Turbo? Dpf? Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo? Dpf? Help!!!!

Ok... My tale of woe with my 2013 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI started with a trip up the motorway and the display coming up with "engine overheating please switch off engine" I pulled over on to the hard shoulder turned the engine off and got out to inspect the engine. On opening the bonnet the engine displayed no signs of overheating so I sat on the hard shoulder for 20 mins to let the engine cool. On starting the engine up again the engine sounded like a bag of spanners and the overheating message was displayed again. RAC called out and on arriving scanned and cleared the faults. Car started as normal and no issues for about 100 miles when the engine management light came on luckily enough by my house.

The EML stayed on and the car felt really sluggish, limp mode, so a trip to my regular garage and he noticed a split turbo intercooler pipe which he replaced. However the car continued to show the following codes......P2458, P2263, P2453,P003A. The mechanic erased these faults however the car still seemed sluggish for a while until the car performed a DPF regen and the fault seemed to clear slightly with the car feeling a lot better to drive but still slightly sluggish. No EML had come on either. The following day the service vehicle soon warning came back on and another trip back to the garage. The mechanic looked at the DPF which he said looked clear and a quick look at the turbo which he said looked ok as well. He suggested I book it in with Vauxhall to see if they could shed any light on it.

Vauxhall today ran a diagnostic on the car and seem none the wiser with the service vehicle soon still on display and the same slight sluggishness on trying to accelerate. They have suggested the following a new turbo, a new DPF and a new intercooler quoting £3000 and suggesting that this may not even solve the issue.....I'm no mechanic but the guy I spoke with did not fill me with confidence.

Anyone have any similar issues or fixes? The car is only now worth about £4500 and I'm considering cutting my losses and selling it for scrap rather than fork out £3000 with no guarantee of a fix

Thanks in advance......................

Originally posted by Jarvo View Post
    Ok... My tale of woe with my 2013 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI started with a trip up the motorway and the display coming up with "engine overheating please switch off engine" I pulled over on to the hard shoulder turned the engine off and got out to inspect the engine. On opening the bonnet the engine displayed no signs of overheating so I sat on the hard shoulder for 20 mins to let the engine cool. On starting the engine up again the engine sounded like a bag of spanners and the overheating message was displayed again. RAC called out and on arriving scanned and cleared the faults. Car started as normal and no issues for about 100 miles when the engine management light came on luckily enough by my house.

The EML stayed on and the car felt really sluggish, limp mode, so a trip to my regular garage and he noticed a split turbo intercooler pipe which he replaced. However the car continued to show the following codes......P2458, P2263, P2453,P003A. The mechanic erased these faults however the car still seemed sluggish for a while until the car performed a DPF regen and the fault seemed to clear slightly with the car feeling a lot better to drive but still slightly sluggish. No EML had come on either. The following day the service vehicle soon warning came back on and another trip back to the garage. The mechanic looked at the DPF which he said looked clear and a quick look at the turbo which he said looked ok as well. He suggested I book it in with Vauxhall to see if they could shed any light on it.

Vauxhall today ran a diagnostic on the car and seem none the wiser with the service vehicle soon still on display and the same slight sluggishness on trying to accelerate. They have suggested the following a new turbo, a new DPF and a new intercooler quoting £3000 and suggesting that this may not even solve the issue.....I'm no mechanic but the guy I spoke with did not fill me with confidence.

Anyone have any similar issues or fixes? The car is only now worth about £4500 and I'm considering cutting my losses and selling it for scrap rather than fork out £3000 with no guarantee of a fix

Thanks in advance......................
    I can't remember which sensor, but if you Google this it's a common fault. Not saying this is your issue but sounds very familiar to what I have read. Sure someone here will know.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvo View Post
        Thats worrying, think you should look for another dealer, seems they just want to replace parts until they find the faulty part.

Comment

Exhaust gas temperature sensor
          I think it's bank 1 position 2 ( but don't shoot me if I'm wrong )
          Also you say you had the overheat light come on and stopped the car then when you re-started it it sounded unwell
          But the RAC cleared the codes and all was well
          Thaught there was a software update for that cos Vauxhall were aware of this . ( but don't spank me if its not true !)
          What they are saying is like me going round someone house where there heating don't work and saying well it's either
          1) the pump
          2) the radiators
          3) the boiler
          So we will replace all 3 and take it from there ! £3000 thank you very much

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
            Exhaust gas temperature sensor
            I think it's bank 1 position 2 ( but don't shoot me if I'm wrong )
            Also you say you had the overheat light come on and stopped the car then when you re-started it it sounded unwell
            But the RAC cleared the codes and all was well
            Thaught there was a software update for that cos Vauxhall were aware of this . ( but don't spank me if its not true !)
            What they are saying is like me going round someone house where there heating don't work and saying well it's either
            1) the pump
            2) the radiators
            3) the boiler
            So we will replace all 3 and take it from there ! £3000 thank you very much
            Look at this recently discussed post as said a known fault by Vauxhall https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...e-Computer-Bug

Comment

This is a known concern. The overheat warning comes on the dash and is a bit of a red herring as it relates to the fact one of those exhaust gas temp sensors has reported an excessively high temperature, as opposed to coolant overheating.

Seen some of them non running until the faults were cleared as the ECM jammed the throttle/anti-shudder flap shut until the codes were cleared.

There's a bulletin for potential software update and to check the plausibility of the exhaust gas temp sensor(s) - normally one of them is skewed high and has to be replaced, along with the update if it's due. Some A20's are fitted with one sensor, some two.

Comment

Just had a thaught ! Now no one knows your car better than youhoo, as you are saying it feels a bit under powered , I think you require someone who is able to carry out live data on the car ( seems your Vauxhall garage is unable to do that ) whilest driving it that way they will be able to see if the car is boosting correctly, DPF saturation levels , all manner of feedback .

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Agreed with above on the live data - its the best tool for diagnosing these, checking the exhaust temps on a stone cold engine will highlight a sensor that's reading incorrectly.

Comment

Yes I had this issue when I first got the car. I thought has the oil disappeared when I tried restarting the car.

Mine was under warranty and only cost £20 (for the carpass code)

It was an EGT I believe but not sure which one.

Comment

Thanks,

Everyone going to look into this over the next few days and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice

Comment

Working...
                      X