Low fuel warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low fuel warning

Hi, I'm new here, now a driver of a 2015 Insignia SC 2.0 cdti ecoflex and I love it. It's my first diesel car and I'm just left wondering why I didn't switch years ago. The fuel economy is amazing (having come from a 1.6 petrol Jetta).

Anyway, I searched here but didn't find a topic covering my question, but apologies for asking again if I missed it.

I've put diesel in twice now - I filled up the last time when the low fuel warning had just come on, with the fuel range still showing ~110 miles. The tank is 70L/15.4gal and it would only take 56L/12.3gal - I wanted to find out what remained in the tank once the light came on.

I know all the reasons for not letting a tank run very low but I'm just curious to know if any driver has any first-hand knowledge of how far they could reasonably go once the low fuel warning came on. Reason being is that it just appears to me that the warning is coming on very early... Many thanks for any input.

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
    Hi, I'm new here, now a driver of a 2015 Insignia SC 2.0 cdti ecoflex and I love it. It's my first diesel car and I'm just left wondering why I didn't switch years ago. The fuel economy is amazing (having come from a 1.6 petrol Jetta).

Anyway, I searched here but didn't find a topic covering my question, but apologies for asking again if I missed it.

I've put diesel in twice now - I filled up the last time when the low fuel warning had just come on, with the fuel range still showing ~110 miles. The tank is 70L/15.4gal and it would only take 56L/12.3gal - I wanted to find out what remained in the tank once the light came on.

I know all the reasons for not letting a tank run very low but I'm just curious to know if any driver has any first-hand knowledge of how far they could reasonably go once the low fuel warning came on. Reason being is that it just appears to me that the warning is coming on very early... Many thanks for any input.
    Mine comes on around 90 miles, the one you can dismiss. The next one comes on with approx 26 miles to go. This warning actually locks out the dash display. Iv had it below this. Tend to fill up around 50 miles left.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Same experience as Matt on my previous 2.0 CDTi, low fuel light on constant with 100 miles left, then at about 30 miles it flashed and overrode trip computer (which was really annoying, as surely when you're running low that's when you need to know how many miles you've got left)
      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

I never let mines go below 1/2 tank.
        I've seen mines at 3/4 full and ive topped up again.....so I honestly can't answer your question.

Comment

The warning will depend on what kind of mpg the car has recently achieved (stop-start driving or a DPF regen, for example).

When it says 'Fill fuel' and takes away your dash info display, you would be wise to fill up at the next available petrol station.
          This advice is from some experiments I've done when close enough to petrol stations to play a little 'fuel light roulette' in the name of science.

Most of the time after the displays are taken away you'll probably have enough to get to the second petrol station if it's not too far away, which is no bad thing because the first petrol station might be closed, out of fuel, or malfunctioning pumps.

Comment

Cheers for all the replies, great to know it's normal!

Comment

Working...
            X