Rom's 2011 Elite Tourer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rom's 2011 Elite Tourer

Thought I'd start a little thread to document my latest purchase. Will mostly be tidying it up, fixing some issues, the usual stuff. No modding planned for this, it's meant to be the sensible family car [emoji6]

I had a 07 Accord Executive that I picked up cheap, the primary reason was for tip runs. Bought a fixer upper, and lots of DIY on the horizon.
    Then I was awoken at 4am to the police knocking on my door! This was the scene

And here is the aftermath

Was clearly a write off, along with the bodywork, the suspension arm snapped, gearbox bearings were shot (was in gear).

My initial choice was a newer Accord, as I'm a Honda man at heart. We had been using the car more and more, not just for the tip, it was well specced and comfy for longer journeys. Heated, Electric Leather Seats, Sat Nav, rear Sensors etc.

Sadly the gen 8 Accord has very intrusive rear suspension, meaning the boot has a very narrow section. I looked at an A6 Avant, E Class and a 5 Series before leaning towards an Insignia.
    While id decided I didn't mind spending a bit more towards a nicer car, it still had to be practical for filling with DIY debris! So that ruled out anything too new or expensive.
    That said, I didn't fancy going down in spec from the Accord. Which for an Insignia, meant I was limited pretty much to Elites.

This was up pretty local, for a reasonable price judging from Auto Trader.
    Went and drove it, and left a deposit.
    Picked it up last week.
    Not the best pics, I'll get some once it's washed and some progress pics too.

Its not without its issues it seems. Parking Sensors are playing up, worked on roadtest, not when i got home. Have been mostly non working since, though did come to life on Saturday morning.
    https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...ark-Assist-Off

Service Vehicle Soon is illuminated, now I thought this was a service light, have since learned its not. So ill grab the codes out of it tomorrow.
    Do they ever put EML etc on? Or just this Service Vehicle Soon? Seems counter intuitive, Im guessing for a serious fault it would put EML, as this warning doesnt scream 'theres a fault, better get it fixed asap' to Id guess a large majority of drivers!

Rear shock was replaced for MOT, got a knock still, appears shock isnt suiteable for my spec.
    https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...rer-Rear-Shock

Tailgate only works off Key and door, awaiting the switch repair kit, will see if this fixes it fully, or if inner button is a seperate fault.

First plans are (excluding the above)

Do something about wood trim
    Paint Correction (then weigh up whats worth repairing)
    Sort front bumper / grilles. Need to remove and see whats gone on.
    Last edited by Rom; 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM. Reason: More details

Damn.....
    You gonna fix it or write it off?

Comment

Written off, not worth fixing. THey estimated close to £3k just for body repairs. Without mechanical. Cars not worth much, havent been paid out yet, but settled on £1500, which im very happy with given what i paid for I paid for it.

Comment

Nice Insignia! ....Shame about the Accord.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

So first update, scanned for DTCs, have a few stored.

P03A3 - Cylinder 2 Pressure Sensor Circuit Erratic
          P0671 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Control Circuit
          P0672 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Control Circuit

B0957 - Front Right Sensor Incorrect Period

Parking sensor on inspection, has been touched up, and flaked (loose but not flaked off so didnt notice), so cleaned to loose paint off, fine ever since.

The glowplugs seem to be pretty common, not scoped them as Im taking the car back to the trader.
          From what ive read, the plugs have a pressure in the top of them, making them £100+ each! Seems there was a bulletin about a software update for this issue back when they were new too.

Dropping the car back next week for them to rectify the shock and service vehicle soon message. I do like the car, so ideally it will be repaired and ill keep it.

Comment

Any update on your progress

Comment

Hi,

Sorry haven't been around. Lots of diy going on, eating up all my time.

So 2 glow plugs were replaced, that sides all sorted now.

Had 2 new boot switches, so boot now opens and closes from all options.

Shock is still on going. They offered a refund, but I do actually like the car. So if they can't source one, we will being getting a new oem one, that we are contributing to.
              Not the most ideal solution, but I'm not too sad about it. It's a used car, could be worse, I could have to pay for it all (if I bought private)

I started some paint correction, but have only managed the 1st stage on one side so far.

Comment

Working...
              X