How to hold the car in stop/start mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hold the car in stop/start mode

It's always annoying when the car goes a stop/start engine halt at the lights but comes back on again after a few seconds due to air-con or music playing.

I've figured out a trick to keep it halted for as long as you like.

Driving along with air-con running Meet red traffic light Bring car to standstill and go into neutral Stop/start system halts engine Stop/start cranks engine, too soon Light turns green Engine ticks over for 2 minutes waiting for light Put car into 1st gear (no clutch) Engine stays off as long as...

Obviously don't go mad with this because you'll probably flatten your battery, but for a few minutes at the traffic lights I'm sure it'll be fine.

What if you try to apply the first gear and the engine starts at the same time
    Besides most drivers want to switch it off rather than keep it on

Comment

>> What if you try to apply the first gear and the engine starts at the same time

I think that if you plop it into 1st gear immediately upon engine stop then it's very unlikely to crank.

>>Besides most drivers want to switch it off rather than keep it on

Surely not in the "MPG & Eco Driving" sub forum.

Comment

OK just tried this, message comes up on screen saying press clutch to start. But if you open your door, take seat belt off it switches the car off. And I'd hazard a guess it will also do this when voltage drops below the set level. Never actually timed mine, but usually lights near work I can be sat for over five minutes. My stop start usually works with air con, lights, heated seats on. But last week wouldn't work anytime . Now it's working again from starting car cold in the morning with everything on. Strange device .

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Working...
        X