Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain and coolant pump

Hello got an A20NHT insignia 2009
    I was wondering if the timing chain and coolant pump should be replaced at specific intervals or these are lifetime?
    Kindly advise

Originally posted by alihijazi View Post
    Hello got an A20NHT insignia 2009
    I was wondering if the timing chain and coolant pump should be replaced at specific intervals or these are lifetime?
    Kindly advise
    Hi, technically there is no recommended interval like with belts. The most important thing would be that it has been/is regularly serviced, it is crucial to the life of the chain as well as VVT phaser gears(they work with oil pressure)and it's operation. Saying that, it could be susceptible to stretching and problems with the tensioner, especially at higher mileage, which would be obvious if there are any chain rattles, more noticable at cold start. If this is the case, do bear in mind that since it's not expected to normally have the chain replaced as it is intended to last much longer than cam belts, the design is such that it's less simple to do and it will cost considerably more too, as there's also a balance shaft chain that would ideally need replacing at the same time. Waterpump can be changed separately if the chain is fine, however this runs off the balance shaft chain which is located behind the cam chain. Fortunately though, on the A20NHT the chains and waterpump seem to be fairly reliable. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
      Hi, technically there is no recommended interval like with belts. The most important thing would be that it has been/is regularly serviced, it is crucial to the life of the chain as well as VVT phaser gears(they work with oil pressure)and it's operation. Saying that, it could be susceptible to stretching and problems with the tensioner, especially at higher mileage, which would be obvious if there are any chain rattles, more noticable at cold start. If this is the case, do bear in mind that since it's not expected to normally have the chain replaced as it is intended to last much longer than cam belts, the design is such that it's less simple to do and it will cost considerably more too, as there's also a balance shaft chain that would ideally need replacing at the same time. Waterpump can be changed separately if the chain is fine, however this runs off the balance shaft chain which is located behind the cam chain. Fortunately though, on the A20NHT the chains and waterpump seem to be fairly reliable. Hope that helps.
      That's precise and concise thank you for your prompt response
      It's just that previously I used to own Astra H and you know those have to have these replaced and regular intervals and this is my first time I drive insignia
      No previous experience in them

Comment

Originally posted by alihijazi View Post
        That's precise and concise thank you for your prompt response
        It's just that previously I used to own Astra H and you know those have to have these replaced and regular intervals and this is my first time I drive insignia
        No previous experience in them
        I could be wrong but I'm not really aware of any chain driven engines with specified intervals for replacement by the manufacturers, due to the purpose being to negate the need for replacement but obviously that is a grey area as things could easily go wrong if not serviced or even just failure due to quality of a component. A prime example of this is with my own car. I was also concerned about this and went to great lenghts to find out what my chain's service life would be but there is just no clear answer. I would say that the chain probably wouldn't need changing unless there's something wrong(touch wood), mainly due to the high costs and work involved. Apart from bad servicing intervals, the guides and tensioner seems to be the most common to look out for, they've gone through a few revisions to finally make one that works better. For my own peace of mind I replaced all chains and tensioner but because it seems such a rare occurence on the A20NHT and not as common as other Insignias which are mostly diesel, nobody was familiar with the engine and there was a few hiccups on the way which I could've done without. Basically, if everthing is running fine, I wouldn't worry. Sorry for the long paragraphs

Comment

Working...
        X