Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake discs

Hi all.

My trusty insignia has developed a vibration in both the pedal and wheel on braking. It's only started occuring so I'm guessing it's the discs causing the issue.

I've been quite hands on with my car's as of late and have built up the curriage to fix them myself.

Could someone please point me in right direction as in what disc size I need to look for?

Also what tools IL need?

Mines a 2014 insignia elite hatchback.

Thank you

No special tools needed for front brakes . have a look at your rear discs,if theyre solid discs,your fronts will be 296,,if rears are vented,then the fronts will be 321mm
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

13mm socket and is it 19mm for the carrier/caliper?? I can't remember and you'll need a torx bit to take off the disc. Can't remember that size either T20/25 perhaps. I know it's T20 for the bumper/door cards etc.

Comment

Thanks, the both of you.

Is it possible to fit the 321 if previously you had the 296?

Not had chance to look properly but will do after work today. Also do you recommend a certain brand. I've used pagid in the past but in my eyes there a little to squicky on braking.

Thinking of the below.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
          Thanks, the both of you.

Is it possible to fit the 321 if previously you had the 296?

Not had chance to look properly but will do after work today. Also do you recommend a certain brand. I've used pagid in the past but in my eyes there a little to squicky on braking.

Thinking of the below.

Thanks.
          You would need to buy 321mm calipers etc.

I've used genuine vx in the past and as you know OEM are the best for your car.
          At present I'm using Mtec drilled and grooved discs ( used them for my Vectra B's & C's ) and never had any issues.

Comment

I am doing mine today as I too have some vibration at high speed braking. I bought these, with pads to match although mine are 321mm. Never tried them before but they were a good price, so we'll see.
            Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Brembo 09.A971.11 Brake Disc at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

Comment

Maybe high speed braking is what is causing the problems .

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
              Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                Maybe high speed braking is what is causing the problems .

Ok, I'll rephrase.....I too have some vibration when braking at 50 to 70mph

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
                  Thanks, the both of you.

Is it possible to fit the 321
                  New calipers,caliper carrier bracket,then you'll have to either replace your disc backing plate to bigger size,or remove yours
                  ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Yeah, it's all relative. Bigger disc, bigger everything else. Well, I've had a few struggles along the way but I've done mine and it's safe to say these discs needed replacing, vibration or not . The most striking thing today though, was how big and heavy they are!

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                      Yeah, it's all relative. Bigger disc, bigger everything else. Well, I've had a few struggles along the way but I've done mine and it's safe to say these discs needed replacing, vibration or not . The most striking thing today though, was how big and heavy they are!
                      I did the same as you, already had the Brembo pads from a deal EuroCarParts had a while ago & got the Brembo discs more recently when they had a 60% off deal, pair of front discs for my 1.8 Elite for under £80 delivered. Much better feel & no more vibration, pads needed replacing anyway. Only issue I have now is the front brakes now squeak when they're hot, despite me using copper grease! Oh well, have to have them apart again to give them a bit more grease I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                        I did the same as you, already had the Brembo pads from a deal EuroCarParts had a while ago & got the Brembo discs more recently when they had a 60% off deal, pair of front discs for my 1.8 Elite for under £80 delivered. Much better feel & no more vibration, pads needed replacing anyway. Only issue I have now is the front brakes now squeak when they're hot, despite me using copper grease! Oh well, have to have them apart again to give them a bit more grease I guess.
                        Nice, yeah mine was a good deal at Euro too. Feels nice now, just trying to run them in properly before they get abused
                        Is the squealing not perhaps from brake dust? Do they make a lot of dust? Never tried them before

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                          Nice, yeah mine was a good deal at Euro too. Feels nice now, just trying to run them in properly before they get abused
                          Is the squealing not perhaps from brake dust? Do they make a lot of dust? Never tried them before
                          I don't think it's brake dust, I had only done a couple of hundred miles when it started, I had a similar issue when I changed the rear discs & pads for Brembo ones, had them apart & regreased & not heard a thing since.

I remember posting on the VectraC forum a few years ago when I put discounted discs on my old Vectra, some keyboard warrior claimed the discs & pads must be rubbish if they're discounted by so much, my pocket wasn't complaining & they looked & worked as they should, so happy days!

Comment

Hi all I have a 2017 grand sport sri vx line tourer, any idea of easy way to find out brake disc/pad sizes? Thanks in advance

Comment

Welcome royd71, to the friendliest forum on t'interweb

We like it if members introduce themselves in the 'new members' section, maybe giving details such as model, engine type, location etc before launching into specifics, (see https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...-(please-read) and https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...orum-etiquette)

Cheers
                              2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                              Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Working...
                              X