Vibration through steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration through steering wheel

I bought my 2011 plate 2.0cdti about 6 weeks ago and it had steel wheels on there which I hated. I didn't have it long and changed the wheels over for a set of alloys from a 2014 and swapped the wheel nuts for the right ones for the alloys.
    I've been having a vibration through the steering wheel at around 80mph and was wondering if I fact the wheels from a 2014 will fit straight onto a 2011.
    The tyres ive put on from the steel wheels were 225/55/17, I then put them straight onto the alloys and not 100% sure they are the original size for that particular alloy 🙈.

Can anyone tell me if the tyres actually are correct for this wheel and also if they need spigots or not to swap straight over .

Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	249059

Straight swap, I'm assuming you've had them balanced as well?

Did you check the alloys for any dings or cracks?

For 18 inch alloys it's 245/45 so could it be 245/50/17? I have no idea.

You can check on a website just Google it.

Edit: just googled the rolling resistance pretty much the same but I don't know if they are still ok
    Last edited by Lewish; 19-05-2019, 06:51 AM.

Comment

As lewish says above , check alloys for dings or cracks , but most importantly wheel balance, if it's only at 80 MPH , then seems not balanced properly.
      But also check tyres for bulges cuts , also are they not out of shape .
      Have you tried swapping fronts to rears and see if it improves, if so then it's a balancing issue , that's a simple test .

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Might be bushes as well.

Comment

wheel vibration can be many things - first off check balancing as it's the most likely and cheapest if this has only occurred during the swap. Have the wheels checked for damage / buckles or cracking.

My Vectra did this when I had new tyres fitted - vibration started at 65mph and continued above that, rebalanced many times and other checks found nothing. My mechaninc looked at the car and discovered the top shock mount bearing were failing, had them replaced for £130 and the problem went.

Comment

Working...
          X