Sunroof Sunroof maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof Sunroof maintenance

Nice weather is coming so I decided to clean and grease sunroof.

It was dirty but nothing like leaves or debris. Have some dirt that has to be scrapped...
    Left and right side:

After cleaning rails with cloth (that does not leave debris), I clean rails with medicine benzine (this is not necessary, I have it so I use it). Scraped dirt and use vacuum cleaner to remove it so it does not fall into rails or cabine.

Put new lithium grease where sunroof slide, open/close couple of times...

After, clean any grease got on rubber seal around glass, and cover it with glycerine(very cheap, bought in pharmacy), or silicone spray, vaseline, rub it with paraffin candle...anything for rubber.

When doing this, it is good idea to check drain holes and if you can blow compressed air in them. Holes are in corners of plastic cover, where corners of net folds.

You might also try to clean the exits of the drains, I twice had a lot of water in my car due to a blockage at the exit. On the Sport Tourer it is covered by some plastic under the 5th door.

Comment

I have hatchback, and dont know where rear drains are. I did remove plastic cover
      under 5th door where hinges are near top, but there is nothing (or I didnt see, couse I was working on other problem)

Edit:
      I found in part catalogue two hoses coming from each corner under roof panel but dont know where they end, somewhere around rear wheels. If it clogs hatch owners can have problem.

After cleaning sunroof, I notice that shade panel is moving easily. You can open/close it with less effort.
      Last edited by Oggy; 28-05-2019, 07:35 AM. Reason: Additionally info

Comment

Drain holes

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Here are locations of drain holes. Front are easily seen and accessed, but rear are bit tricky...
        Look at the position and shape of rear holes (right part of pic 2)...
        If you push something flexible into the rail, pushing it down, eventually it will go through hole...so it is not so hard to clean them

Front drain water behind plastic wheel arc cover to the door, where mudguards go.
        Rear ones drain somewhere in the bumper, in furthest corner.

Comment

Working...
        X