Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on purchasing 61 plate 2.0 cdti

Hi

I'm about to purchase a 61 plate 2ltr cdti but have read a couple of concerning reviews about weak crank shafts and oil pump seals causing catastrophic engine failure. Can anyone advise if this is a common fault as has been presented, or if these cars are, by and large, reliable.

Cheers

Matt

I have a 2011 2.0 cdti Sri vx line. 42000 miles on the clock. I have had no engine issues so far. So, for me reliability has not been a problem, yes, I've had a few niggles, but none of them have been engine related. I'm sure the experts on the forum can answer the relevant issues....

2011. 2.0 diesel SRI VX LINE Nav

Comment

Originally posted by Arfa View Post
      I have a 2011 2.0 cdti Sri vx line. 42000 miles on the clock. I have had no engine issues so far. So, for me reliability has not been a problem, yes, I've had a few niggles, but none of them have been engine related. I'm sure the experts on the forum can answer the relevant issues....

Thanks Arfa, yea this one's got 63k on the clock, to be fair I've read more good than bad but was surprised by this particular review.

Thanks again

Matt

Comment

I think it depends on who does the review.. Don't get me wrong, but I've had many issues, that's why I joined the forum, there are so many knowledgeable members out there who can advise you. But overall, my car has been reliable and economical. It has been serviced regularly, which I think goes a long way for reliability...

Comment

Originally posted by Arfa View Post
          I think it depends on who does the review.. Don't get me wrong, but I've had many issues, that's why I joined the forum, there are so many knowledgeable members out there who can advise you. But overall, my car has been reliable and economical. It has been serviced regularly, which I think goes a long way for reliability...

Yea I agree... you can find dodgy reviews on anything... and this seems like a great place to get a bit of honest advice... thanks again man

Comment

No worries, that's what we're here for

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Nearly every engine type from every manufacturer has something to worry about.
                I wonder how many Insignia 2.0CDTi failures might have been noticed in their earlier stages if the car had been serviced by a main dealer instead of on the owners driveway or at an independent garage because it was cheap.
                I also wonder whether people might have used cheap oil or skipped timely servicing which hasn't helped the failure rate (since a lot of Vauxhalls are run by people who try to spend nothing on maintenance). And maybe excessive numbers of DPF regens from short journeys are spoiling the oil quality which affects the crank/pump seals.

BMW diesel engines have more than their fair share of timing chain failure, thought to be due to extended service intervals. Ford's Ecoboost petrols can overheat and crack the engine. PSA's direct injection petrols can suffer coked-up valves and misfires at surprisingly low mileage.

Unfortunately things going wrong - sometimes catastrophically - is a risk with almost any secondhand car.

When buying a used car there's always the worry as to whether the previous owner didn't want it anymore because it had an unresolvable intermittent fault or they suspected it might land them with big bill.

Perhaps PCP/lease has become popular because people don't have to worry about anything failing because they give the car back just as the warranty expires.

Comment

Welcome
                  LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by mattgro View Post
                    Yea I agree... you can find dodgy reviews on anything... and this seems like a great place to get a bit of honest advice... thanks again man
                    Second that. People will more likely post problems on the internet than post everything is fine. So far my Insignia is running fine, the only structural problem I’ve encountered was the leaking EGR cooler and seat heating not working (one site was an easy fix). And mines is far from new, with about 314,000 km on the clock.

Comment

Hi Matt,

If the car you're looking to buy has a full service history its usually a good indication of how it's been treated. As said...A well maintained car goes along way toward smooth reliable running. The oil pickup seal does raise it's ugly head more than we'd like but it has to be remembered there are a hell of a lot of Insignias on the road. Many run pretty problem free.
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Working...
                      X