Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change ?

Hi,
    I have a 2011 CDTI Opel Insignia 130, only 72000km (44738 miles) on the clock.
    Book just says A20DT for engine type

Needs a MOT/NCT soon.

Do I need to get a new belt fitted ?

I do belts 3 years and 80k no matter what it says.
    Any info when last one changed as should have been done on that age

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's never been changed. The garage where I got it seemed to think it was 10 years (100,000m) for that car is that correct or is it 6 years ?

As the Mileage is low is it an option to just change the belt ?

Comment

These timing belt intervals were to make fleet operators happy ( ie 100.000 miles or 10 years which ever comes sooner ) but relying on a tooth belt to last 100.000 miles or 10 years to me is chancing your luck .I do cam belt changes 4 years or 40.000 miles I'd rather pay £300 or so for a cambelt water pump tensioner and aux belt change rather than paying over a £1000 or scrapping the car because the cam belt snapped

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Rubber degrades with age. Yours is very low miles

Do a belt on its own will be ok, but paying a mechanic twice is daft tho.

The new belt will be a lot tighter and may cause the tensioner to lose strength and cause a slack belt which then affects the timing of the car as not all precise.

It’s one of the things that should be done properly. Don’t really get a second chance if it’s done wrong

Comment

Also another thing is with the smoke limit test on diesel cars they do need to put the car under load ( rev it ) and when my Saab Tid goes for an MOT the tester always asks when the cambelt was charged cos they don't want to cause damage in doing the test.so with no history of it being done they may refuse to carry out the test.

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Another thing to consider in one way it's good having a low mileage motor but it can also be bad if the car is sitting for a while the belt tends to get harder think of how the belt fits and the curves it goes round the belt cracks with age so I would definitely change the belt more frequently than it says better safe than sorry

Comment

As said,get all done for piece of mind,belts do have a sell by date on the box also.
                Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I'll get it all done ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                  X