Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Tourer steering wheel shudder at high speed after new tyres

Hi all

New to the forum and new to Insignia ownership but so far really liking the car. It is very spacious and has some good power, bought it for impending baby and to relegate the dog to the boot space.

Picked it up last week with 70k on the clock and full service history + new MOT, only thing it needed was new front tyres fitting which I had done on Friday.

I have noticed that around 70-80+ the car will drive find but the steering wheel shudders/vibrates and I can notice my phone on its holder vibrating slightly too. I'm confident it didn't do this before as I drove it home on the M25 and did not notice it. It is the only thing I can be critical of so I am keen to try to rectify it if I can.

Having a scan around some posts it seems it could be something to do with the fitting of the tyres? I assumed that I would just take it in for tracking/wheel alignment as a mobile fitter put the tyres on.

Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated and look forward to being more involved in the forum.

Thanks

Lee

Just sounds like the tyres have not been balanced properly

Comment

Hi Ian, thank you for the quick reply. Are a tyre place likely to do this independently for me if I turn up with the car?

Sure there will be a small cost. It certainly wasn't majorly troubling just annoying, did 500 miles Saturday/Sunday in it.

Comment

I had something similar after having new tyres on the front of mine. Recently fitted new front discs & pads pads & the when I put the wheels back on I put the locking nuts on the stud opposite the valve. Hey presto, vibration gone! The tyre fitters should be fitting the tyre with the heaviest part of the tyre opposite the valve, this part is signified by a coloured dot on the sidewall, most likely red.

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
          I had something similar after having new tyres on the front of mine. Recently fitted new front discs & pads pads & the when I put the wheels back on I put the locking nuts on the stud opposite the valve. Hey presto, vibration gone! The tyre fitters should be fitting the tyre with the heaviest part of the tyre opposite the valve, this part is signified by a coloured dot on the sidewall, most likely red.
          This sounds interesting, I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Might the tyre need to be refitted? OR you are saying that if I remove the wheel and rotate it so the red dot is in line/closest to the locking wheel nut then that could help it?

Thank you for your patience

Comment

You don't need to take the wheels off & and rotate them, just swap the nut opposite the valve with the locking nut.

They've possibly not been fitted wrong, just maybe not as they should be. Do the nut swap & then see how it goes, they may just need balancing again, that would be my 2nd course of action.

Comment

Thank you for that, I will try taking a look tonight if I get the chance but won't have time to get it out and up to speed to test it until the weekend.

I'll report back when I have tried this, thanks again.

Lee

Comment

Slight aside...if you're relegating the dog to the boot of your tourer take a look at these dog cages - http://www.safedog.co.uk

I've got a Large Single cage in the boot of my new Grand Sport Tourer now but initially had it in my old pre facelift. Means the dog isnt rattling about in the big boot, they are crash tested so not only is the dog protected to an extent they dont deform the back seat where the child is and it also means you can still use the boot without stuff bashing into the dog. This is mine installed in my old car.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee-CDTi 160 View Post
                  Hi Ian, thank you for the quick reply. Are a tyre place likely to do this independently for me if I turn up with the car?

Sure there will be a small cost. It certainly wasn't majorly troubling just annoying, did 500 miles Saturday/Sunday in it.
                  I've had this numerous times on the cars past and present. It's been sometimes the weights the fitter are slightly off, an alloy slightly bent, and cheaper tyres however it's always normally the weights on the rim are not quite in the right position. I've had so many done badly I've started to make sure the result in the balancing machine show 0-0 or withing 5 grams. That's based on the company had it recently calibrated!

Comment

It's going to be wheel balancing.
                    The dots aren't worth getting to caught up on. Some tyres have 0,1,2. Red and yellow mean different things, and should be mounted differently.

Get them rebalanced, wont cost much.

Comment

Why not take it back to wherever the tyres were fitted (take receipt with you) they should redo for nowt.

Comment

I had a mobile fitter out the tyres on and wasn't sure whether to trust him again.

Took it to Kwik Fit today and had them all done for £30, apparently they were way off. I won't get it up to speed to check for a week or two but hoping that has resolved it as it drives beautifully apart from that niggle.

I'll be looking to map it to 205bhp next as for £250 it seems silly not to.

Comment

Had the car out for a bit of a drive this weekend, didn't get it quite to 80mph but 70-75mph and drove very well so I believe it has gone and was down to the wheels being unbalanced.

Really pleased as I intend to do a lot of motorway driving in this and I really enjoy the comfort and power that it has.

Birthday next week so may treat myself to the remap.

Comment

Try and avoid the likes of kwick-shite ----they will try and take your eyes out with totally unnecessary work that isn't needed---find yourself a local indy tyre fitters who come recommended in your area-----then if you have problems you can go back-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                              Try and avoid the likes of kwick-shite ----they will try and take your eyes out with totally unnecessary work that isn't needed---find yourself a local indy tyre fitters who come recommended in your area-----then if you have problems you can go back-----Dave
                              I've gotta agree with Dave on this,

The clowns at Kwik Shite once told me i needed to have my wheel alignment done on all four wheels as...and i will quote...'your wheels tend to loose alignment within 6months of having them re-set', he then offered my a 'package' to enable me to drop in to any Kwik Shite up to 4 times a year to have them re -aligned.

I made a rather sharp exit that day i'll tell you...

as a footnote,
                              i did mention this to my local garage, and after he'd stopped laughing he offered to check the alignment for free just to confirm the bullshit Kwik Shite come out with..and guess what!! they were still as perfectly set up as the day my local garage had done them...nearly a year later.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X