts to normal ones as soon as I buy a car but didn’t this time for some reason ,is that nut remover kit the one you used just knowing my luck I’d buy it and it wouldn’t fit over my locking nut

Comment

Originally posted by Myk1984durham View Post
        Thanks mate I’ve already got a replacement sump plug with my service kit,I normally change the locking wheel nuts to normal ones as soon as I buy a car but didn’t this time for some reason ,is that nut remover kit the one you used just knowing my luck I’d buy it and it wouldn’t fit over my locking nut
        No mate, I have a set of Erwin ones.
        If you can't get a socket over the locking wheel nut, then its back to the method I said above, just keep cracking it and it will eventually shock it enough to move it.

Comment

the locking wheel nuts are a **** to get off if they've been over tightened,,,i got mine off by belting an imperial socket over the top,cant remember size,,,real ball ache though,if you don't want to damage the rim...good luck
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

heres a video,,,but this bloke wasn't to fussed about his wheel
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Just a me thing....but I always put the locker on after the other 4 nuts have been tightened and the wheel are back on the ground.
              That way, you can put it on and just pinch it and no more, that way, it'll always come off without any force or damage.

The locker is designed as a deterrent and its not to be overtightened.....or am I talking complete and utter bollox......
              Last edited by RBH; 13-04-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Cheers lads I’m on watching some how too videos on YouTube I don’t think I’ve got a socket that will fit over the nut im going to have to get some spare nuts before I attempt to get it off anyways

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                  Just a me thing....but I always put the locker on after the other 4 nuts have been tightened and the wheel are back on the ground.
                  That way, you can put it on and just pinch it and no more, that way, it'll always come off without any force or damage.

The locker is designed as a deterrent and its not to be overtightened.....or am I talking complete and utter bollox......
                  No Rab---that's exactly the way I do mine--done the same with the Vectra--but as soon as I have any problems with the lockers they will be going in the bin-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                    No Rab---that's exactly the way I do mine--done the same with the Vectra--but as soon as I have any problems with the lockers they will be going in the bin-----Dave
                    I'm glad I'm not alone Dave

I remember buying a set of Paddy Hopkirk lockers for my 14 inch 5 stud Rostyles on my 1977 VX490......I done it with them coz my old uncle ( an old school mechanic ) gave me the advice on how to do them.....and I've done it that way since then.....never had a minutes trouble ( touches wood )

Comment

As you say Rab they are just a deterrent and it was an old fella I knew who told me about these lockers being made from toffee---so I have always heeded his advice and just nip them up------Dave

Comment

I agree the lockers are normally quite soft they should not be rammed up as tyre places tend to do there is nothing worse than being stuck at side of the road with a locking nut you can't shift i normally take mine off

Comment

So I drove to meet a bloke who takes wheel nuts off,he had a couple of kits and he couldn’t get them off,some garage are going to have a look tomorrow so fingers crossed they can or I don’t know what I’ll do

Comment

Originally posted by Myk1984durham View Post
                            So I drove to meet a bloke who takes wheel nuts off,he had a couple of kits and he couldn’t get them off,some garage are going to have a look tomorrow so fingers crossed they can or I don’t know what I’ll do
                            did you watch that video,,,get a small chisel and cut through the outer ring what spins,,then I think it was a 5/8 th imperial socket I used,,just about a month ago,,,no damage to alloy in the process

Comment

I did mate,I got the collar off one and tried but there on proper tight they must of been put on with a impact wrench even the other nuts are really tight,I stopped incase I made them to bad for anyone to get off

Comment

Working...
                              X