HALDEX 4x4 oil and filter replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALDEX 4x4 oil and filter replacement

Finally, that day come...Haldex oil and filter change...I already change rear differential and front transfer box oil- this is final chapter in 4x4 trilogy!
    I was really anxious, hearing all that 4x4 malfunctions (mostly do to oil has never been changed- fill for life), and recalls for bad seal(not mine) and unadequan filter (mine)...
    Seeing what others took out I was really surprised with state of mine oil after 126.000km...It was dark, with shavings of metal but no greasy stuff or chunks of dirt. I'm probably not aggressive driver and rarely driving in "sport" mode- which transfer power to rear axle.

So let's get started...first you need Haldex clutch oil for gen IV and set with filter and gasket.
    OIL: GM 93165387 1940057 1L...very expensive
    replacement 20-30eur, some 1L some 850ml:
    Borg Warner 2000884 (owner of Haldex since 2011, so this is genuine too ) for gen II, III, IV and V (gen V is backward compatible)
    VW G055175A2 for gen IV 1L, for gen V it is G060175A2 850ml
    FEBI 101171 gen IV 1L, for gen V it is 101172 850ml
    RAVENOL AWD-H
    Volvo 31367940
    FILTER set GM 20986573 40-70eur
    BorgWarner 2006273

Raise car. It should be leveled, but if you want shorter version for filling rear right wheel should be higher then rest.
    Loosen check plug with 8mm allen/hex key and check oil level. It should be at level with hole. Mine was 3mm lower.

I remove clutch cover WITHOUT lowering axel, but it was very difficult, you can see on pic there is little room for accessing top bolts.
    I used this tool:

If you need to lower rear axel for more room to work, use jackstand to fix clutch assembly, then remove 2 bolts(think 18mm socket) from behinde, then 2 more from beneath. I prepare M12 bolt 20cm, to replace original from beneath, so I can fix assembly and lower it by unscrewing nut on that 20cm bolt.

Use cloth and clean around cover so no debrief fall in clutch.
    Remove 10pcs 4mm allen/hex screws, holding cover. I had most difficulty with two on top and one in hole...good thing is they aren't tighten, and when loosed could be unscrewed with fingers, very easily...

Remove cover and gently pull while pushing vent hose with big flat screwdriver. Now cover is removed.
    It was painful job, so I didn't take pictures. But, rest is no problem...
    Remove old gasket and pull out old filter.
    Clean cover, all dirt in clutch and white plastic filter on pump(can be removed with torx). If useing brake cleaner dont spray it on pump, presssure charger(top right corner) or in filter socket. Dirt is mainly in oil chamber, lower left portion where check hole is.

Pic from net

Oil oring on new filter and put it in place. Put new gasket on clutch. Take cover and put two top screws in place, also one in hole-if axle is not lowered.

Push away went hose and gently put back cover in place. Weegle cover while screwing top bolts with fingers just to stay in place. Do this for the one in hole. Now put all screws in place but dont tight them. When all screws are in place start tightining them in star pattern(up right, low left, low right, up left and so on...) to 6Nm.
    When all are tight, push vent hose back and put it on vent pipe, it should slide on. Pull it if needed.

Now fill part...
    GM tech document state that filling is done through vent pipe(with hose off), but can be done through check hole. Unscrew check plug (allen 8mm) and fill oil until it pour out. Plug hole and start car for 20 seconds so pump activate. Turn off engine, unscrew plug and fill it until oil pour out. Put plug back.
    I fill it with 230ml and 100ml more for second time. 330ml in total, same as old...

Test drive it and check for leaks. It would be good idea to check oil level after some driving.

OLD OIL AND FILTER

Really really nice write up. Can't believe no one ever said thank you.
    one of the best I seen on this forum really. Coming from AMG E55AMGW211 this forum is not so detailed as I was expecting until now

Comment

Originally posted by MartinOPC View Post
      Really really nice write up. Can't believe no one ever said thank you.
      one of the best I seen on this forum really. Coming from AMG E55AMGW211 this forum is not so detailed as I was expecting until now
      Most people on this forum aren't driving VXR models, so no one, except VXR owners who are having issues are going to search through looking for a HALDEX write up.
      So, if no one is looking for this or VXR owners aren't having issues, then their not going to go out their normal searching and read it.

