2011 Tourer Rear Shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Tourer Rear Shock

The trader i bought my car from fitted a new rear shock for the mot, I took the car to work today to give it a check over.
    On the way, theres a knock from the back.
    Up on the ramp, I found the new shock had the dust boot flapping around.

Its a Sachs 315439, which Euro say is listed for my car. Ive had a google, and cant see any other part numbers. Vauxhall said the Tourers had bigger rear shocks, and wanted £450 +vat.

OEM Shock Piston Dia 18mm
    Sachs Shock Piston Dia 13mm

OEM Body Dia 60mm
    Sachs Body Dia 44mm

So its no wonder, the dust cover, which is just an interferance fit, doesnt sit on the Sachs unit.
    Under the car, i could also push up / compress the OSR suspension, but couldnt budge the NSR, so the shock is softer too.

Is this a known / common thing? Any alternative other than OEM?

Can see the size difference here

Comment

Hello Rom just a couple of things
      The last photo you show is that of the "new" shock ?
      If so to me that looks very dirty / dare I say it used
      Also if that is you should not be able to see the piston , the dust cover is there to stop ingrees of dirt into the seals
      Also cross referencing that Sachs part number , with Oem number that shock is not compatible
      Also ( and I know you brought it off a trader ) but the rule of thumb is you replace in pairs , cos if one is u/s then the other is not far behind .
      You say you can compress it by hand , a new shock should be stiff and hard ( way my wife likes it ) to compress .
      Mot testers only do a bounce test and check for oil mist .
      A worn shock you won't know till you take it off and compress it and see how long it takes to revert to rest position ( a long time = worn )

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The last picture is the new shock, but what you can see is the dust boot slid all the way down the piston! As the piston is too thin to actually hold the boot in place.

Sadly, no garage will replace shocks in a pair. It's a great idea in practice, but in reality, it just isn't practiced. It could be said about any component. Would you change both wheel bearings, both suspension arms etc.
        Manufacturer's wouldn't replace a pair under warranty if one had gone.

Do you have a link to where you found that information? Did you find a suitable replacement number, or just that the one I have isn't right?

Comment

The correct shocks for the Sports Tourer are 22987829 and 22987830----these are left and right handed---come complete with the top mounts--and are around £100 each delivered ---if my memory is correct---I got a pair for mine from Germany----ebay is your friend with these--genuine parts too-----Dave

Comment

Fair comment Rom , but I'm anal , so if one fails then the other gets done no matter what .
            As for the part number not cross referencing, I just used google , stuck in the Sachs part number
            And going by the part number on the old shock it don't cross reference with the one fitted
            But as Dave has kindly put the part numbers for original shocks

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Thanks Dave, ebay only brings up 1 item for each, £76 a pop, and doesnt say they fit 2ltr diesel Tourer, just 1.4 and 1.6.

Not sure if links are allowed? Sorry if not...But http://catcar.info/opel/?lang=en&l=b...a2V5PT0xMDE%3D

That site lists the part number you gave for Lowered Sports Chassis POC XJ2 Ident ABM9 (whatever that means) but outside my vin range.
              It also shows shocks for Bad Road Package or Standard Chassis.
              Im guessing a 20.CDTi Elite is just Standard?

Ive actually emailed Sachs so will see what they come back with. But I just want to get the right shock, who would thought a Vauxhall would be so hard to get parts for

What is the OEM part number, going off my picture? The 13319434 or 314801619 ?

Lizzard hope i didnt come across as a nob Appreciate the input

Comment

Rom you did not come across like a nob at all .as I said in my last post it's a fair comment you put across .
                So no offense taken from it . Believe it I'm a moderator on a site for Saab owners and you become very thick skined .
                The part number I was cross referencing was the one next to GM starts with 133 that tally's up as a known part number ..
                The thing I find and this comes from years with Saab is that there's nothing more frustrating than trying to buy either brakes or shock absorber or springs because of the variations in size . Length or chassis set ups

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Rom View Post
                  That site lists the part number you gave for Lowered Sports Chassis POC XJ2 Ident ABM9 (whatever that means) but outside my vin range.
                  It also shows shocks for Bad Road Package or Standard Chassis.
                  Im guessing a 20.CDTi Elite is just Standard?
                  Your 2.0 CDTi Elite isn't an ecoflex is it? The ecoflex model is lowered.

Comment

It says EFlex on the V5 greenslip, so i guess it is. Its £145 tax.
                    I thought EcoFlex had smaller wheels etc

So im guessing I have self levelling, due to Xenons?

On the link I posted, my PN for NS of 13319434 is listed for Estate Auto Levelling, no mention of lowered. Doesnt say its handed unlike most of them, is also in my Vin range, of Upto D1013828

Comment

Originally posted by Rom View Post
                      It says EFlex on the V5 greenslip, so i guess it is. Its £145 tax.
                      I thought EcoFlex had smaller wheels etc
                      I think Eflex might be different. Mine is a 160 ecoflex with stop/start, says 'CDTI ECO SS' on the logbook, and is £30 tax. There is also an ecoflex badge on the tailgate. It's also got 17" wheels, which I thought was a bit odd as the tyre pressure sticker has 18" tyres on it.

Either way, the new shocker on yours doesn't look right, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cross reference as compatible. As lizzard says, there can be so many suspension component variations that motor factor's catalogue data fail to identify some correctly.

Comment

I've been googleing, and found out that the part number 13319434 is for a rear shock absorber from an insignia estate , with the optional " towing pack " which includes self levelling shock absorbers .
                        Buy Car Shocks and get the best deals at the lowest prices on eBay! Great Savings & Free Delivery / Collection on many items

The one above the listing has ended but shows you what shocks should be on your car.

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Mine doesnt have stop start, so that will have a big effect.
                          I'll do a HPI at work tomorrow and find out some more about specs etc. I was guessing EcoFlex just wouldnt fit on the green slip.

Ideal scenario, is finding an aftermarket shock, so I can go back to the trader with a resolution. Not sure they are going to want to buy a genuine one at that price.

Thanks for the link Lizzard, ill see what I can find, but appears they arent going to be the most common of shocks to trace (other than from Vauxhall) curious about the self levelling. It will be using height sensors to adjust xenons, but the shocks have no electrical connection or anything.

Comment

Don't know if you can ditch the self leveling shocks for standard ones . I'm not sure about the insignia headlight levelling system .but on others there's a levelling sensor .on the rear axel separate from the shocks themselves . just a possibility or I could be talking out of my cazoo .

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure at all. Generally a car would have height sensors front and back, this reports back how low / high one end is.
                              The headlights are then adjusted to not dazzle via the headlight motors, not the suspension.

Self levelling to me, suggests the car can level itself out, which would require air suspension or similar. A shock can only adjust dampening and rebound.

Comment

Working...
                              X