X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd converted to 2wd

Hi, I’m about to pick up the keys to my new
    Insignia turbo Sri estate
    It has 4wd but due to a problem with the diff it has been changed to run 2wd.

I am not mechanically minded at all, so any advice on how this will affect the car is much appreciated. Thank you !

I wouldn't buy it. It's probably bodged.
    It's an undeclared modification, too, in the eyes of insurers.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
      I wouldn't buy it. It's probably bodged.
      It's an undeclared modification, too, in the eyes of insurers.

Here is the link, if you wouldn’t mind having a quick look please

Comment

57k miles and then already have the rear differential broken? What did they do with the car, tow a heavy trail through the sand? Also I’m a bit allergic for those car sellers writing everything with capitals, doesn’t look very professional.

Comment

Personally I wouldn’t buy the car.
          I think it is a bit overpriced, it is not a fully working vehicle if it needs a new differential. Unless you can get the price down by one thousand pounds in my opinion.
          LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
            Personally I wouldn’t buy the car.
            I think it is a bit overpriced, it is not a fully working vehicle if it needs a new differential. Unless you can get the price down by one thousand pounds in my opinion.
            If the diff is knackered it could be more like £4k to put it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
              .....What did they do with the car, tow a heavy trail through the sand?....
              Probably, like most owners, the previous owner didn't have the 4wd serviced. Firstly it's not mentioned in the service schedule and secondly most people spend as little as they think they can get away with when it comes to maintenance.
              Although no service interval is specified for the 4wd, I'd suggest every 3yrs/30k whichever comes first. The 4wd on mine was serviced a couple of years ago and I plan to have it serviced next spring. I'd rather pay a few hundred quid for a 4wd service than a few thousand quid for a new rear diff. And I like my cars to be in excellent mechanical order.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLoughran View Post
                https://www.northwestautomobilesltd....01905067667952

Here is the link, if you wouldn’t mind having a quick look please
                Dashboard warning messages are an MoT fail. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled fuse 23 which provides power to the 4wd and its controlling electronics to ensure no dash warnings.
                The car could still have a crumbling rear diff (but which is no longer connected to the prop shaft/gearbox/engine because the electronics and Haldex clutches aren't powered) which is gradually grinding itself to bits and one day it might fail in some bizarre way and cause you to have an accident.

Comment

I spoke to the dealership and the dealer said that the owner did it on purpose and wasn’t done for any mechanical reason

Comment

Considering what has been posted, I would be walking away. Is the dealer giving you any warranty on the diff.
                    LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

I spoke to the dealership and the dealer said that the owner did it on purpose and wasn’t done for any mechanical reason
                      ... In which case, at least ask for the previous owners contact details and check with them that this is correct - although it's not like a used car dealer to tell porkies, is it?
                      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Sorry, but the sails man believing this is stupid. There is no reason to disconnect the four wheel drive unless there is an issue with it.

Comment

What reason could there ever be to buy a car with something like that then mot want it.

I'd walk away and find a fully working one for same price.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I would be walking away from that---there are many other cars for sale and this is something that someone needs rid---wouldn't believe a word the seller is telling you----Dave

Comment

I have bought a car from Northwest Autos and they were great. Seemed very genuine to me and the car was fantastic until someone decided to drive into the side of it!

However, as everyone else has said, I would walk away from this deal. It will come back to bite you sooner or later. It's a lot of money for a car with a potentially serious/dangerous and costly defect.

The sat nav screen looks a bit dodgy too!
                              Last edited by Grimlock; 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X