And this isn't like any other forum, where owners are up their own arses.... we're everyday people who do everyday jobs....not car experts.

We need to rely on members who have had issues with certain things and hope they have taken pics and will do a write up.

As for write ups, you won't get any better a place for all things insignia.

Even the so called experts on Facecloth join here to steal the info.

Comment

Excuse me for thanking the man. Woow

Comment

thats ok....your excused

Comment

This is the best forum I have seen in my all my 19 years especially about the owners being up in their own Arses

A million thanks you to each and everyone who dedicate their own private time

Comment

It's certainly the best forum I've been on, Vectra-c was good and a lot have migrated to here now too...

Comment

Originally posted by MartinOPC View Post
                This is the best forum I have seen in my all my 19 years especially about the owners being up in their own Arses

A million thanks you to each and everyone who dedicate their own private time
                we all like a laugh on here buddy.............so don't take everything that's said as gospel or personal.

as I said, we're all ordinary people with mundane jobs who crawl through life unnoticed ........there may be some arsewipes who come out the woodwork but its only the decent ones who comeback and get more abuse.

and the knowledge of the members on here is priceless......the guys on here can save you a fortune

which is the best bit about this place.....saving money.......oh, the banter too.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

we all like a laugh on here buddy.............so don't take everything that's said as gospel or personal.

as I said, we're all ordinary people with mundane jobs who crawl through life unnoticed ........there may be some arsewipes who come out the woodwork but its only the decent ones who comeback and get more abuse.

and the knowledge of the members on here is priceless......the guys on here can save you a fortune

which is the best bit about this place.....saving money.......oh, the banter too.
                  Never have I heard so much crap in all my life, friendly, my back side ...

How are you my northern friend haha

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard View Post

Never have I heard so much crap in all my life, friendly, my back side ...

How are you my northern friend haha
                    Now.....where does it mention friendly???????

I never mentioned such a word.

I think it's about time Specsavers visited your care home and gave you a wee test.

I'm getting there bud.
                    Sloooooooooooowwwwwwllllyyyyy

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

.there may be some arsewipes who come out the woodwork .[/B][/I]
                      At potm time more so

​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post

At potm time more so
                        Very much so.......never to see them or hear from them.....until their eligible to enter again.

Comment

Anyone can tell me what are the symptoms to a failing Halfdex?

Went to Denmark on holliday 2.5 weeks ago been driving the car aprox 600 km, arrived to Copenhagen and suddenly it feels weird from the back especially when reversing and turning. But also when driving forward 1 and 2 gear (Manual tranny)
                          feels almost like the car is dragging the wheels.
                          I did change the rear break pads and right rear I was forced opening the valve a little sure there is air in it but could this cause this weird behavior I think not.

I love to hear you good people's feedback on this if anyone has experience with it?

Perhaps posting it here is wrong but due to we already it ongoing so nicely here I taught it would be perfect here.

(what are the changes this happens to me 4 days after i found this nice thread, or is is as they say dont start to look for problem that doesnt exist or does it

So just to be sure spoke to Opel Copenhagen and their verdict, DONT drive it any further as else you can cause it to be much worser and great cost so they picked it up 10 min ago on the way to for a diagnostic sucks the car otherwise drives like a charm been so happy for it and I won't quit on it of this is a haldex problem but crossing my fingers for now

Comment

Problem solved Diff Oil, filter and gasket changed no more Problems.

Comment

Thanks for a nice write-up.
                              Today i lower the rear axle,remowe the cover, and drain the oil. But why did they recomend to fill thru the vent tube? If oil level should be to the check hole, why not fill to the check hole?
                              The oil level in the rear diff, was right. I have i "AWD need service" on the dash.

Comment

Working...
                              X