28 MPG in Insignia B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 MPG in Insignia B

Hi all, I’ve had my Insignia B for just over a month now and I whilst I love the car I cannot believe how bad it is on fuel. It’s just over a year old and has 9k miles on the clock it’s a sports tourer 2.0 diesel automatic and it’s averaging 28mpg. I drive it extremely carefully but you can almost watch the fuel gauge go down! I’m not expecting it to be the most economical car in the world but i was expecting the mpg to at least be in the late 30’s. Is this normal or could there be a fault here? Might sound silly but it does have the 20” alloys so I’m not sure if this can affect the fuel economy at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It’s not run in yet, wait till about 30k

Comment

As above,engine's still tight.
      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Ah ok, interesting. Thanks both.

Comment

Maybe it's the speed you're travelling at (70mph? 20mph?) or where/when you're driving (big city/rush hour?) or the length of journey that you're making (short?).

Comment

I have the hatchback version. same engine and gearbox - I get about 32 mpg around town and it goes up to around 50ish on a run. 15,000 miles on mine.

Comment

I've got the Insignia A - 2.0 CDTi, I only work 3 miles from home and we use my Wife's car on a weekend, so my car never really warms up thoroughly.
              I also drive like Miss Daisy, currently showing 28 MPG.
              I've only done 2600 miles in the last 3 years .

Comment

I have the 2.0 diesel Grandsport hatch manual, and agree - the fuel economy is awful. My facelift A 163 diesel was returning 66mpg on my daily commute,... down to 45mpg with the Grandsport. No doubt the EU has something to do with this!! Tighten the emissions, but waste fuel,. makes sense.

Comment

Looking at these reports I'm so glad I got the 1.6 D. Averaging 50.4mpg round town with the occasional motorway blast.

Comment

I'm averaging 29.4mpg in my 1.5t petrol. Mine is mostly short town journeys. Mileage is 7,525 miles. I'd have thought a diesel would be quite a bit higher than 28mpg
                    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Why is it the older we get we worry more about mpg? Just get in the thing and drive

Comment

I have the same setup, Sports Tourer with 2.0 diesel and automatic.

I thought I had terrible fuel economy for the first 3000 miles, around 40 mpg, but your 28 mpg does sound a bit odd. In my case winter conditions and using Webasto at least two times a day increased consumption at the beginning, but I still wasn't happy with it.

Now my economy is slowly improving, and the average is around 44 mpg within 8000 miles, mixed driving. I think it will still improve as time goes by. It's easy to get around 50-55 mpg while not driving on high speed motorways or slow speed city centers.

I have made notes how much difference there is when focusing on economical driving versus careless driving with this car. The car is quite heavy, and the engine+transmission combo seems a bit thirsty, so slower speeds and constant braking/stopping/accelerating will yield poor economy. Instead, more anticipative driving style with engine braking and keeping safe distances have helped getting fuel economy to reasonable levels.

My consumption history from the beginning if anyone needs to compare:
                        https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/991787.html

Comment

Had my 2018 1.5 petrol for a week. I seem to be getting around 32mpg, but as it only had 1700 miles on the clock when I got it maybe it'll improve once it's run in?
                          2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                          Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

My 2015 tourer elite 1.6 is getting around 38 mpg city work and about 49/51 mpg motorway at around 70/75 mph. happy with that as a taxi.

Comment

i got 2.0t 4x4 elite nav the 260bhp gsi engine in mine and i got around 30-34 driving calm and its hard

Comment

Working...
                              X